water heater type question

KLL

Just to say... even a 10% voltage drop from turning on a heater doesn't seem "normal" to me. (?) Doesn't that indicate a distribution supply that is on the edge?

In The West it would warrant investigation, but that's not where we are ...

As we love to say TiT - The Land of Iffy Power.

I really think our OP is going to need a small tank and pump, 4.5L/min is too small, even a UK low-flow head is 7.1L/min. The manual does say lowest flow is 2L/min, that's really a dribble.

Can you measure the voltage at (or near) the heater with it running?

Anything above 190V should be just fine (198V is -10%).

i reported already 3 measurements, all same range

today at shower..

mains: 230VAC

drop to 207VAC or lower when heater is ON

rechecked at heater terminal, at any plug and also at PEA counter, so it is not a voltage drop in the house wires and possibly bad connections inthere.

also see on a plug at a other village, house, 4.5kW heater operation.

we used 3 different multimeter, service used a analog one and see dips min 190VAC

but if you say it is a dimmer application / phase control type? /

the Volt measurements are getting questionable, even it would be a full wave electronic like i know from old industrial heaters.

now i would need some playtime to build a scope like hardware, even for current measurement??

water flow:

well i measure without changing the setup and at 100% valve opening

i think removing the showerhead would show much more flow... but that data would not help.

i also reported that i can hear a click inside the heater when i open the water >25% valve position.

so that could be very well the FSL 2l/min,

but i must ask:

why we talk low flow now?

this time the heater is heating TOO MUCH, even if the water valve is closed!!!

we might talk about low flow if the heater is NOT HEATING because FSL >2l/min not activated...

why we talk low flow now?

this time the heater is heating TOO MUCH, even if the water valve is closed!!!

OK, take it back as it's obviously defective.

Do NOT accept a repair.

Get another brand of heater.

ok, for shopping need go back to the original question,
heater types?

now i asked other shop using the keyword
MULTI POINT

and i was shown (only) brand
STIEBEL ELTRON

Models 6 and 8 kW ( what are out of the question with my actual PEA electric power supply? )

http://www.stiebeleltronasia.com/showproduct.php?productcateid=4&producttypeid=44&productseriesid=84

interesting: piping example: https://goo.gl/photos/92T7VzusqfzwxkN48

need always water valves ( cold / hot ) mixer type?

could not get a answer what is the real difference to a single point ( besides the here used higher kW ).

- it is only adjustable to 3 temperature steps 40 / 50 / 60 degC but there with temperature and flow control

but i found in specification a remark: "design: Close Outlet"

in a german manual i found a remark "pressured operation"

THATS IT!

besides the need of a flow sensor ( what now i expect for all newer models and for single and multi-point types)

the multi-point models are for operation under pressure ( up to 10bar ) because the "multi" valves have to be on the outlet side,

while for a single-point model the valve is on the inlet side ( only ) and the unit not need to take high pressure,

unless there is a water shut-off position on the shower head spray dial??

ok, that's academic because it not solves any of my actual problems, but still wanted to share it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/17/2016 at 8:06 AM, DonaldBattles said:

I live in Chiang Rai and find that the 4.5 kw heaters are not enough during cold weather. I am in the process of changing to a gas hot water heater. It will cost less to operate and will provide sufficient hot water during cold water. In Mae Si you can buy 20,000 BTU unit for 3500 Baht.

I live in Loei province. It has the dubious reputation of being Thailand's coldest province. I had a cheap 5,200 watt water heater. It started acting strange so I replaced it. I bought a 4,500 watt Hitachi. The new Hitachi heats the water hotter at about the 75 percent setting that the cheap one turned all the way to maximum. I have never had to set the Hitachi to the maximum setting.

Archived