Neighbour arrested for brutal murder of Swedish man in Cha Am

rooster59

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's amazing how little control Thai males seem to have over verbal insults..... absolutely pathetic.

I hope some of the anger which must have been generated in the expat community finds its way back to the perpetrator - then they could also argue 'we were just angry krub.'

I would love to have the suspect tested for his competence in understanding of the

Swedish and English languages. Get native speakers of these languages to throw some insults at him and see what he thinks was said. Probability is he doesn't understand either of the languages.

Could be the ex-wife got him going by telling some porkies.

Perhaps the message is slowly sinking into the mind of foreigners, that Thais only tolerate you to a certain point, and then bang ! Foreigners must bear in mind the consequences of living in a country where the mindset towards non-Thais is in many cases, extremely xenophobic.

I think there is more to this than meets the eye,especially the x wife,only my thoughts,my guess he had a good relationship with the neighbours until she set up in competition with him,and as we all know it does not take long to get sympathisers on your side,especially if you are female and divorced.Lets see what the end story will bring,most people will not stay on a sinking ship alone if at all possible,especially loss of face thais.

They call Thailand the land of smiles, few however, realized that there's this raging anger and disregards

Way more of that on TV than you will ever encounter on the street

But less chance of one of us killing you as a result.

Internet anger is fairly harmless, if you ignore the possibility of heart attack or stroke.

...considering that there were others with so much more to gain from this murder.....

...this is questionable.....

...whether he pulled the trigger or not....the 'why' is a big question.....

...someone who was well-respected in the community by both Thais and Foreigners.....would not go around insulting people one would think....

I have not been here too long but this case appears to have 3 of theBig 4 of most Thai headline murders:

1) Loss of Face

2) Yaba

3) Guns

Only one missing was:

4) Infidelity.

Not been here for long, but obviously, you learn quickly clap2.gif

This is a case were Shar'ia law would be useful. His wife would have the option to shoot him like he shot her husband without consequences

She would already be raped and murdered for leaving him and would not have been allowed to start a business.

They call Thailand the land of smiles, few however, realized that there's this raging anger and disregards

to any outcome behind those " smiles " we have seen it happening time and time again where Thais

loses their cool and unleash hell on anyone who perceived to slight and hurt their honor.....

He might have just smiled instead of bowing to him when passing each other.

A Thai ice-head off his nut on ego. Doesn't take much. sad.png

ohh it doesn't take much,

here where I live both sides hate me for stupid reasons..

the first one was a man that talked to me every single day for 2 years, friendly but not very smart. he told me stories about his dad that he had not talked to for years and I found his dad for him in minutes

one time I was getting the internet installed and due to language barrier and my strict instructions, I brought my a female Thai friend here to tell them what i wanted

at that time I was seeing someone else and when that guy saw my friend that morning he muttered "butterfly!" and never spoke to me (nicely) again.

one morning, my dog peed in the middle of the street in front of our house (not his) and as i was walking towards the beach buddy was shouting nonsense at me in English, getting all red and worked out.. I didn't have time to try to stop to figure out what he was trying to say because then my dog would just stop right there and poop by him.

on my way back, he was washing the pavement in front of his house and shouting insults in Thai, so I took a picture from my balcony as proof since my dog had peed 2 or 3 meters to the left of where he washed the front of his house

important to note that it had only happened one single time over the 900-1000 times that I brought my dog out in the 14 months I lived here but he has told the landlord lady that I "let my dog do that very often in front of his house and it smells bad"

other time coming back with my dog he somehow decided to poop a 2nd time right in front of that guys house, and of course he was right outside.. I didn't have a 3rd doggy bag so had to go fetch one but i wasn't about to try to explain it to mr self-control. swearing in Thai and red faced, I came back after 10 seconds, picked up the dry poop, and on my way back inside he threw a full 1 liter bottle of water towards my head, luckily I am fast enough to duck it even if thrown from less than 2 meters away but..

obviously here I am supposed to take attacks and not react because it would never end up nice but I kept thinking "you MF if it was my country your face would get flattened in so quick!".

this is same man that puts his Buddhist monk mumbling/prayers loop recordings loud AF on his stereo every morning at 5am for an hour or so

on the other side, the other neighbor is some 80+ man who does nothing but sit on his porch or at the beach all day (depends where the shade is)..

buddy does not like me, get this. when I wash the sand off my dog after the beach, the water from it goes down this little drain line and he gets "some" sand on the front of his house.

we both live give or take 30-35 meters from the beach and when there is wind the sand just comes along up the alley, slapping up your legs. and also under the little porch on HIS side there is a sewer drain that smells god awful if you are unlucky enough to sit anywhere close.. yet he complains about the sand constantly

he literally has nothing else to do but sit there and complain about everything and likes to bring the other genius in so they can hate on me together

I have done absolutely nothing warranting this kind of hostility towards me, but in their eyes, you would think I am the devil.

give the first one a gun and if my dog would poop by accident near his house again, I would be shot already.

Perhaps the message is slowly sinking into the mind of foreigners, that Thais only tolerate you to a certain point, and then bang ! Foreigners must bear in mind the consequences of living in a country where the mindset towards non-Thais is in many cases, extremely xenophobic.

I regret to say that I agree with you 100%, useronethenet, and if expats here would, for a few minutes, drop their stereotyped views, post colonial attitude, and get off their high horses, they might see that this xenophobia is a serious and complicated phenomenon :

- some of it complies with a global tendency to blame foreigners for every problem a country has to face. Socially and economically, the changes are so incredibly fast that most humans just can't cope and the urge to close the doors on all 'non locals' becomes prevalent. Racism, parochialism and insularism are the big winners, everywhere.

- some of it is definitely local, a dangerous mixture of envy, inferiority complex and superiority complex.

- some of it is fueled by the attitude of many expats here, who never miss an occasion to show the Thais how much they despise them, happily generalize a few cases to a whole population and tend to consider all Thais like a bunch of lazy-up-to-no-good hypocrites, opportunists and liars.

- some of it is based on historical facts : the West did conquer much of the world, and did make much of its present wealth by looting and pillaging the conquered territories , hypocritically dressing it up as a plan to spread 'civilization' and christianity. The claim that Thailand was never colonized is preposterous and was coined strictly for history books in schools. Sure, it wasn't colonized in the same way as India, Burma, Indonesia, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia etc. but it was colonized nonetheless, albeit in a more subtle fashion.

- some of it stems from the fact that no matter how much the West claims to have 'decolonized' the world, the reality is that political colonization gave way to economical, cultural and financial colonization, which are just as brutal and destructive of local equilibrium. This form of colonization is cunning because it feeds on passive support from the colonized, who seem to happily consume our products and endorse all the artificially created needs on which Western economy is mostly based. The fact that Thais are just as fond as we are of mobiles phones, cars, and brand names doesn't mean they don't perceive (and resent) the deep alienation caused by consumerism.

"Never get into an argument. with a Thai, male of female and never make them lose face by pointing out their mistake(s)"

That is something about respect and customs here in Thailand!!!

Many foreigner look them from high and behave disparaging to them as far as I can notice as farang as well!We think that is not enough to kill someone or hurt badly,but when they lose temper that can easy happened.

You can not buy all in Thailand with money.Losing face ,mostly you can not fix and many will pay with life or serious injuries !

Congratulations for the efficiency for police!!!

I think there is more to this than meets the eye,especially the x wife,only my thoughts,my guess he had a good relationship with the neighbours until she set up in competition with him,and as we all know it does not take long to get sympathisers on your side,especially if you are female and divorced.Lets see what the end story will bring,most people will not stay on a sinking ship alone if at all possible,especially loss of face thais.

Go back to bed paddy and have a more realistic dream.

its the old Thai rage thing again, they just never think of their own censequences, (still i expect he will say "sorry") and be out of jail in no time. we see this every day though don't we, and he tested positive for drug abuse

I believe rage such as this with any society that you care to 'label' never thinks of their own consequences.

Apparently he was found to be tested having a chemical (drug) in his system. I didn't read anything in the initial story that said abuse.

wonder why they blurred out his face?

