Thai sex industry under fire from tourism minister, police

rooster59

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck to her, it's an industry riddled with crime, disease, drugs and despair. The country might start to be a decent place with less of it, although you cannot get rid of it completely, filth is best swept away as much as possible.

Thank you. I fully agree.

Winnie

It may mean families start coming to Thailand now that would be a first. The TAT has always advertised the so called night life in Bangkok and Pattaya. Nice change I for one fully support it.

why a first??? I see families everywhere I go? beach resorts, spas, temples FULL of families and that's great! that has NO bearing on the fullest sex industry on earth which is why single, adult males come here in droves not just the 'professional' sex but the tons of 'dek sideliners' and 'flexible' attitude of thai girls

No righteous minister for whatever of the Junta is going to change that (thank God)

The "why single, adult males come here in droves not just the 'professional' sex but the tons of 'dek sideliners' and 'flexible' attitude of thai girls

" ones you are referring to are the queers and desperate's.

don't think so old son... most Thai girls have a 'flexible' attitude to 'exchange' and if you don't know that you don't know Thailand and I'm talking here about office girls, nurses, shop workers and all those 'respectable' types etc.

nothing queer (?) or desperate about these guys and gals

Catering for dirty old men isn't really applicable in the 21st century. I must admit picturing a young pretty Thai lady barely 20 years old, with a drooling fart, old enough to be her grandfather is quite repulsive. In EU this would be considered unacceptable. Regretfully, Thailand does seemingly attract the dregs of society .. the sex tourists, perverts, and criminals. Most come after failing to attract a woman in their home country, (which is not surprising). So they come to LOS, as looks/age don't matter, so long as you have a fat bank account. I have witnessed 60 year-old men acting like a 21 year-old, which just looks ridiculous. Would be nice if Thailand cleaned-up it's act. The bars, and whore-houses were catering for the US service men at the time of the Vietnam war, well those days are gone. Time to clean-up the image of the country that is for sure.

If we are turning this into a poll - my vote is in favour of prettys young things continuing to service the demand for sex.

Puritanical posts like the above are as asinine as they are ignorant. Thai ladies have been servicing the sexual needs of Thai males for centuries; US servicemen simply provided a new market and that has been superseded by the multinational visitors coming to Pattaya etc.

As an old man with a fat bank account I am very happy to support the continuation of the sex-tourist industry.

I take some satisfaction in knowing that I have helped a number of girls stay out of their Isaan rubber plantations - and also helped to put food in the mouths of their bastard offspring that are being raised by Mama,

Watch the GDP plunge 30-60%. gigglem.gif

How when tourism altogether is only 10% of GDP? Sex tourism is a small minority of this, the economy can survive westerners hand outs to the whore industry. Who are the largest numbers of tourists, Chinese and western backpackers, how many of those are interested in buying sex?

This man clearly, doesn't know his job or doesn't read the incoming tourists statistics, majority of male

tourist to the kingdom has to do wit a quest for some kind of sexual gratification of some sort,

if he ever bothered to leave his ivory tower and go down and mingle with the masses, he'd soon learn

that sex tourism is a major revenues earner, and by eliminating it, he'd be putting out as many as a million

hospitality workers that otherwise will go underground and still will ply their trade,

And if you bothered to read the report you would know that he is a she.

How when tourism altogether is only 10% of GDP? Sex tourism is a small minority of this, the economy can survive westerners hand outs to the whore industry. Who are the largest numbers of tourists, Chinese and western backpackers, how many of those are interested in buying sex?

because it's not counted and actually represents BILLIONS in 'hidden' income and so is not part of the GDP 10%

I don't mind them closing the soapies, gogos and bar beers…most of them are a pain and attract the scummiest thai males possible….the kind that beat farangs to death at the slightest excuse.

But leave my discos and freelancers alone.

They're dreaming if they think they can make honest women out of hos….which honourable minister is going to step up and create the jobs needed for that?

You can pick these woman up anywhere these days….Ive even scored in a salad bar.

