Foreign college exchange students fined for filmed drunken public lewd behaviour on Phi Phi

webfact

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I first heard and saw what they did- I was irritated to the max because it reinforces the fact that Thai people look down on all foreigners initially as they believe we are immoral and uncouth. I still think the 2 young people were wrong and lacking in the ability to control their drink and emotions. However, I will give them credit for taking responsibility for their actions and turning themselves in and apologizing. I do not believe they should be deported or blacklisted. The fine and humiliation is enough. Everyone makes mistakes in life.

The Thai man- while rightly indignant uses language he must have learned being around foreigners. Thai people do not use the English F word as part of their normal dealings. They have a similar Thai word they would use when angry. He was most aggressive but I believe he learned his aggression in his dealings with the foreign community. He is suffering from Farang fatigue- something that many of us suffer from and thus avoid the tourist areas.

I hope the 2 young foreigners learned a lesson from all this. Had this happened in their own countries they may not have gotten off with such a small fine. However, Thais will continue to think that most foreigners are a bunch of drunken/drugged immoral degenerates.

Hypocrisy!

Where's the hypocrisy?

Perform a lewd sex act in public in most countries and get arrested, fined and in some countries a whole lot worse.

Go to Netherlands or Germany where prostitution is legal and try acting like this in public, even in the red light areas and see what happens. Or go and do it on a beach in Dubai.

Do it in some parts of Asia and you risk a lot more than 2k ThB.

I am utterly disgusted by this shockingly depraved act, not only at the scene of the crime, but also at the police station.

An absolutely appalling attempt at a wai, they should be hung, drawn and quartered.

As for the BJ, unless he has an STD, fairly harmless I would think wai.gif

There was a time when Thai men will say, You, you, now there's an added bonus with the <deleted> you man over and over

again, to me, the vulgarity of the Thai guy is much worse than what those kid did, which is still wrong.....

they could have shooed away nicely, not need for more obscenities and profanities.....

Not sure where you have been or what you have heard, but I hear the "F" word coming out the mouths of farangs all the time--mostly Brits and Aussies, even the women.

You seem to be out of touch; the supposed affront was to Thai morals, speaking an English profanity does not compare.

Really. Then you must miss out on the profane Irish who can't say more than 3 words without adding Fcku; or the Americans who seem to think it fashionable; or the Germans and Swiss who seem to think its and emphatic adjective or expression and use with gay abandon.

40 years ago profanity was frowned on in the UK and seen as a mark of low class. Sadly, like many other things standards have slipped.

But, you always did hear more in cheap low class bars.

But even so, do a blow job in public in any of the countries I've mentioned and you'll be promptly arrested.

This is unbelievable !! 2000baht fine, is a joke.

Public indecency to say the least, as i posted before they should be jailed.

Jailed then deported banned from returning.

Just another case of crazy Thai justice.

if thais can run down innocent civilians and innocent (?) policemen without going to jail then it would be unfair to send these two to jail. after all no one got kill, or even hurt. problem was the act got caught on camera, tarnishing thailands squeaky clean image. both perpetrators have waied and paid a fine the equivalent of several hard days work. we all enjoyed reading about it (or getting upset about it as some of us do) no further harm done as there are no real victims. now excited to wonder what will be next.

Deported ????? Whats the matter with you moralists ?????

OK, the kids are wrong & it was silly doing it in public ( & even more silly for someone to film it), but they realize the error of their ways,

They did not rob a bank,,,, get over it

Let's say they did this in America. Here is what I would want:

1. Full names and full shame

2. more shame

3. still more shame

4. small fine and apology

5. One year later, more shame!!!!

but that's it....just a lifetime of embarrassment for getting caught.

Ummm....if this happened in the US wouldn't it be seen as lewd public behaviour and they both be classified as sex offenders for the rest of their lives?

Having said that, the humiliation of the video being shared publicly is fairly stiff punishment....pardon the pun.

