Krabi lawyer charged for speaking out against referendum

snoop1130

Krabi lawyer charged for speaking out against referendum
Kritsada Mueanhawong

post-249866-0-22631200-1468930917_thumb.
Mr Chuwong (2nd left) became the first person in Krabi to breach the Referendum Act. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

KRABI:-- A Krabi lawyer surrendered himself to the police on Saturday after he became a ‘wanted’ man for breaching the Public Referendum Act via a Facebook post.

Chuwong Maneekul, 51, expressed his opposition to the referendum and its authors on his Facebook page about two weeks ago.

“I posted the status to express my feelings without any hidden agendas, but by the next day I was informed by an officer that a case had been filed against me,” said Mr Chuwong. “So, I decided to give myself up to the Krabi City Police.”

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Krabi-lawyer-charged-speaking-against-referendum/65236?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-07-19

Election Commissioner Somchai reiterated that people can express their opinions about the draft charter. He clarified that this expression can be in agreement or disagreement, as long as it is based on the truth, made in a polite manner, and does [not] incite social unrest.

On the other hand, DPM Prawit says that public announcements in support of or against the draft constitution through the media is not permissible

Chuwong becomes a wanted man.

Former Democrat heavyweight Suthep Thuagsuban announced that he is ready to face legal action from the Election Commission if his public statement in support of the draft constitution he made is deemed a violation of the Referendum Act.

Suthep remains free and unquestioned.

If the process of a referendum is garbage, so too is the product.

Archived