Cr To Chiang Khong?

Focus

Hi, I need some travel advice:

I fly into Chiang Rai from BKK at 11:50 a.m. in January and my ultimate destination is Luang Namtha in Laos. I want to travel from Chiang Rai to Chiang Khong. I might just go directly from the CR airport.

Question/s 1: how long might it take to go from CR to Chiang Khong? I assume bus will be my mode of transport. Is there any transport directly from the airport to Chiang Khong or will I have to go into town to the bus station?

Question 2: I understand Chiang Saen is worth a visit; is it feasible to go through there, and stop for lunch, on the way to Chiang Khong and still do CR to Chiang Khong by night fall, having arrived in CR at time mentioned above?

I plan to spend a week or so in northern Laos, then on the return journey spend a couple of days in Chiang Rai before heading back to BKK. Any recommendations on good guest houses in the 800 to 1000 baht a night range? I don't mind cheaper either, say, 500 bht.

Any advice will appreciated. Cheers.

I plan to spend a week or so in northern Laos, then on the return journey spend a couple of days in Chiang Rai before heading back to BKK. Any recommendations on good guest houses in the 800 to 1000 baht a night range? I don't mind cheaper either, say, 500 bht.

Go to the old airport, there are plenty of cheap, good clean hotels below 500 baht.

Whatever places you want to go in chiang rai, you still have to catch a bus in town bus terminal.

Edited by Thaising

You arrive at noon.

Give yourself one hour to get to town and get on a bus to Chiang Khong....maybe two hours since I think there is only one bus every hour.

The bus ride will probably be 3 or 4 hours...I hope someone comes on with a better estimate.....but anyway you will arrive at Chiang Khong near the time the sun sets.

Another option is to take the bus the Chiang Saen which will take just as long as the bus to Chiang Khong so you would arrive in Chiang Saen near the time the sun sets.

Looks like lunch in Chiang Saen or Chiang Khong is not going to work unless you like really late lunches. Maybe have lunch in Chiangrai while waiting for the bus?

Chownah

P.S. Years ago I stayed at Chat House and it had basic/small/clean rooms with HOT water for relatively cheap.

Chownah

Edited by chownah

As the other guys says, you have to go back to town to get the bus.

My favourite guesthouse is Baan Bua on Yet Jod. 500 m from busstation and in the middle of what you probably want to see. 200-300 bath.

Have a good time in Laos and give us a report!

:o:D:D

Hi, I need some travel advice:

I fly into Chiang Rai from BKK at 11:50 a.m. in January and my ultimate destination is Luang Namtha in Laos. I want to travel from Chiang Rai to Chiang Khong. I might just go directly from the CR airport.

Question/s 1: how long might it take to go from CR to Chiang Khong? I assume bus will be my mode of transport. Is there any transport directly from the airport to Chiang Khong or will I have to go into town to the bus station?

Question 2: I understand Chiang Saen is worth a visit; is it feasible to go through there, and stop for lunch, on the way to Chiang Khong and still do CR to Chiang Khong by night fall, having arrived in CR at time mentioned above?

There are lots of raods to Chiang Khong. One of the roads to Chiang Khong is via Chiang Saan. The road is in good condition and some believe from the center of town it is the fastest road. The airport is north of town, already out of the traffic jam and on the way to chiang saan!

If you take the bus. You will need to go through all the traffic jam to get to the bus station. If you higher a taxi from the airport, you will save a couple of important hours.

My advice to you. Organize in advance to get a vehicle and driver to pick you up in the airport. Tell them your plans. That is to bring you to Chiang Saan for a couple of hours and then to Chiang Khong. If you try to organize from the airport, it will cost you a high overprice. So try to organize it in advance and you can get a much better price and better vehicle!

Potter,

Thanks for the tip about organizing in advance some private transportation directly from Chiang Rai airport to Chiang Khong, via Chiang Saen:

Do you, or anybody else on the Forum, happen to know a driver I could contact in advance?

