Noel Thomas - Farewell Old Friend.

Mobi

I have been thinking about Noel most of the day and one thought keeps popping up. If anyone was going to take advantage of the publicity that his passing has caused, it would have been Noel himself. He was never one to miss an opportunity to raise some money through the 'Jai Dee' appeal for the Camillian Centre. As he is not able to do it perhaps we can assist him in our own ways to help him achieve his 2 million Baht target, by encouraging our friends to donate a little to the Jai Dee appeal.

Please visit this website: http://www.bahtbus.com/csc/

Agree 100%, mpd, well thought out, the last thing he would wont is nothing to come out of his passing.

I knew Noel for a short time - too short a time. He was always so cheerful, always a twinkle in his eyes even knowing he had a very serious condition. May he rest in peace and may his family and friends and girlfriend be comforted knowing that they were a very large part of his joy of living.

I like the idea of contributing to the Camillian Center to honour his memory. Jai Dee - a very apt description of both Noel and the project.

I have been thinking about Noel most of the day and one thought keeps popping up. If anyone was going to take advantage of the publicity that his passing has caused, it would have been Noel himself. He was never one to miss an opportunity to raise some money through the 'Jai Dee' appeal for the Camillian Centre. As he is not able to do it perhaps we can assist him in our own ways to help him achieve his 2 million Baht target, by encouraging our friends to donate a little to the Jai Dee appeal.

One more thought. Can one of the Mods move this thread into the general forum where it will be seen by far more members, baring in mind that Noel contributed to many of the sections in Thai visa.

I have been thinking about Noel all day.

I had just posted a comment on another forum, wondering how his operation had gone, when a new email popped up telling me the sad news.

I knew he was very ill – the poor guy could hardly eat – the only thing he could get down was ice cream. I had a long chat with him on Thursday night, over the phone, and he was so cheerful, positive and determined to come through his ordeal. He joked about everything – the difficulty in swallowing ice-cream, what the nurses would look like when he checked into the operating theatre – everything and anything – and still cursing BUPA who had tried to screw him on his treatment. And we shared yet more horror stories of a hospital a bit nearer to home than Bumrungrad.

We also chatted about TV forum, and all the tossers, and oddballs and the good guys and bad guys, and how it was a microcosm of life itself, and how humorous it all was.

But at the same time, Noel knew his chances were so slim, because he had made all the arrangements in advance in case things went badly – even to the extent of getting his closest friend to line up emails to send to his friends.

Ironically, this forum came to my attention after Noel’s noble efforts for the Camillian centre, following the traumatic events surrounding Aom, who he helped so unsparingly.

He then became a personal friend, when he went into bat for me when I had a little contretemps with the mods on TV. If it hadn’t been for Noel’s tireless efforts, I wouldn’t be writing this, as I was originally suspended for 999 days.

Then, when I brought the forum’s attention to the plight of the Pattaya Street kids, he gave me much advice and encouragement behind the scenes, even though he was dedicated to raising money elsewhere. He even made personal contributions to the kids’ Centre.

As I said in my opening Post: “why does it always happen to the good ones?” I wish I knew the answer, and I wish I had some assurance that Noel is now in a better place. For those who do believe; please pray for him.

And I can think of nothing better than for us to help the cause that was so dear to his heart – The Camillian Centre – and agree with Marshbags and others that it would be a fitting memory to a kind, gentle, selfless man, who was an inspiration to all who knew him.

Rest in Peace, Noel, my friend.

A very thoughtful and somehow very fitting way to honor Noel and his efforts to ease the pain of others, I never had the pleasure of meeting the man other than vicariously thru TV.

Perhaps someone with connections to Bahtbus could suggest that the the fund be renamed the Noel Thomas Jai Dee Appeal and create a fitting memory of the man.

I am sure that thoughts and prayers for the friends Noel left behind will not go unappreciated.

A very thoughtful and somehow very fitting way to honor Noel and his efforts to ease the pain of others, I never had the pleasure of meeting the man other than vicariously thru TV.

Perhaps someone with connections to Bahtbus could suggest that the the fund be renamed the Noel Thomas Jai Dee Appeal and create a fitting memory of the man.

Done.

http://www.bahtbus.com/csc/

Edited by donkeykong

Done.

Somehow I think Noel would feel honored and happy to know that his efforts in kindness will be carried on.

How about us TV'ers all chipping in, 10% of your beer fund would go to a great cause.

Although I had been corresponding with Noel for over a year, it was only recently that we met. We spent two most enjoyable afternoons together quaffing a few beers which, despite his condition, Noel stoically forced down. His first comment to me was, "Look, if I puke all over the floor, it's not because I don't like your company.", which is a perfect example of his self-effacing humour.

Seldom have I met anyone in whose company I immediately felt so at ease. Noel's brilliant intelligence and sharp wit were cornerstones of his conversation: tools which he used to good effect on this forum, although many a time misunderstood. As Noel himself was apt to comment:-

Yet another one slaps into the wicket-keeper's gloves.