A couple of college kids exercised a moment of indiscretion...hardly the first time in history.

Lesson learned.

Hardly worth all the attention it has received.

I wouldn't be surprised if that one Thai local who was so aggressive does not one day appear in a similar photo seated in front of numerous Police...he most definitely displayed a high level of hostility. Maybe a future tuk-tuk driver?

It looks as though they were given the absolute minimum with respect to the offense (2,000 baht)... but they should still have been deported and banned from re-entering Thailand since it was still a criminal offense I believe.

Who committed the Criminal offense? The kids or the person(s) that took the video and posted it - Think if a tree fell but nobody heard it - is there sound or enough noise for an inter-provincial investigation to be launched?" (You should think about why nobody pointed finger in her face at the photo op).

Ummm....if this happened in the US wouldn't it be seen as lewd public behaviour and they both be classified as sex offenders for the rest of their lives?

Having said that, the humiliation of the video being shared publicly is fairly stiff punishment....pardon the pun.

Allthough, technically they could be labeled as sex offenders in some states, it is not a mandatory sentence and the sentencing judge would have much leeway in what the penalty would be. A judge is quite familiar with the permanent damage that comes with a sex Offender conviction and do not hand them out lightly or with indifference.

People are caught in all sorts of compromising situations in the US every day and criteria such as "consensual" and "age" and specific circumstances are considered.

A couple of college kids exercised a moment of indiscretion...hardly the first time in history.

Lesson learned.

I wouldn't be surprised if that one Thai local who was so aggressive does not one day appear in a similar photo seated in front of numerous Police...he most definitely displayed a high level of hostility. Maybe a future tuk-tuk driver?

It looks as though they were given the absolute minimum with respect to the offense (2,000 baht)... but they should still have been deported and banned from re-entering Thailand since it was still a criminal offense I believe.

Who committed the Criminal offense? The kids or the person(s) that took the video and posted it - Think if a tree fell but nobody heard it - is there sound or enough noise for an inter-provincial investigation to be launched?" (You should think about why nobody pointed finger in her face at the photo op).

The kids did.... Criminal Code Section 282 - Indecency. If the section covers bearing a woman's breasts then it definitely covers a BJ and hanging your ... in public. The low end (i.e. adults) is 1 to 10 years and 2,000 to 20,000 baht fine.

The posting of the video online... they boxed out the region showing the explicit act so I don't think the poster of the video has broken any laws.

Total idiots.They think there in benidorm.These kind of people make me so angry.You wonder why farangs receive no respect anymore.If she is raped walking around like that .She will be to blame.Why before they come ,They not try to learn what you should not do in thailand.I hope that they are given jail time,and it put on western news.Maybe then,they might come and respect thai culture.

Definitely some interesting takes on this subject.

Most worthy of highlighting is the fact that when the pair (from Chiang Mai?) became aware that they were wanted by police, they immediately returned to face the police.

Well done to the foreigners.... They screwed up a wee bit, at a Thai tourist destination, at a full moon party, while drunk as skunks.... But.... It's these types of foreigners that make me proud to be a part of an establishment that stands up for its actions, admits wrong doing, and takes its licks without complaining.

However, I do fear for any individual who could suggest that because a woman is drunk, or semi clad, then it's ok to rape her... Or worse, her own fault. Hell... No means no.... Wether the girl was clad in a bikini or naked..., no means no!.... So Thomas Hannah, remember Hannah witheridge and family... Before suggesting a woman can be raped for looking like a woman, or that jail time is justice here in Thailand, were there are fewer and fewer objects worthy of respect, as time goes by

The punishment has now been set by the authorities, so they have made there statement about the severity of the case, without the need for brandings, whippings or extradition.

And as to learning Thai culture before coming... An excellent point.... When I first came, I read a couple of handy travel books... But now people just jump on the Internet to find out about somewhere... And what do they usually find?

