American Thanksgiving

Sheryl

"Thursday is the US Thanksgiving holiday...does anyone know of places in BKK offering traditional Thanksgiving dinner?"

Hey Sheryl. Your best bet for an easy meal is to go pay for one in any American Restaurant in BKK. They will usually run nice deals for you, sometimes even bring you extras of something if you like. It still doesn't give that full table-for-grazing feeling though. Your best bet for that is a hotel, maybe Marriott or Hilton. But that's usually fancy and expensive.

The best thing you can do, overall, if you live here, is to pull together your American friends and make one happen yourself. (Finding something big enough to cook an actual turkey in is the next big step!!)

But anyway... there is often one American who is having a Thanksgiving Dinner who is a friend of yours, or friend of a friend. Just put feelers out there, that for an invite to one of those dinners, you'd be willing to make something or bring some wine or something. These ecclectic holiday gatherings never feel like they do back in our home countries, but they're a great chance to mingle and meet new folks. And sometimes if they do the cooking right, you do eat a proper home cooked meal that satisfies much better than any restaurant-bought plate of food would.

Gobble Gooble,

Realthaideal

Personally, I like the buffet at the Westin Grand on Sukhumvit. Not too expensive and the food is plentiful and good. Nice atmosphere. I've been going there for a couple of years and have reservations for Thursday.

Personally, I like the buffet at the Westin Grand on Sukhumvit. Not too expensive and the food is plentiful and good. Nice atmosphere. I've been going there for a couple of years and have reservations for Thursday.

Thanks for the tip, Lanny, I'll give it a try. My Cambodian niece will be with me and it will be her first time so I want a really authentic Thanskgiving spread....

Thursday is the US Thanksgiving holiday...does anyone know of places in BKK offering traditional Thanksgiving dinner?

bourbon Street? I attach their flyer.post-16153-1164096658_thumb.jpg

I will say this, it is a very popular place for Thanksgiving dinner. But, that's also the problem. About 4 or 5 years ago, we went there -- a group of 10 or 12 so we had a large table. Since it took some time for everyone to arrive, we sat and waited. We did order drinks, but not any heavy drinking. Doug came around several times asking if we were going to eat. Several of us commented about his rushing us.

The place was full, and he apparently added extra tables because everything seemed very crowded. I think he was just trying to speed the turnover of our table.

In addition, however, the buffet was a problem. The table he used was small and couldn't hold a lot of food. It took two or three trips to the table to get any white meat and even then we had to stand and wait for the staff to bring more from the kitchen.

Let me say that I do like the food at Bourbon Street. I love the BBQ ribs and the chicken fried steak. I meet one of my friends there about once a month for breakfast. But, Doug tries to do too much for Thanksgiving and Christmas and I avoid the place then.

Last year I had Thxgiving dinner at the fake Irish bar on Sukhumvit between Soi 2 and Soi 4 (I live in CM now). It wasn't the biggest, but it was damned good. Surprisingly great "real" cranberry sauce (and I'm from Mass., cranberryland), although I'm one of those weird people that actually prefer the fake jelly cranberry from the can with those weird lines.