English Schools what's best for 8 yr old?

thai3

In our local Mall there is inlingua and ecc, tutor house and the tutor, all offering English classes for Thai kids. Anyone used these or worked at one? I want to get somewhere that actually teaches conversation rather than filling in grammar questions from a book.

...better off getting someone to teach your child one-on-one....

...once they up their English, their learning will accelerate in any environment....

...and watch English TV and Programs and Movies....

....read subjects of interest...in English.......

...meet people that speak English.....

Thai3 Where do you live.

Most schools have a set book system that they use to teach English. They also have a higher price.

I have found as a private teacher that what you are looking for is hard to find in a formal school.

I would suggest the Sotiros is probably fairly correct.

If you are looking at these schools then demand to sit in on classes that are being taught at your child's age to see what they are doing and if it meets your requirements.

If you are near Ranmgsit PM ME

Just speak English to the child and aim for understanding. At 8 years of age the kid is still young enough to absorb any language with a natural child-like mystical ease. Tutoring at that age will have minimal impact, immersion will work better. Raising a child as a fully functioning bilingual requires commitment and investment. At some point, the sooner the better, the child will need to spend time in an English language environment. My kids went to school in the US but we took them back to Thailand almost every year even though it was a financial burden, a negative financial impact of which I am still dealing with 20 years later, but worth the investment. Both kids, now adults, are fully functioning bilinguals, with the son able to speak both Central Thai as well as Northern Thai.

And yes, English TV shows and kids movies are great tools to help absorb English. Again, you need to appreciate understanding as success and do not get frustrated out of lack of production (speech). That might/will come later.

Thai3, if you speak English to your child, play games in English, read stories and books in English, their English will improve dramatically.

Take them to one of the great bookshops in one of the Malls and let them choose their own English book. There are hundreds of books by English authors and there are many different series of books to choose from. Once a child likes a particular series, you can buy them another book in the series every week etc. Their reading, vocabulary and understanding will improve dramatically.

Another good idea is to download TV programmes from "CBeebies" or "CBBC" via the BBC iPlayer. Again the choice is amazing, science and nature, history, "Blue Peter", everything to suit any age of child, certainly an 8 year old.

Learning English from a native English speaker also helps the child pronounce English the correct way.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived