New Site Feedback

Tech Doctor

3 minutes ago, MJCM said:

@JetsetBkk

Clipboard03.jpg

And then it shows up here:

clipb4.JPG

Sorry! I found that about 2 minutes after I posted!  default_facepalm.gif

It's a pity that the "Find Content"  link doesn't go straight to your default "View New Content" stream. But I can still use the bookmark, so it's not a big deal.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I won't repost all that I've written in a different thread, so I'll summarize it to: please do enable alternate themes with softer colors and less wasted screen real estate if possible. I'm sure that the forum software supports them (Invision if I'm not misled).

The current white theme is an eyesore and a real pain to people with sensitive eyes. Thanks <insert your favourite divinity's name here> I have found this "Care your eyes" Chrome extension. Its night mode makes the forum bearable again.

This and the fact that the density of information on-screen has dramatically decreased (à la Windows 10) so for those who don't have 20++ inch monitors, it's almost unreadable. Actually I have to keep my browser full-screen on my 1024x768 19" monitor to make the forum barely usable. That's a real regression compared to the former version.

I saw it coming and I feared it because the French-speaking forum had this before, and my fears turn out to be justified.

Faster? yes quite possibly but unlike many people here I had never suffered from really annoying slowdowns, maybe because I connect off peak-hours?

On Monday, August 01, 2016 at 10:33 AM, Tech Doctor said:

Please keep all site feedback and issues in this forum so we can address them. Please provide as much information as possible and screenshots where necessary.

And please keep the feedback constructive, after 36 hours the TD is tired.

Regards

TD

I just found something really neat default_smile.png : after you select some text, a link appears called "Quote this". Click on it and you can easily quote that bit of text or, as in this case, the whole of the post, even the OP - even though the OP doesn't have a quote button.

(Tech Doc: please don't change this! default_biggrin.png )

48 minutes ago, Lannig said:

The current white theme is an eyesore

I can't remember if it was you who I quoted hours ago, but have you tried F.lux? It dims your screen as the surrounding light goes down - based on sunrise/sunset data - and makes the screen much more comfortable to look at.

https://justgetflux.com/

I've used it since 2011 and personally couldn't do without it. There is a system tray icon with several options. One is to turn it off for an hour. When I do that I'm blinded and turn it back on again very quickly.

6 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

I can't remember if it was you who I quoted hours ago, but have you tried F.lux? It dims your screen as the surrounding light goes down - based on sunrise/sunset data - and makes the screen much more comfortable to look at.

https://justgetflux.com/

I've used it since 2011 and personally couldn't do without it. There is a system tray icon with several options. One is to turn it off for an hour. When I do that I'm blinded and turn it back on again very quickly.

Thanks for the tip but the issue isn't resolved by dimming the screen (I've tried doing it manually - didn't help). It's the thin character set over a white background that's a real pain to read to my ageing eyes, whatever the luminosity level is (spending 10+ hours a day facing computer screens almost all year long for over 30 years didn't help I guess - that's the life of us old geeks).

An inverted color scheme such as what I get in night mode with this Chrome extension I've mentioned above makes it much more readable. I just wish it could be done by selecting a theme on the forum itself. I've seen other Invision-based fora offering different themes to their members.

Just now, Lannig said:

Thanks for the tip but the issue isn't resolved by dimming the screen (I've tried doing it manually - didn't help). It's the thin character set over a white background that's a real pain to read to my ageing eyes, whatever the luminosity level is (spending 10+ hours a day facing computer screens almost all year long for over 30 years didn't help I guess - that's the life of us old geeks).

An inverted color scheme such as what I get in night mode with this Chrome extension I've mentioned above makes it much more readable. I just wish it could be done by selecting a theme on the forum itself. I've seen other Invision-based fora offering different themes to their members.

@Jonathan Fairfield - Can you add this to the after we have finished the upgrade, i think an inverted theme can be requested. @Lannig Thank you for the feedback, please let us finish getting the site and theme finalized before we make / recommend a second version.

TD

1 minute ago, Lannig said:

(spending 10+ hours a day facing computer screens almost all year long for over 30 years didn't help I guess - that's the life of us old geeks)

Did you used to work for me? default_biggrin.png

Give F.lux a try - you may be pleasantly surprised. default_wink.png

Now that the "BBCode mode" is gone, someone ought to go through the old threads in this forum and "clean" them up, eg. number 3 listed:

In fact, if that thread were left unlocked, I'm sure people could add some very useful tips. post-35489-0-86494800-1455289589.gif

OK, Tech Doc. Can you briefly explain what these files are that try to get downloaded sometimes:

front_front_streams.js.8a29cb65316bb685148f9df6c2f69471.js.gz from http://assets.thaivisa.com/forum/uploads/javascript_core

and

global_global_core.js.7d16634dc061f04fbd3693f17d4a5ea1.js.gz from http://assets.thaivisa.com/forum/uploads/javascript_core

They don't actually get downloaded but they trigger my Internet Download Manager which then appears in my System Tray.

3 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Has this been answered?

I also can't find it.

Yes, read from here onwards for a few posts:

5 hours ago, MJCM said:

@JetsetBkk

Try this (However it might not show any topics because the Indexing isn't finished)

1 minute ago, yorkieb said:

Tried to connect with thaivisa mobile app,  keep being told I don't have authority and I must login. But won't take me past the app front page and dumps me out so impossible to login.

Any advice. 

I'm having the same problem with Tapatalk app.

15 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

I'm still grumbling about loss of "BBCode Mode" in the reply box. default_mad.gif

And nested quotes. default_mad.gif

And, oh never mind default_biggrin.png

Yes, you're right! I knew there was something missing but couldn't put my finger on it. I too want to see only the topics I have posted in where someone has replied, not all of my posts.

Tech Doc? Are you aware?  default_smile.png

I am also looking for an answer to the missing My content. Is there a solution yet?

10 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

OK, Tech Doc. Can you briefly explain what these files are that try to get downloaded sometimes:

front_front_streams.js.8a29cb65316bb685148f9df6c2f69471.js.gz from http://assets.thaivisa.com/forum/uploads/javascript_core

and

global_global_core.js.7d16634dc061f04fbd3693f17d4a5ea1.js.gz from http://assets.thaivisa.com/forum/uploads/javascript_core

They don't actually get downloaded but they trigger my Internet Download Manager which then appears in my System Tray.

1- Core invision scripts for auto loading replies into threads.

2- Main global config js file for Invision software

All assets will be stored on the above url going forward as its a fully replicated CDN. @JetsetBkk

Just massive amounts of white space and forum topics have large spaces between them where it looks like more advertising will go.  Very poor layout for the average user.  Most people don't buy or pay attention to any advertisements.  All that this new format does is inconvenience the average and vast majority of users. 

How do you asses a persons reputation--?---the new feature.

Like your self with   212 post & over + 2 billion in reputation.

I think the spell check has improved (did you alter that or has my grammar just improved?)

There were times before when I had to go to Google (the best spell check on the internet,) to post it correctly.....................:coffee1:

I like the hover preview in the forum lists makes it easier to look into a topic and the ajax loading great feature too, however looks like the classifieds not working for some reason since this morning...

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/

Website Name:
classifieds.thaivisa.comURL Checked:
no responseResponse Time:
unknownLast Down:
DOWN
Classifieds.thaivisa.com is DOWN
It is not just you. The server is not responding...

Archived