Where/How to find teaching english job without TEFL/TESOL

You use textbooks and workbooks to teach from. I wasn't an Education major (in fact I went to an Ivy league school which doesn't even offer education/teaching) as a major.

I was a volunteer english teacher for only two months without a formal teaching background and received a lot of positive feedback from the directors/teachers of the schools I went to.

Teaching especially at the primary school level is about having patience and presenting material in a way that is engaging (implementing games and activities into the lesson plan). For example having students draw out a picture of their family when teaching them the words brother, sister, mother, father.

Carry on teaching and pay no attention to the naysayers here. This forum has a negative vibe to it that one is best to ignore (even though we all seem to get sucked into contributing to it sometimes -- unfortunately).

You're exactly right about the importance of keeping the lessons engaging and entertaining, especially for low-level learners, regardless of their age here in Thailand. That doesn't mean teachers here should be entertainers, but keeping it entertaining in a Thai classroom will usually have more effect than possessing a Master's in Education and knowing the most pedantic of details about the mechanics of the English language. Of course, at advanced levels, the lessons are more serious, but it's still important to supplement the core students' books and workbooks with interesting activities and discussions. You've had enough classroom time to know if it suits your personality, and that seems to be the case, so get out there and teach your heart out.

Saying that, doing a course can't hurt and will open more doors for you. If money's a concern, there were some "earn as you learn" setups here years ago and may still be around, but I know nothing about what they were like then or even their existence these days -- used to see the ads in the Bangkok Post.

While not required by some schools, if you're serious about a TEFL career, doing a TEFL course would be advisable. For TEFL jobs outside Thailand a CELTA or Trinity TESOL are the most recognised TEFL qualifications. The CELTA can be done in Thailand.

A months course and you can be part of developing a childs education.

This is nothing short of criminal.

I have to relate a story to you sir.

At my wife's mother's house in Issan, their neighbor is a recently retired English teacher (Thai lady of course) after 40 years of teaching English in Thai schools.

One night we had a big wind and rain storm, while I was there.

Next morning I asked her if the wind kept her awake last night.

She said: "What?"

I then said: "Did rain come in your house last night" (as it did ours)

Me: "How are you?"

Her: "Fine thank you"

Turns out she only knew about 7 or 8 phrases and couldn't understand anything besides these phrases.

I think any native English speaking person could do a better job than that woman teaching English to Thais.

"First post here. Recently returned from Chiang Rai after spending a month teaching English as a few primary schools and to monks at a Buddhist temple. I was often thrown out there by myself and although challenging, I got enjoyed it and got a lot of positive feedback and am hoping to return as a contract teacher. I am hoping to land a job without TEFL/TESOL certification."

With posts like this one I often wonder whether the OP enjoyed the job, challenging though it was (why?), and bathed in the positive feedback from his peers, while he was teaching in his home country? If he wasn't teaching in his home country then why wasn't he and why does he suddenly think his vocation is to be an unqualified teacher in Thailand?

This man seems to have crammed a lot into 4 weeks, teaching at a few schools and a temple. Why so much moving around? I'd love to know how he got a job at a temple as speaking English is hardly a priority of Thai monks.

As someone else posted, I'm glad he got enjoyed it as a few schools [sic].

At my wife's mother's house in Issan, their neighbor is a recently retired English teacher (Thai lady of course) after 40 years of teaching English in Thai schools.

Turns out she only knew about 7 or 8 phrases and couldn't understand anything besides these phrases.

I think any native English speaking person could do a better job than that woman teaching English to Thais.

So what you are saying is that because one ex-teacher didn't understand your English that is justification for allowing inexperienced, unqualified foreigners to try it? Brilliant.

"First post here. Recently returned from Chiang Rai after spending a month teaching English as a few primary schools and to monks at a Buddhist temple. I was often thrown out there by myself and although challenging, I got enjoyed it and got a lot of positive feedback and am hoping to return as a contract teacher. I am hoping to land a job without TEFL/TESOL certification."

With posts like this one I often wonder whether the OP enjoyed the job, challenging though it was (why?), and bathed in the positive feedback from his peers, while he was teaching in his home country? If he wasn't teaching in his home country then why wasn't he and why does he suddenly think his vocation is to be an unqualified teacher in Thailand?

This man seems to have crammed a lot into 4 weeks, teaching at a few schools and a temple. Why so much moving around? I'd love to know how he got a job at a temple as speaking English is hardly a priority of Thai monks.

There aren't that many TEFL jobs in western countries, so it's not unusual for TEFL teachers to start their career overseas.

International Volunteer Headquarters (IVHQ). They partner with various schools and have been sending volunteer teachers to a buddhist temple for years now. You can volunteer if you don't want to take my word for it although I must warn you it's not for old farang desperate men who come to Thailand because they aren't getting any action back home. It's mainly all recent college grads or Uni students who volunteer but all are welcome.

https://www.volunteerhq.org/volunteer-in-thailand

So what you are saying is that because one ex-teacher didn't understand your English that is justification for allowing inexperienced, unqualified foreigners to try it? Brilliant.

Hard for me to believe that you would prefer that retired Thai woman teaching your child rather than the OP of this thread.

But hey! To each his own.

You use textbooks and workbooks to teach from. I wasn't an Education major (in fact I went to an Ivy league school which doesn't even offer education/teaching) as a major.

I was a volunteer english teacher for only two months without a formal teaching background and received a lot of positive feedback from the directors/teachers of the schools I went to.

Teaching especially at the primary school level is about having patience and presenting material in a way that is engaging (implementing games and activities into the lesson plan). For example having students draw out a picture of their family when teaching them the words brother, sister, mother, father.

Dear god how naive can you get, they will always give you positive feedback no matter how bad you are, especially if you are not costing them anything. Drawing pictures and playing games is not learning how to speak English, neither is having boring grammar fed into kids heads.

Dear god how naive can you get, they will always give you positive feedback no matter how bad you are, especially if you are not costing them anything. Drawing pictures and playing games is not learning how to speak English, neither is having boring grammar fed into kids heads.

I agree with you about positive feedback. However, you can't teach English to non-native speakers beyond the age of 7 without 'boring' grammar. Without knowing how to conjugate the verb, there's little accuracy and consistency in your communication. You are training people to speak like bar girls. It's only boring if the teacher makes it boring. My experience is that EFL teachers who avoid grammar are usually scared of it.

Archived