AXA health and travel insurance dussent cover depression for German man

Broeno

A German friend of mine has a AXA health and travel insurance.

One month ago he went to Thailand and got in a depression two weeks later. He needs psychiatric and medical treatment.

When he informed his insurance, they answered him that they don't cover this.

In there terms and conditions they say that leaving your country with a mental illness, this will not be covered.

He informed them that his depression started two weeks after arriving in Thailand. Still their answer is that they don't cover this.

What can he do in a situation that he's not able to go somewhere and is depending of people of good will to support him.

If AXA policy emitted from Germany, when he is back to his country of residence ( it is a travel insurance he have ), proceed with the claim under local laws . Possibly he will need to prove that he never suffered from depression in Germany or it may be seen as a previous illness by the insurance.

If AXA policy emitted in Thailand read all exclusion in the polcy....good luck with his claim.under Thai law. !

Thank you for your replay.

The AXA policy was emitted in Germany and it was a travel and health insurance.

Aldo my friend had depressions before, and was successful treated, it was not excluded. They only say in their terms and conditions that a illness will not be covered when it already appeared before traveling. At the moment the start traveling, he was not depressed.

It looks like AXA is making a interpretation that saves them money

He dussent have enough money to pay for a psychiatrist and medicine and a flight back, except for the date on his ticket after two months.

They just let him suffer with a one line answer. They did it over again when I wrote them a email with questions about their terms and conditions.

It is because I care for him, but he can't go out or talk to people.

If he has enough money to live for the next 2 months he has enough to buy a ticket home to get treatment.

If he has suffered from depression before then it is classed as pre-existing but regardless mental illnesses are not covered by most travel insurers.

Put him on a plane home

This is what AXA excludes:

• Any conditions you had, or had symptoms of, before joining - unless you choose to have their medical history ignored
  • Ongoing, recurrent or long-term illnesses (known as chronic conditions)
  • Physiotherapy, consultations, psychiatric treatment and complementary practitioner treatment as an out-patient (unless you choose the out-patient option)

So it will be clear to him that he is on his own (in case of his insurance.

I hope that makes him, and i think many others, have a good look at the T&Cs with a travel insurance.

He has the money to take a flight back, but at this moment this is a bad scenario for him.

This is what AXA excludes:

• Any conditions you had, or had symptoms of, before joining - unless you choose to have their medical history ignored
  • Ongoing, recurrent or long-term illnesses (known as chronic conditions)
  • Physiotherapy, consultations, psychiatric treatment and complementary practitioner treatment as an out-patient (unless you choose the out-patient option)

So it will be clear to him that he is on his own (in case of his insurance.

I hope that makes him, and i think many others, have a good look at the T&Cs with a travel insurance.

He has the money to take a flight back, but at this moment this is a bad scenario for him.

Maybe keep talking to him and encourage him regularly to take a flight home, unless you think its passing depression. I'm guessing he was probably depressed or getting that way before he left.

Pattaya is sanctuary to some, and if it doesn't go to plan can be a source of depression.

Archived