New Site Feedback

Tech Doctor

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Are you using computer (with Chrome) at about 125% enlargemen

Yes, the text on Thaivisa is so difficult to read now so I have to use zoom .

But the screen shot I took was with 110% zoom .  It doesn't change going back to 100%. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, balo said:

Yes, the text on Thaivisa is so difficult to read now so I have to use zoom .

But the screen shot I took was with 110% zoom .  It doesn't change going back to 100%. 

Mine is OK at 100% using 1920x1080 res.  And appears Edge is OK after being bad last time I tried it.  But with Chrome anything above 100% makes a mess.  And agree to read it needs to be higher.  

19 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Mine is OK at 100% using 1920x1080 res

I'm on 1366x768 and WIndows 8 .

I am happy with my old laptop from 2013 , already replaced the harddrive  I also connect it to a big screen TV , still resolution is the same. 

On 10/11/2018 at 7:26 PM, CharlieH said:

Those same notifications are visible in black on white txt via the "bell" at top right of the screen.

I don't think the pop-up box that appears when someone replies to a topic is a "notification". (Or is it ?) 
In any event, I clicked on the "bell", went to Notifications/Options and there is nothing there that I can see that has to do with changing the font colours of the notifications (or the pop-up boxes).

Not sure if I'm missing something.

(Note at the bottom of the image below.)

593025307_TVimage.jpg.5ffb1836da54d7d2c703b00ccebc939d.jpg

Not sure if this has already been mentioned (not read the whole thread) but when I'm browsing  an active topic and a new post is made, the pop-up box appears at the bottom of the screen as before the change.

However, clicking on that box to read the new post doesn't work. I have to reload the page to see it.

30 minutes ago, SimonD said:

Not sure if this has already been mentioned (not read the whole thread) but when I'm browsing  an active topic and a new post is made, the pop-up box appears at the bottom of the screen as before the change.

However, clicking on that box to read the new post doesn't work. I have to reload the page to see it.

One would expect it to be a link but sadly it is just an interruption covering what you were reading.  Best to turn it off by clicking on notifications bell/selecting top right option for notification settings/select do not send notifications.  You will still have red number on bell to show you there are notifications and then can use that drop-down to click on actual links.  Unfortunately for many of us that notification bell is not displayed correctly - but that is another issue.

6 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

One would expect it to be a link but sadly it is just an interruption covering what you were reading.  Best to turn it off by clicking on notifications bell/selecting top right option for notification settings/select do not send notifications.  You will still have red number on bell to show you there are notifications and then can use that drop-down to click on actual links.  Unfortunately for many of us that notification bell is not displayed correctly - but that is another issue.

In fact it is a link but a very poorly placed one!  I experienced what you and @SimonD experienced but moving the mouse around within the box caused the mouse pointer to change indicating a link, but not exactly on the text as it used to be.

It's still functional, but IMO very sloppy.

For clarity...i'm using Windows / Chrome - I have not visited TV on a mobile device recently.

EDIT - apologies for the double post

• 3 weeks later...

Ad Blocking Software Detected

Why do you see this?
We have detected that you are running some sort of AdBlock in your computer. ThaiVisa needs adverts to support its costs and being able to provide you with information about Thailand and a place where to gather information about our beloved country. Please allow us to show you some offers from our partners so we can keep providing this free service to our visitors. If you wish to stop seeing this please disable your AdBlock plugin(s) and/or whitelist ThaiVisa.com domain on the same and reload this page, else please wait 30 seconds

This comes up when I click NEWS, blocking the page, but never goes away, regardless of number of seconds. 

• 2 weeks later...

Will there ever be an end to Error 520, latency issues and general fatigue on this site?  Absolutely ridiculous and almost certainly crippling the amount subscribers you could attract.

TV seems more intent on annoying subscribers with ad blockers than actually fixing the problem.  As they say in LOS, up to you.

On 11/14/2018 at 4:22 PM, fanjita said:

Will there ever be an end to Error 520, latency issues and general fatigue on this site?  Absolutely ridiculous and almost certainly crippling the amount subscribers you could attract.

TV seems more intent on annoying subscribers with ad blockers than actually fixing the problem.  As they say in LOS, up to you.

I tried to log in just after 6 pm and was met with error 520 once again.

The second time I got in, but this lunchtime the site was slow to change pages and topics.

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Site has been flaky again today - but not nearly as bad as a few days ago - if you wait awhile the post usually shows up.

Should we really have to wait awhile though??

Any way definitely dodgy again today

I have been trying to read my notifications and if I am lucky I can get 2 in before the site locks up again.

