Briton Jailed in Pattaya on Defamation and Visa Overstay Charges

rooster59

Briton Jailed in Pattaya on Defamation and Visa Overstay Charges

post-247607-0-47881200-1468647450_thumb.

Andrew Ronald Matthews (center) was taken into custody by Chonburi immigration Officials

Fifty-two year old British national, Andrew Ronald Mathews, has been jailed again on charges of defamation and for visa overstay.

Mathews was arrested on July 5 at his View Talay condo in Jomtien Beach after accusations he had been ‘harassing Thai nationals’ online. He was then discovered to have overstayed his visa by 587 days.

Mathews has been jailed twice before, in November 2014 and March 2016. Immigration officials claim that at this time he has six active cases pending against him in the Thai courts.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/227570/briton-jailed-pattaya-defamation-visa-overstay-charges/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2016-07-16

A lot more into this story. He has had big problems with another farang, do not judge him.

Tell us more......whistling.gif

But the overstay cannot be dismissed by anyone...

Agree with what Bernard Flint is saying, do not judge him.

As for overstaying, how can he be charged for overstaying when the authorities are preventing him from leaving the country due to his pending court cases?

Here's an extract from the article written a few days ago:

"It was found that Mathews was named as a defendant in six cases being considered by Pattaya courts and a directive had been issued to stop him fleeing the kingdom."

The court have had his passport for 2 years. They won't let him leave, and he refuses to apply for extensions as he doesn't want to stay.

Now remember the extensions he could apply for are a form of extortion, they would only give him 1 month at a time costing 1,900bht each month + paperwork.

He was arrested in November 2014, when they confiscated his passport.

Count the days from then until now ..... somewhere between 500 and 600 days.

So, 'harassing Thai nationals online' constitutes defamation in this country?

Should be a big wake up call to Regime bashers here on TV. They are coming for you

Its just a foolish thing to be doing

A lot more into this story. He has had big problems with another farang, do not judge him.

Don't need to judge him a real judge has judged him end of. He could have got out if he wanted before it all started but decided to bury his head. Don't want to see anyone locked up but.

Having had the misfortune to witness many of Mathew's ‘wonderful personal attributes’ myself, all I can say is that Karma sure has taken its sweet time to catch up with him. And, I’m sure there will be no shortage of those personally agreeved raising a glass in toast to justice Thai style tonight!

Unfortunately for some, yet fortunately for others, what goes around does eventually come around to bite one in the ass!

The guy has been involved with bad company and received bad advice from foreigners he believed were ' connected within the Thai legal system and in the know ' He has been tricked and conned out of money and is at the end of his tether. The man is on the verge of a serious breakdown.

Most of these charges against him are regards Thailand's infamous ' libel laws ' and have been instigated by the very people who have cheated him out of money.

The alleged injured parties who brought these charges have themselves also skipped Thailand and it is without a doubt that they will NOT return as they are on multiple charges of theft and dishonesty and have jumped bail conditions and there are warrants out for their arrests.

Moving now to his overstay, what he should be doing is reporting to Immigration and then an appointed officer goes to Pattaya court and clears his stay with the court otherwise he is technically on overstay { in their eyes and their rules } He does not have to pay any fees for these extensions as he is here by order of the court and cannot leave. However, foreigners are never told this important piece of information and are just expected to know it by themselves which in itself, is a disgrace.

So, in essence, his charges are nowhere as bad as the newspapers imply nor do they give his side of the story.

The online comments regarding insulting Thais , I know nothing about, but I can guess it will be related to the treatment he has received from the so called ' authorities ' What I do know is this, Thais are treated a DAMN SIGHT BETTER IN THE UK than they treat UK citizens in Thailand.

A lot of Thais are up to no good in the UK as well, prostituting, overstay, selling and growing drugs etc, I know this for a fact. It is because of the UK leniency in convictions and sentencing that they take these risks for the financial rewards outweigh the punishment in their view.

Regards to the Thai police,, they couldn't get a job as a ' lollipop man ' at a zebra crossing in the UK with their piss poor education and knowledge of the law.

Whatever the inside story, my judgement is that with 587 days of overstay in current junta-led Thailand under his belt, he is at least been a tiny bit stupid, if not reckless and ignorant.

The court have had his passport for 2 years. They won't let him leave, and he refuses to apply for extensions as he doesn't want to stay.

Now remember the extensions he could apply for are a form of extortion, they would only give him 1 month at a time costing 1,900bht each month + paperwork.

He was arrested in November 2014, when they confiscated his passport.

Count the days from then until now ..... somewhere between 500 and 600 days.

Still he vocked up somewhere, otherwise you do not get arrested imo.

And please do not believe everything you read on Drummond's web <deleted>.

Flog him,hang draw and quarter him,deport him,transport him to Aus.life ban.Skin him alive.My god,what is it with you people?

Dont judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes.There but for the grace of god, go i.This is Thailand and we are all here for one reason or another.the main one is that we could never maintain stable relationships in our own country.but you come here and all of a sudden you are judge F###in jefferies.

Why dont you wait and see what the true reason for all this is.Thats if we ever hear of course.

Archived