Could be for a few different reasons. The first one that comes to my mind is, potential backlash from foreigner community. When he gets out of jail he doesn't want his face shown to those most abpt to cause him problems.

What is it about these people that they can't handle an insult? It's words for %$ sake. In more sane countries and cultures, we realize that people get worked up and blurt things out or flip the bird. Then we reciprocate appropriately -- and that's not by getting a shotgun and blowing the person away, with the exception of some nut cases who do that. It seems the incidents of violence in Thailand have risen greatly over the past few years. Does that possibly indicate there are some very serious potholes in the road to happiness?

Hate to say it but get with the times. You're talking history and what you believe it to be. Don't mess with anyone because if you do, you better be prepared. It's not hop-scotch and paddy-cake like it was at one time. The world continues to show how crazy people have become.

Most Thai people I have encountered will still smile and interact with you in a normal, mostly friendly way. There are a few times in which I have been viewed by Thais as simply an irritant to be avoided. On one occasion, a bank manager speaking with my wife referred to all "farang" as non human using the Thai term for "it". Probably the most racist and rudest person I have ever encountered. I wanted to tell her exactly how I felt but did not as we needed her approval on a bank matter. The things I live by in Thailand are as follows:

-Never, ever make a Thai lose face no matter how right you are. The consequences are just too extreme to endure

- Never complain to a Thai person or mention how much better another country is to Thailand- they will resent you immediately.

- If a Thai person is speaking to you in a manner you do not like- simply smile and then leave immediately- you take your business elsewhere.

-If you enter a Thai restaurant and there are tables of Thai men drinking and commenting about you- leave and do not make eye contact. There are plenty of other places you can go to.

-Do not discuss the government, politics, or religion with a Thai unless you have known that person for a long time. Usually, I would wait till they bring it up.

-Smile at everything- good, bad or ugly.

-Never show your anger or irritation- because even if you do- it will never improve the atmosphere or get you what you want.

Living in Thailand can be difficult but it is their culture and you either accept it and adapt or feel miserable- because you are never going to change it.

Most Thai people I have encountered will still smile and interact with you in a normal, mostly friendly way. There are a few times in which I have been viewed by Thais as simply an irritant to be avoided. On one occasion, a bank manager speaking with my wife referred to all "farang" as non human using the Thai term for "it". Probably the most racist and rudest person I have ever encountered. I wanted to tell her exactly how I felt but did not as we needed her approval on a bank matter. The things I live by in Thailand are as follows:

-Never, ever make a Thai lose face no matter how right you are. The consequences are just too extreme to endure

- Never complain to a Thai person or mention how much better another country is to Thailand- they will resent you immediately.

- If a Thai person is speaking to you in a manner you do not like- simply smile and then leave immediately- you take your business elsewhere.

-If you enter a Thai restaurant and there are tables of Thai men drinking and commenting about you- leave and do not make eye contact. There are plenty of other places you can go to.

-Do not discuss the government, politics, or religion with a Thai unless you have known that person for a long time. Usually, I would wait till they bring it up.

-Smile at everything- good, bad or ugly.

-Never show your anger or irritation- because even if you do- it will never improve the atmosphere or get you what you want.

Living in Thailand can be difficult but it is their culture and you either accept it and adapt or feel miserable- because you are never going to change it.

Good life saving tips. I will remember your advise but must admit it will take extreme control.

What is it about these people that they can't handle an insult? It's words for %$ sake. In more sane countries and cultures, we realize that people get worked up and blurt things out or flip the bird. Then we reciprocate appropriately -- and that's not by getting a shotgun and blowing the person away, with the exception of some nut cases who do that. It seems the incidents of violence in Thailand have risen greatly over the past few years. Does that possibly indicate there are some very serious potholes in the road to happiness?

"Serious potholes"......yawning chasms would be the most reasonable conjecture? Isn't it wonderful to be able to sit on the sidelines and watch the circus come to town, knowing full well that all it takes is an airline ticket to leave it all behind? thumbsup.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifwai.gif

Archived