Removing some form of the industry might be a blessing. There is just too much of it in your face in Thailand.

Thailand can do without. Take away the international sex label and Thailand might grow up somewhat.

I don't mind them closing the soapies, gogos and bar beers…most of them are a pain and attract the scummiest thai males possible….the kind that beat farangs to death at the slightest excuse.

But leave my discos and freelancers alone.

They're dreaming if they think they can make honest women out of hos….which honourable minister is going to step up and create the jobs needed for that?

You can pick these woman up anywhere these days….Ive even scored in a salad bar.

agreed I hardly ever frequent go-gos and never soapies but, as you say, leave my dek sideliners (freelancers) alone!!! and, as you do, I get them everywhere and happy to pay 'gas' for their car or bike

salad bar? you might get in a pickle with that giggle.gif

really, Thai girls are totally flexible and I luv em for it!

because it's not counted and actually represents BILLIONS in 'hidden' income and so is not part of the GDP 10%

if it's not counted and hidden how do you know it's 'billions'? sounds like wishful thinking to make exploitation seem more acceptable, of course if it was your daughter it would be 'different' no doubt.

agreed I hardly ever frequent go-gos and never soapies but, as you say, leave my dek sideliners (freelancers) alone!!! and, as you do, I get them everywhere and happy to pay 'gas' for their car or bike

salad bar? you might get in a pickle with that giggle.gif

really, Thai girls are totally flexible and I luv em for it!

So you admit to being a user of prostitutes, no wonder you support the industry then.

How would you care to explain the rising prices and falling numbers in places like Nana plaza parking and soi cowboy?

I used to buy all my house furniture in a discount furniture store (DFS, Army and Navy, etc.), now I buy online and the furniture stores are all closing.

Not going to argue with your graph at all, however.

How many average Thais in and around the tourists spots benefit from the largest group, China? Very few, their money goes to the Sino/Thai corporations that own the major hotels souvenir shops etc etc. Talking to my friends around Jomtien/Pattaya they insist the Chinese spend no money or very little and are more of a problem than a gain as they just force all the other hotels and venues to reduce prices.

How many of the Malaysian/Singaporean tourists head off to the south for cheap sex? Huge numbers, don't forget them.

If the sex industry was to be closed, which will never happen, the amount of tourists lost would never be replaced by families as others have put it, Thailand to a large extent has had it's day.

Also what will all the sex workers do and what will all the all the peripheral businesses do, Hotels, Bars, Restaurants etc do when this closes? It will put probably put hundreds of thousands if not millions out of work.

Finally Thailand has promoted this lifestyle as long as I can remember and I have been coming here a long time. Theycan hardly shut it down as far too many of the establishment benefit enormously from it.

"If the sex industry was to be closed, which will never happen, the amount of tourists lost would never be replaced by families as others have put it, Thailand to a large extent has had it's day."

Indeed it has. I also believe that Thailand is in decline. Everything goes in cycles, and if Thailand is ever to develop a reputation for being a good member of the international community, then the cycle must run its course, because Thais have done a pretty awful job of doing that with the current shape of their society. The government of Thailand, legitimate or illegitimate, has no power to arrest the cycles, they may modify them slightly but I believe the decline will continue, whatever they do. When it's time, it's time.

But at least, they can clean up some of the worst excesses of Thai society, though I doubt that's the real intent of the government. Using the state of the society they've already developed as an indicator, any beneficial changes are more likely to be accidental than deliberate. To paraphrase what Napoleon once wrote, "do not attribute to the planning of this military government what is adequately explained by complete incompetence".

Winnie

The minister has no idea. Get rid of the seedy side of Thailand and people will go elsewhere. People on holiday are looking for a contrast from the daily normality of life.

And there is nothing normal about Thailand!

Ain't that the truth. There is absolutely NOTHING normal about Thailand. Shutting down the sex industry would send Thailand into a serious financial black hole. No more money to Issan, not to mention all the Hi-Sos who make their money off the Issan girls working on their backs.