Certainly, the irony would not have been lost upon Noel that his valedictory post on this forum was deleted and resulted in his being warned, but as he said in his subsequent PM to me:-

Not to worry, all good fun! :o

Noel was devoid of selfishness. Although he would discuss his cancer, it was always in matter of fact terms, never seeking sympathy for his plight. Indeed, as others have written, his overriding concern was for the welfare of others, latterly his girlfriend, Wan. A couple of weeks ago Noel had arranged to take my wife and I around the Camillian Centre. The day before we were due to go he telephoned with the most profuse apologies but that he would have to cancel as he had been summoned by Bumrungrad for further tests. Even at his medical nadir he never for once thought of himself, but, instead, thought he had let us down.

Although I only ever met Noel twice, I feel privileged to have called him a friend.

Vale!

Done.

Somehow I think Noel would feel honored and happy to know that his efforts in kindness will be carried on.

How about us TV'ers all chipping in, 10% of your beer fund would go to a great cause.

I was thinking along these lines and find it very special that others have already given us all a way to express our respect in kind as well as words.

Presenting a collection on his behalf via T.Visa will ensure his name lives on after such tragedy.

I know Mobi is already doing the street kids but, as he is a close friend of his unfortunate family, along with experience of getting donations in may we ask him to consider organising it to honour Noel.

Please post details on how to donate and where to send donations who ever takes charge of this honour.

It,s a difficult time for everyone who has had personal contact with him and may we all say a silent prayer / give thoughts for his soul and most important his beloved ones and kin.

One thought if it is not considered insensitive,

Are his immediate family in a sound position finacially or do we perhaps need to donate to them instead ?

Please forgive me if this is considered inappropiate as i am not familiar with this very personal subject, but wish to highlight the possibility

Thank you

marshbags :o:D:D

Edited by marshbags

I was thinking along these lines and find it very special that others have already given us all a way to express our respect in kind as well as words.

Presenting a collection on his behalf via T.Visa will ensure his name lives on after such tragedy.

I know Mobi is already doing the street kids but, as he is a close friend of his unfortunate family, along with experience of getting donations in may we ask him to consider organising it to honour Noel.

Please post details on how to donate and where to send donations who ever takes charge of this honour.

It,s a difficult time for everyone who has had personal contact with him and may we all say a silent prayer / give thoughts for his soul and most important his beloved ones and kin.

One thought if it is not considered insensitive,

Are his immediate family in a sound position finacially or do we perhaps need to donate to them instead ?

Please forgive me if this is considered inappropiate as i am not familiar with this very personal subject, but wish to highlight the possibility

Thank you

marshbags :o:D:D

MB,

I had thoughts of something similar, donations in memorium but was not sure how to say it or the semmantics required. Yours is an excellent suggestion and hope it materializes.

No, there is no need for forgiveness, showing concern for a loved ones family after their passing is a thoughtful gesture and often times removes a worry at a time when worries abound.

Although I had been corresponding with Noel for over a year, it was only recently that we met. We spent two most enjoyable afternoons together quaffing a few beers which, despite his condition, Noel stoically forced down. His first comment to me was, "Look, if I puke all over the floor, it's not because I don't like your company.", which is a perfect example of his self-effacing humour.

Seldom have I met anyone in whose company I immediately felt so at ease. Noel's brilliant intelligence and sharp wit were cornerstones of his conversation: tools which he used to good effect on this forum, although many a time misunderstood. As Noel himself was apt to comment:-

Yet another one slaps into the wicket-keeper's gloves.

Certainly, the irony would not have been lost upon Noel that his valedictory post on this forum was deleted and resulted in his being warned, but as he said in his subsequent PM to me:-

Not to worry, all good fun! :o

Noel was devoid of selfishness. Although he would discuss his cancer, it was always in matter of fact terms, never seeking sympathy for his plight. Indeed, as others have written, his overriding concern was for the welfare of others, latterly his girlfriend, Wan. A couple of weeks ago Noel had arranged to take my wife and I around the Camillian Centre. The day before we were due to go he telephoned with the most profuse apologies but that he would have to cancel as he had been summoned by Bumrungrad for further tests. Even at his medical nadir he never for once thought of himself, but, instead, thought he had let us down.

Although I only ever met Noel twice, I feel privileged to have called him a friend.

Vale!

I think it telling of Noel's bravery to have his sense of humor to the end...... yes, I was the one he was refering to in his little snippet about the wicket-keeper's gloves.

I will miss your witt and May God Bless You. The ant problem has been solved by the way!

I today opened my e-mails to find an e-mail from noel's friend informing me off his passing.

I am deeply saddened, although I only met him once he left a lasting impression, an impression I hoped would continue to a long lasting friendship.

All who knew him have talked about his selfless nature, something I witnessed first hand.

I feel the world is a little less bright today.

Condolences to Wan, who I fear will be going through a pretty desperate time right now and to all his friends.

You are in a better place, but still give 'em hel_l.

Moss