Thanks again.

Focus

From the airport go to the highway. A green bus will come along about every 20 minutes going to Chiang Saen.Thats north so u will have to cross the road to get the bus going that way. It takes about 75 minutes. Don't get the bus to Mae Sai, its also green.

There are hotels & guest houses in Chiang Saen but none I would recommend

At the T junction in Chiang Saen [ next to the river] turn right to find pickups going to Chiang Khong. There are not many pickups & they do not run very late in the day.The pickups follow the Mekhong, good views.Sometimes there is a bus at about 3.30pm but this is not ever for sure.

Could also take a boat from Chiang Saen to Chiang Khong.Speedboats , take ear plugs .

Potter,

Thanks for the tip about organizing in advance some private transportation directly from Chiang Rai airport to Chiang Khong, via Chiang Saen:

Do you, or anybody else on the Forum, happen to know a driver I could contact in advance?

Thanks again.

Focus

I always drive myself or my wife does. I dont know about any private taxis. I am out of town for a week. The taxi should not be that expensive. I would think 2000 should be about a fair price for both of you. Also remember the comfort you gain by this. You just arrive with all your heavy luggage to a forreign place and you will need to use the local transportation, which is both energy and time consuming. Pay the couple of thousand baht for a taxi. With a taxi you can do it all in one day!

From the airport to Chiang Saen in 75 minutes in the local bus! I'm surprised its that fast. Seems like it took that long (or longer) driving a car but I don't remember for sure. Doesn't the Chiang Saen bus stop everywhere like the Chiang Khong bus?

Are there taxis in Chiang Rai?....I don't think I've ever seen one...but then I've never really looked for them either.

Chownah

Potter, thanks for the estimate (2000 baht) on the taxi from the CR airport to Chiang Khong via Chiang Saen. I can afford that. I'll be roughing it a bit after I get to Laos so I don't mind the minor splurge for some comfort and convenience right after I step off the plane.

Thanks again.

My Friend I,

Thanks for the tip about the green busses and the route via Chiang Saen. I think that will be Plan B if Plan A, the taxi from the CR airport for 2000 baht, doesn't work out. Not sure about Plan C.

Thanks,

Focus.....

I worked in Northern Laos upto May 2005 working on the new road project connecting N Thailand with S China through N Laos, the new road passes through Luang Namtha.

I made the journey via Chiang Khong on many occasions, always using private taxi Khun Chai who would pick me up at or drop me off at CR airport in his comfortable Izuzu double cab.

Suggest you contact Khun Chai who will meet you at CR airport and drive you to Chiang Khong, you should have time to go via Chiang Saen. Cost should be about 1000 – 1200 Baht for the one way trip.

Suggest you stay in Chiang Khong for the night (Baht 500) in one of the many guest houses overlooking the river, Chai will show you, he lives in Chiang Khong. Then cross the river in the morning to Houay Xai where you can catch the bus or hire a car to take you to Luang Namtha.

I’ll PM you Chai’s mobile number, you will need some one to speak Thai.

Malcolminthemiddle,

Thanks heaps for Khun Chai's phone number. I will definitely try to get in touch with him to arrange for him to meet me at CR airport and take me to Chiang Khong via Chiang Saen, with a stop for lunch.

Thai language is going to be a problem to call him in advance to arrange the deal, but I can look around here for a Thai person to call him for me, hopefully.

Thanks again.

Focus....

Potter, thanks for the estimate (2000 baht) on the taxi from the CR airport to Chiang Khong via Chiang Saen. I can afford that. I'll be roughing it a bit after I get to Laos so I don't mind the minor splurge for some comfort and convenience right after I step off the plane.

Thanks again.

The trip is less than 140 kilometers.

there are arguments to pay more than 1200 baht.

* You dont know the guy

* He will have to pick you up at the airport and if your airplane gets delayd you should probably tip him accordingly

* You will need a stop in Chiang Saan for x amount time.

Good Luck with your journey!