Most overrated things in Thailand

Bum gun - I hear all the praise from "farang" guys about the joys of bum gun, but I just don't get it. I wonder if their mom taught them how to wipe it properly. Toilet paper please, and for the rest of the crap (no pun intended) I will get into the shower and use soap.

Thai food - awful. The way Thais do it in Canada is much better, with a lot more flavor and zest. If someone can recommend me a good Thai restaurant in Bangkok I am all ears. Hint. YamSap is not a good Thai restaurant.

Owning a house - what's the point? Unless you are extremely rich and can get your own guys from Germany to build you a house, you will be living in a 3rd world shack full of bugs, lizards and rats. I live in my Wife's house and it's bad. I have seen 30 million baht houses and they are bad. Granted, I am only aware of builds here in Bangkok and completely unaware of other provinces, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

Over to you.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Thai food - awful. The way Thais do it in Canada is much better, with a lot more flavor and zest".

biggrin.png

Not really a wind-up thread is it?

A bit like our saying in the UK, "You can't beat a good British Indian curry".............................wink.png

Bum gun is amazing and will perform better than the western wipe. I am actually just in the pre-process of using mine whilst reading your ridiculous post.

Bangkok for me is well over rated unless you love drinking and the false hood your some kind of Babe magnet of course. Some things I like about bangkok but overall it just seems like a place to cure your boredom by spending money needlessly.

Back to the bum gun cos it's a winner. A nice refreshing blast on your ass to wash away sweat and remnants just cannot be beaten IMO.

Thai food awful, laughable comment but a fish and chip shop would be a great thing to have in thai cities for a western fix every now and then.

Bum guns are great. It's one thing the French then Japanese got right. The Japanese improved the French design, the Thais did it more crudely and cheaply (like they do lots of stuff) but it's better than smearing feces around one's anatomy which is definitely disgusting (unless your diet is perfect and full of fiber).

IMO Most overrated things here are

Average local's pride (false pride). What are they so proud of, really? Existing?

The landscape which is meant to be a tropical oasis but which is not very nice or well kept in virtually every destination I've visited over the years living here.

Like the average locals, Thailand also attracts foreigners who seem to be, on average, overrated/problematic/dangerous. Hard as hell finding a reasonable foreigner to even talk to who's not chasing diseased whores or evading legal consequences somewhere or similar.

Thainess. No offense but I have yet for anyone to define for me in any reasonably intelligent terms what it actually is. What they are so proud of, nobody can explain. It's odd.

Bum gun - It's not overrated. It works just as well, if not better. Your personal preference for using toilet paper becomes a gauge for measuring what's good and isn't?

Thai food - Why should we recommend good Thai restaurants to you? For all the years you've supposedly been in Thailand if you *still* don't know where the good food is, I guess you just don't like authentic Thai flavour. Seeing as how you're suggesting a shop in Canada, that says it all.

Owning a house - Who ever highly rated house construction here to the point that it's "overrated"? Do you know the meaning of the word? Pretty sure people don't prefer living here for the architecture.

thaivisa.

as regards the op, if he is content with shit-smeared keks, power to him.

Why in your opinion is TVF over rated...?

information provided here is increasingly less useful and it has become a haven for bigots, misogynists and disenfranchised retirees who would be miserable wherever they chose to hang their hat.

thaivisa.

information provided here is increasingly less useful and it has become a haven for bigots, misogynists and disenfranchised retirees who would be miserable wherever they chose to hang their hat.

Have you ever met me...?

you asked me a question, i answered it.

why would i want to meet you?

thaivisa.

Have you ever met me...?
Would be kinda hard to meet someone with over 40000 posts unless they were invited to your home, because it would appear you don't get out much.

V12 rules.

Jokingly

The nightlife i.e. over priced drinks and overpriced women, never used a bum gun even though we have 2 so could not say about that.

Never use a bum gun. Damn you must have the smelliest ass in thailand you and OP are a match made in a very smelly heaven:')

The nightlife i.e. over priced drinks and overpriced women, never used a bum gun even though we have 2 so could not say about that.

Never use a bum gun. Damn you must have the smelliest ass in thailand you and OP are a match made in a very smelly heaven:')

Funny how Farang has a religious awakening once he comes to Thailand. Never used a dirty bumgun before, but trying to fit in. So smelly a$$ for the past 50 years, but now bumgun make it ok?

Hilarious.

Funny how Farang has a religious awakening once he comes to Thailand. Never used a dirty bumgun before, but trying to fit in. So smelly <deleted> for the past 50 years, but now bumgun make it ok?

Hilarious.

Better late than never stink from another forum

Funny how Farang has a religious awakening once he comes to Thailand. Never used a dirty bumgun before, but trying to fit in. So smelly <deleted> for the past 50 years, but now bumgun make it ok?

Hilarious.

Better late than never stink from another forum

I must have hit a nerve

"Thai food - awful. The way Thais do it in Canada is much better, with a lot more flavor and zest".

Not really a wind-up thread is it?

A bit like our saying in the UK, "You can't beat a good British Indian curry".............................

I've been to India many times and I like the food there, but the best Indian food I ever had was at a restaurant in Hanoi with a British chef of Indian decent. I've never been to the UK, but I'm betting that his food was similar to what you would get there in a good Indian restaurant.

I don't think bum guns are overrated. I really miss them now that I am living in America. Toilet paper is not nearly as sanitary and I end up showering a few times a day just to make sure that area stays really clean.

You can also add the weather...

Now THAT I agree with. The weather is Southern California is pretty much perfect. Even when it is really hot, there is always a cool breeze. Of course I live near the beach, so that probably helps.

Archived