Sweet Papaya

guyshown

They are the same kind of papaya.....only you pick it green for the som tam and wait for it to ripen for fruit.

My wife has grown some but not had good luck so I won't try to tell you how its done....hopefully others who have had better experience will post.

Chownah

Have grown from seed saved from papaya I bought in the market locally and have bought small plants from the big monthly market and grown on.There seem to be several varieties as some are shorter fatter growing and others grow longer and bigger generally.Seem to be easy to grow just need plenty of water to start them off.Once was shown a papaya way out in the hills growing wild in some scrub it was nearly 4 meters high and looked to be several years old.Was told fruit was no good.

Well we have a lot of papaya tress in the garden, my wife is leaving some to turn and ripen then they are sweet, basicaly it seems you leave them and let them turn yellow I think so the wife has said.

post-32485-1164098227_thumb.jpg

leave them to turn yellow

Edited by macb

• 3 weeks later...
Well we have a lot of papaya tress in the garden, my wife is leaving some to turn and ripen then they are sweet, basicaly it seems you leave them and let them turn yellow I think so the wife has said.

Thanks all for the reply-

What i have heard not sure if this is true or not" there is three sexes of papaya --male long and slinder female fat and big and a unisex which is the smaller kind of semi round shapped." seeds fromt the fruit can produce all three types of sexes that is what i have been told .. the unisex does not produce any seeds

does this sound right to all?

Thanks all for the reply-

What i have heard not sure if this is true or not" there is three sexes of papaya --male long and slinder female fat and big and a unisex which is the smaller kind of semi round shapped." seeds fromt the fruit can produce all three types of sexes that is what i have been told .. the unisex does not produce any seeds

does this sound right to all?

Apparently there are different types of papaya, but I am not sure about the sexing thing

I have no idea about varieties nor sex but I do know they are easy to grow, at least in this area. We have tall ones, short ones, big ones and small ones and they all seem to have fruit on them. When we first moved here there was one tree which I cut down to build my workshop. My wife scattered seeds whenever she bought a papaya and now the things are growing all over the place. I'd bet there are now at least 25 trees and all of those came from seeds and came up during the past three years.