Noel Thomas - Farewell Old Friend.

Mobi

Mair,

You're Noel's sister, so , ultimately, are privileged to be related.

Your brother was such an intelligent man and I would just hope that an iota of this would rub off on the populace in general, but, sadly, they lack the insight and the ability.

May Noel live on!

Hi Scouser!

Sorry for the delay in replying, but I go back every now and then to read all the messages for Noel (or Dewi as I knew him) as I am still trying to take it all in and I don't think I will ever accept that he as gone. Anyway as you know in the UK we do a thing called "Race for Life" which earns money for cancer. I am going to do it this year for Dewi - but I will give whatever I make to the appeal. The only draw back is, is that when it is held I will be in Portugal - but I can do my 3 miles there and I am sure that my colleagues and friends will still support me. Could you please pass this info on to Father Giovanni and let me know where to send the money.

I thank you for your comments on my brother and yes I was privileged to be his sister as was he to be my brother!! (We were very close and he taught me all I know - which gets me into trouble as people don't want to hear the truth - do they?)

Kind Regards.

Mair

I feel privileged to have met Noel Thomas on a couple of occasions. Before that we had a few heated exchanges on his message board, the Bahtbus.com. It was hard to do battle with his sharp mind and often-sardonic wit. When I met him in person he turned out to be a scholar and a gentleman, nothing at all like his alter ego, Sweeney Todd, the demon barber.

Noel has to be commended for his tireless work for the HIV-infected kids at the Camillian Centre in Rayong, run by Father Contarin. I think Father Contarin’s efforts to get Noel interested in religion were in vain. Noel always professed to be an atheist, but at times sounded more like an agnostic. I hope there will be a place for him where he can be rewarded for some of the good work he did.

I also hope the Bahtbus.com, a message board created by Noel with the help of Donkeykong, Johnny Walker and a few others, with then aim to raise funds for the Camillian Centre, will continue to exist.

Sigi

I feel privileged to have met Noel Thomas on a couple of occasions. Before that we had a few heated exchanges on his message board, the Bahtbus.com. It was hard to do battle with his sharp mind and often-sardonic wit. When I met him in person he turned out to be a scholar and a gentleman, nothing at all like his alter ego, Sweeney Todd, the demon barber.

Noel has to be commended for his tireless work for the HIV-infected kids at the Camillian Centre in Rayong, run by Father Contarin. I think Father Contarin’s efforts to get Noel interested in religion were in vain. Noel always professed to be an atheist, but at times sounded more like an agnostic. I hope there will be a place for him where he can be rewarded for some of the good work he did.

I also hope the Bahtbus.com, a message board created by Noel with the help of Donkeykong, Johnny Walker and a few others, with then aim to raise funds for the Camillian Centre, will continue to exist.

Sigi

Hi Sigi,

I am Noel's sister Mair but he was Dewi to me.

Dewi was a Pussy Cat - a wam and caring person - but yes he fought for what he believed in and yes you were right - he did not believe in God and all that mallarkey. But, did he tell you that he used to sing in the choir TWICE on Sundays!!

We all stopped believing when "God" took our Dad from us in 2000.

I will be doing the Race for Life this year in memory of what Dewi believed in, so I hope you will all sponser me. I will be in Portugal at the time, but can still do my 3 miles over there.

Sorry for the delay in replying to your posting, but now I am able to come to terms with what has happened and to say thankyou to all for all your kind words.

Regards,

Mair

Hi Mair,

I'm afraid that I'm not the best person to ask about the Camillian Centre as I have never been to visit. Noel had arranged to take my wife and I on a visit, but had to cancel as he was summoned back to Bumrungrad for more tests. There are, however, other people who are associated with the centre and I shall bring your post to their attention.

I still frequently think of Noel, and how lucky I was to have met him, albeit briefly.

Scouse.

• 3 years later...

Can I ask if this is the Noel who use to frequent the bars in soy 7, Hope you do not mind me asking , I think I know this man, if it is I am in a state of shock , I would like some one to confirm it is or not , thanks in advance

Can I ask if this is the Noel who use to frequent the bars in soy 7, Hope you do not mind me asking , I think I know this man, if it is I am in a state of shock , I would like some one to confirm it is or not , thanks in advance

Noel was often foudn in the bars of soi6 !

He was the main driving force behind the now defunct bahtbus.com web forum which was setup for charity purposes. He often posted back then under he's alter ego "Sweeny Todd"

Thinking of Noel today cant believe it will be coming up to 4 years soon

Hi Grim,

I hardly ever ever lurk on this board and very seldom make a contribution. I normally only write on Pattayatalk and use the handle Gonzo. There is a thread at the moment about HIV. I only made a comment yesterday about the Camillian Social Center in Rayong, Father Giovanni Contarian and Noel Thomas supporting the orphanage by moderating the now defunct Bahtbus. I often wondered what happened to some of the members supporting the Bahtbus by making donations and the fundraisers we had, to collect money for the HIV-infected kids.

It's is good to hear that you are still around and well. I live in Jomtien/Pattaya with my GF of six years. I go back to Darwin for a couple of months each year, as I would never burn the bridges with Australia and still have a lot of frieds there.

We bought a small, but nice condo on Jomtien Beach Road and life is good, despite Pattaya having changed a fair bit over the last few years and getting a bit of a hiding with my investments. I am not whingeing about it, as a lot of people copped it a lot worse than I did. Pattaya is still a great place to live, but not as easy-going as say 10 years ago. Nothing in life stays the same forever. It was enjoyable to post on the Bahtbus with all the silly banter and at times serious discussions about more important things in life. Noel Thomas was great poster and I agree it is hard to believe that he left us almost 4 years ago.

Cheers, Siegi

Edited by Northpoint

15.jpg

From the reborn BahtBus.net website. (Noel in a tee-shirt again on the right.)

The fourth anniversary of Noel's death is in fact the 18th of November (18:10 Thai time.), but yes time does pass quickly.

Hands up who still have his number on your phone :crying:

Edited by Cuban

15.jpg

The fourth anniversary of Noel's death is in fact the 18th of November (18:10 Thai time.), but yes time does pass quickly.

Hi Cuban,

It wasnt so much motivated by the anniversary more a case of thinking about the banter from around 2003! I enjoyed having my grammar corrected and the general community of the time!

15.jpg

How's his g/f holding up? I've no doubt she's still devastated.. (or then again - does she still remember who he was?)

Edited by F1fanatic

F1fanatic, his girlfriend is holding up fine. Despite getting a enormously large (larger than the Thai lottery) payout from Noel's ex employer Rank Xerox (I was one of the executors of his estate) she stills to this day continues her job as a secretary and has never found a new significant other.

My wife and I met up with her just last Saturday as Noel's Mum and older brother are currently here on holiday. Noel's Mum at the age of 84 still comes to Thailand each year on holiday and is as sharp as a tack. It is easy to see where Noel got his abundant wit, humour and wisdom from. :-)

How's his g/f holding up? I've no doubt she's still devastated.. (or then again - does she still remember who he was?)

To second Chopper's comment, I have no doubt that Noel is in her heart to this day, however it would be a great pity if she did not move on with her life. She is a sweet bright lady that does have connections to meet 'nice farangs' above and beyond those that might otherwise approach her, she has the choice now - but I'm sure if she could swap her inheritance for Noel's return she wouldn't hesitate.

Edited by Cuban

• 2 weeks later...

That is great news, has anyone got any other photo's of Noel ?

To second Chopper's comment, I have no doubt that Noel is in her heart to this day, however it would be a great pity if she did not move on with her life. She is a sweet bright lady that does have connections to meet 'nice farangs' above and beyond those that might otherwise approach her, she has the choice now - but I'm sure if she could swap her inheritance for Noel's return she wouldn't hesitate.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 years later...

My comment comes 13 years after Noel's passing, which may seem strange, but I had to express my deep sadness at learning of his death. I worked with Noel at Xerox starting 39 years ago. I was a fresh faced 20-year-old trainee accountant, and Noel was my first manager. He took me under his wing and gave me the nickname " Little M." After a few months in his unit, I was moved on to the next which I found utterly boring. When Noel learned I was contemplating leaving the company and changing my field to marketing,  he invited me to become his junior accountant in the new leasing division that he was heading up with the prospect of eventually shifting into sales and marketing. 

Noel was, however, more than a manager. With his cheeky grin, his kindness and wonderful sense of humour he endeared himself and became a wonderful friend. Friday lunchtimes at the pub bonded our teams together, and I still have pictures of fun times we and our colleagues had together at company and outside of company parties. 

We lost touch when I left the UK in 1983 to live in Jamaica  and I've often wondered what happened to him and tried to find news of him online. So sad to finally do so today and to learn of his death. I'm not surprised by the account I read here of his humour and fighting spirit in the face of his illness, and of his compassionate, humanitarian work on behalf of those battling HIV. I will always remember him with fondness and be grateful for the kindness and friendship he gave me all those years ago. May his spirit continue to inspire us all.  

1579310239617-032a3ca7-6273-418a-a345-542c96e81eb9_.jpg

Edited by Little M
Typo
  • Thanks 1

How could I forget to mention Noel's intelligence and wit. He got me into doing the cryptic crossword puzzle in the Daily  Telegraph that resulted in me buying that paper every day though I remained a staunch Guardian girl myself. Great debates and discussions he led us in especially during those Friday lunchtime pub jaunts. 

Edited by Little M
  • Thanks 1