My latest try at midday on 28th November 2018 gave me this result.

Error 520 Ray ID: 480a4de07da349cd • 2018-11-28 05:06:16 UTC

Web server is returning an unknown error

What a surprise as I haven't seen that for a few days.

What IS going on, once again?

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

I have been trying to read my notifications and if I am lucky I can get 2 in before the site locks up again.

My latest try at midday on 28th November 2018 gave me this result.

Error 520 Ray ID: 480a4de07da349cd • 2018-11-28 05:06:16 UTC

Web server is returning an unknown error

What a surprise as I haven't seen that for a few days.

What IS going on, once again?

Same stuff here, and only with this forum....????

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

I obviously spoke too soon as seems to have gone to sleep again.

It seems to run in fits and starts.

Sometimes it runs well for 10 or 15 minutes and other times it can take 3 or 4 minutes to change a page.

I know if I was a sponsor on TVF I would be very unhappy.

I think that the Tech Doctor is doing a good job considering what he has to work with. As my Mum used to tell me, you can't make a silk purse from a pigs ear.

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

Had most of the above problems when accessing via Internet Explorer. Now access via Microsoft Edge and most problems seem to have disappeared. Worth a try.

I am using Google Chrome.

I used Firefox for years and I changed over earlier this year after the 3rd mess up.

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

It seems to run in fits and starts.

Sometimes it runs well for 10 or 15 minutes and other times it can take 3 or 4 minutes to change a page.

I know if I was a sponsor on TVF I would be very unhappy.

I think that the Tech Doctor is doing a good job considering what he has to work with. As my Mum used to tell me, you can't make a silk purse from a pigs ear.

The only problem with that theory is that other sites running identical software, with a similar amount of traffic, appear far less glitchy.

Maybe TV need to press the reset button on the Tech Doctor.

Not entirely sure if this is the correct place to mention this but @Tech Doctor perhaps you'd move it if it isn't please.

So when I try to Clear Notifications thus:

image.png.ec27b35a9a622f19b4cc459101ff4679.png

I get the following message:

Capture.JPG.febcf7c99cdc3a5a04ef2d1cf6462e68.JPG

I HAVE reported it via the Contact Us button.

FYI - Windows 10, Chrome with absolutely NO changes to my config since last week when the function worked perfectly.

If you need more info, feel free to PM me.

On 12/5/2018 at 9:31 AM, VBF said:

Not entirely sure if this is the correct place to mention this but @Tech Doctor perhaps you'd move it if it isn't please.

So when I try to Clear Notifications thus:

image.png.ec27b35a9a622f19b4cc459101ff4679.png

I get the following message:

Capture.JPG.febcf7c99cdc3a5a04ef2d1cf6462e68.JPG

I HAVE reported it via the Contact Us button.

FYI - Windows 10, Chrome with absolutely NO changes to my config since last week when the function worked perfectly.

If you need more info, feel free to PM me.

UPDATE (FYI)

"Clear Notifications" now works correctly

• 1 month later...

@Menus on an Android:

So, this is on a Samsung S3, but same glitch? as happens on a J1, Ace3 etc etc

all using whatever the latest Chrome at the time...

Ok, I by default use a Link, directing my, lets say Homepage, as 

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/discover/24/   for going straight to the latest 'View New Content'

however, right thru my session on TV, I always prefer to head back to that same View New Content 

so the journey thru the progressive Pulldown lists begins again...

the upper right (3 horizontal line) Icon;

which then goes the next 'page; the green bell,\ and PM; the Account...all the way down to the bottom entry, Support.

Of course< I want to Click on the Activity,

which will ideally then take me down tothe next level 'page', wher I then Click 'View New Content'

Well that is Ideal, when the Samsung Android page behaves itself?

In reality; instead of expecting to go to 'Activity'

what really happens is that the Screen in toto jumps vertically, and I end up instead Clicking on the 'Browse' or Support entrys!!

It is a pity that the Pulldown Listing is sooo extensive, that the Android screen cann ot handle it and erratically tries to progressively show all of what';s available for Clicking on! 

Question?

Is there any way to the page style admin to consider swapping the positions of one or a few Entries?

For example (in my personal choice)

- I see the Insurance/Travel/Property as a lower priority for repeated access to

- The 'Tech' and the 'Support' could be placed next to each other

-lastly, the 'More' (to me signifies something not high priority... a sort of after thought bottom of the barrel Entry. 

If it is not possible to do a Re-Order of positioning; is it possible instead to do that 'page' as a double column?  - in order to be able to fit everything on the one screen space, to eliminate the 'jumping?

Archived