Taxis In Cr?

chownah

Taxi service, that is cars that drive you around without looking like a Bangkok taxi, still taxis though. 200 baht from the airport to downtown. You can pay them for a full day as well. A friend of mine pays 800 baht for going to Mae Sai and that includes both ways etc.

I think for some sightseeing bonanza you could probably negotiate a price of 1000+ baht per day for a private driver.

The same can be done from any car rental in downtown.

"Labor" in Thailand finds need to organize in weird ways, sometimes not-so above board.

Most 'taxis' in the north are song-taows - cabs with two parallel benches in back. They and the tri-shaws and tuk-tuks fight initiating modern taxi service, here and particularly in ChiangMai. There are airport taxis (and vans), often requesting much more than B200...

On the way to Santikiri one often sees song-taows full of tourists... cars can be rented, with driver even. Most driver licenses from home country are sufficient. A driver costs about what a taxi-cab would, for anything more than a short haul. Recently my car was totalled by someone driving in my lane at a turn; my wife came to get me in a rental van with driver (she cannot get a license as she has no legal identity beyond a 'green card' - which is insufficient to apply) - she never told me, but I think it was about B1000 to drive to Mae Lao and pick me and my friend up, with bags, then deposit my friend at Ban Bua and me at home. Nopt cheap, but a taxi wouldn't have been either, nor even a song-taew. Songtaows wait by the bus station, general hospital, Big C and the Central Market (tha rot noi). They are at least more comfortable than standing in the green buses!

Goski is correct on the taxis at the airport.

I am not sure of the prices as I have never needed one. They can be identified as they have green license plates. They are parked just accross from the doors exiting the airport and there are little signs in Thai.

They dont have a taxi sign on them (but they are taxis) I would possibly refer to them as "cheap private cars"

ITR :o

Edited by In the Rai!

Goski is correct on the taxis at the airport.

I am not sure of the prices as I have never needed one. They can be identified as they have green license plates. They are parked just accross from the doors exiting the airport and there are little signs in Thai.

They dont have a taxi sign on them (but they are taxis) I would possibly refer to them as "cheap private cars"

ITR :o

Green licence plate vehicle are for hire such as limosine services that station at airport and hotel.