Social media forums... Discussing FMP's, and sex on the beach... There's your research. (Admittedly limited, but most folk only want to see what most folk want to see)

Total idiots.They think there in benidorm.These kind of people make me so angry.You wonder why farangs receive no respect anymore.If she is raped walking around like that .She will be to blame.Why before they come ,They not try to learn what you should not do in thailand.I hope that they are given jail time,and it put on western news.Maybe then,they might come and respect thai culture.

Definitely some interesting takes on this subject.

Most worthy of highlighting is the fact that when the pair (from Chiang Mai?) became aware that they were wanted by police, they immediately returned to face the police.

Well done to the foreigners.... They screwed up a wee bit, at a Thai tourist destination, at a full moon party, while drunk as skunks.... But.... It's these types of foreigners that make me proud to be a part of an establishment that stands up for its actions, admits wrong doing, and takes its licks without complaining.

However, I do fear for any individual who could suggest that because a woman is drunk, or semi clad, then it's ok to rape her... Or worse, her own fault. Hell... No means no.... Wether the girl was clad in a bikini or naked..., no means no!.... So Thomas Hannah, remember Hannah witheridge and family... Before suggesting a woman can be raped for looking like a woman, or that jail time is justice here in Thailand, were there are fewer and fewer objects worthy of respect, as time goes by

The punishment has now been set by the authorities, so they have made there statement about the severity of the case, without the need for brandings, whippings or extradition.

And as to learning Thai culture before coming... An excellent point.... When I first came, I read a couple of handy travel books... But now people just jump on the Internet to find out about somewhere... And what do they usually find?

Social media forums... Discussing FMP's, and sex on the beach... There's your research. (Admittedly limited, but most folk only want to see what most folk want to see)

My guess (without evidence) that there is probably more to the story. I would guess that behind the scenes they had a lawyer who negotiated everything before they turned themselves in. I know if I were in that situation I would have contacted my father and he would have told me to face the music -- but he would have made sure I had legal representation...

What were the Thai students charged with and fined for their very public lewd behaviour?

I'd have thought sh*gging on the teachers desk fall into the same category!

oh, wait they were Thai and can do no wrong!

should we feel sorry for PC Plod who actually had to do some work in finding some girl who blew some dude off ..and her partner? Personally, I notice a lack of action against those that distributed the video, they were breaking the computer crimes act of Thailand.....

--------------

Thailand should grow up, if you're going to have trash tourism, of which that is all that exists in Thailand, expect trashy behaviour! The country may be beautiful but the tourism that comes here trash! sex tourists, cheapskate backpackers, Chinese who mistake the moat in Chiang Mai as a public toilet and stinky hippies!

Ooh, listen to the offended Victorian prude. Poor little snookums. Get over it, Grandad.

Lesson learned.

you are joking, right ?

Easy Colin read laugh continue coffee and take advantage of the day. They are exhibitionists especially when inebriated nobody died it was just plain young fun. Think back to when you where that age. It was also a complete waste of BIB limited resources and time. Better spent chasing real criminals.

There was a time when Thai men will say, You, you, now there's an added bonus with the <deleted> you man over and over

again, to me, the vulgarity of the Thai guy is much worse than what those kid did, which is still wrong.....

they could have shooed away nicely, not need for more obscenities and profanities.....

Exactly. Somchai should have been told to mind his own business and shown the door.

He started out trying to shoo them away but the reaction from the man being serviced was to swear at him and challenge him back -- and to back down completely would have been a lose of face... The person that first uttered obscenities was the foreigner -- so responding back in kind is warranted.

Have any of the readers here ever been lucky enough to be in that position?? He just fought to the finish or till he finished. There are more serious problems in the world today than the odd BJ. Nobody was hurt.

How not a deal with such a situation.

Me, I'd just calmly ask them to take it to a room, and to considers others. See what happens. But stay calm, especially when people are drunk. Deal with it by humor, not aggression. If they don't move, then set up a temporary tent around them, tell them they have 10 minutes before the police are called...let them finish, move on. Much easier for all concerned.

Archived