Meeting arriving passengers at DM

DipStick

Can anyone kindly update me on procedures for meeting an international arrival at DM.

Just to put the records straight, I first landed there from HK in 1978. In 2002 I was transferred to BKK and continued to use DM until Swampy opened its doors.

I do realise that DM was closed for a considerable period, and prior to reopening I would imagine that a lot of work was done to the airport to bring it up,to date.

My wife is arriving there on Tuesday, so if anyone can Tell me where I can park my car, which terminal is international and any other tips, I would be very thankful.

Many thanks

There are 3 car parks, although they fill up quickly. I parked in car park 3 last week and it was a 1km walk to the terminal. It only cost 40 baht for 2 hours though. The terminals are just labelled 'domestic' and 'international' and they're attached to each other.

Parking at DM is a nightmare - if your wife has a usable phone on arrival, I would wait nearby somewhere until she phones to say she is nearly through to the main exit and then go and pick her up. Good luck.

Thanks for all of your comments, very helpful and certainly confirms my worries. So next question, is it relatively easy to get a taxi out of DM ?

There are taxis available near the main exit but there is always big lines of pax waiting. As you have not been there for a considerable time, if you do decide to drive, be advised all the ''Blue'' airport signs point to the new airport, the first time I saw a sign saying ''Don Mueang'' was when I got within a kilometer from it. Without the car GPS I would have failed.

As situation has changed a few times since they started re-using the old t2, I do not know current details. Terminal may depend on airline used.

As for taxi: as above-the taxi Q at booth is mostly horrible and can take up to 1 hr.

BUT its daft-Thai easy to get a taximeter, even without the 50 bt airport fee, at the BUSstop-in fact they are likely already waiting for you and not reverse. That of course for going Into town=southbound. BUSstop is north end of T1 and thus quite far from new t2.

Parking at DM is a nightmare - if your wife has a usable phone on arrival, I would wait nearby somewhere until she phones to say she is nearly through to the main exit and then go and pick her up. Good luck.

I found the car parks easy to find although 1 & 2 were full and 3 was a long walk from both terminals. But very cheap!

Archived