One thing is for sure, if this country goes all nanny state, especially with regards to sex, I am outa here. I can get the puritanical BS back in North America, and with far better living and social conditions.

Funny stuff. My general rule when trying to figure out what

the government is doing, is to follow the money. Looks to me

like a minor shakedown to pump up tea money. Hard to believe

the tourism minister is about to shut off a multi billion dollar

source of income for poor Isan farm girls. But I suppose

as the tourism minister, must be sort of embarrassing

to realize such a large chunk of tourism income is from

prostitution.....Or perhaps the wrong group of people is

profiting from this trade, and they need to be whacked down

a notch. Will be interesting to see how Thai men react, as

any thinking person knows 90% of the entire industry is for

them.

How would you care to explain the rising prices and falling numbers in places like Nana plaza parking and soi cowboy?

I used to buy all my house furniture in a discount furniture store (DFS, Army and Navy, etc.), now I buy online and the furniture stores are all closing.

I fear that the subtlety of that comment will be lost on many! clap2.gif

The minister has no idea. Get rid of the seedy side of Thailand and people will go elsewhere. People on holiday are looking for a contrast from the daily normality of life.

Ain't that the truth. There is absolutely NOTHING normal about Thailand. Shutting down the sex industry would send Thailand into a serious financial black hole. No more money to Issan, not to mention all the Hi-Sos who make their money off the Issan girls working on their backs.

One thing is for sure, if this country goes all nanny state, especially with regards to sex, I am outa here. I can get the puritanical BS back in North America, and with far better living and social conditions.

True. Thailand without the raucous sex industry, would end up

as a sort of dirty version of Malaysia....In other words, boring.

If this is the best idea the current government can come up with,

soon everyone in Isan will be clamoring for the return of Thaksin.

Can not be good for rubber prices if they stop prostitution......

How little you know, plans are being made in samui to cover their rapidly growing garbage mountain in rubberized canvas.

How many foreign pecker equivalents would it take to cover a few rai?

If it wasn't for the sex industry cows would still roam in the single strip Don Muang airport. Totty brought all the business in, Thais should celebrate their status as the largest brothel in the world.

I don't agree. Provide decent social support for poor Thais and the attraction of taking money to let Joe Farang satisfy his carnal needs using your body, will diminish.

Prostitution exists everywhere, there's nothing one can do to stop it, anymore than you can stop dogs copulating in the sois. But the sex trade in Thailand needs to be reduced to a background noise consistent with the rest of the world, and Thailand badly needs to curtail its reputation for being a sex-tourist destination. Whilst probably only being indirectly linked, this would most likely also drastically reduce the incidence of paedophilia in Thailand, which is currently rampant, and the reputation that Thailand has for being more-or-less a safe haven for criminals of all descriptions.

Many good things are likely to result, whether by design or not.

Winnie

More myths from the mongers, Issan does not depend on hand outs to nois and leks families spent on booze and gambling, sorry to burst your bubble. Out of here if no more sex industry at cheap prices?, well hopefully we will be bidding you goodbye soon then, the country can well do without western sexpat predators.

True. Thailand without the raucous sex industry, would end up

as a sort of dirty version of Malaysia....In other words, boring.

If this is the best idea the current government can come up with,

soon everyone in Isan will be clamoring for the return of Thaksin.

Boring only for decadent sex tourists, for decent folk not interested in prostitution it would be a better place.

Yes I am sure the girls in the bars making serious money,

will be so happy to work in a factory making 10,000 baht

a month. But I guess no more marriages to farangs ,

as I am pretty sure the factory life would make it difficult

to meet Mr. Right...

More myths from the mongers, Issan does not depend on hand outs to nois and leks families spent on booze and gambling, sorry to burst your bubble. Out of here if no more sex industry at cheap prices?, well hopefully we will be bidding you goodbye soon then, the country can well do without western sexpat predators.

90% of the sex trade is for the benefit of Thai men. How do you fit

that into your Isan financial flow chart ??

Archived