Dissatisfied customer as "Satisfied" the dog dies on last Nok Air pet flight

webfact

Dissatisfied customer as "Satisfied" the dog dies on last Nok Air pet flight

a5.jpg

Image: Sanook

BANGKOK: -- Following the news that a dog died after being transported in the hold of a Nok Air up country flight the company CEO has said that in future no more pets will be carried by the airline.

"Nong Phor Jai" - a wooly Siberian Husky pup - was found dead on arrival after a flight, reported Sanook

The owner complained on social media and was given the curtest of answers by the airline that cited its regulations saying they were not responsible for the death or injury of pets during or after the flight. 

And there was no chance of any compensation.

But Nok Air CEO Pathee Sarasin responded quickly to the controversy on a personal Facebook page - after the story was shared 13,500 times.

Pathee said that the company were sorry for the passenger's loss and that the passenger would be appropriately compensated. "And in order that it does not happen again Nok Air will cease carrying pets onboard its flights. Thank you", the message concluded.

The dog's owner said that suffocation looked the likely cause of death. Some netizens shrieked in horror at the dog's demise while others said it was stupid to load a pet in the hold of an aircraft - they would not be able to stand the atmosphere change.

The dog's owner posted "RIP - Nong Phor Jai". The dog's name translates as "Satisfied".

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-03

I think the dog is "satisfied" that it no longer has to contend with incompetent Thai any longer.  It's apparent that instead of trying to correct a grievous situation regarding the handling of animals onboard its flights. the airline chooses to take the lazy way out and simply refuse to deal with the situation in the future.  Some CEO!  Let's all just stick our heads in the sand and pretend that Thailand is a Utopia.  The real shame in all this is that the dog was probably much more intelligent than the staff and executives at Nok Air!

Transporting pets in the cargo hold is well known to be a problem.  And you are dealing with a budget airline.  If you have any concern for the safety of your pet, you wouldn't do this.

An irresponsible pet owner.

As much as Nok Air's solution is total BS, I must say that I'm not a fan of this new SJW internet mob mentality. IF the regulations that the passenger agreed to stated that the airline is not liable then the oassenger should not publicly condemn the airline and "netizens" should not be outraged and put pressure on the comoany to pay. :coffee1:

11 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Transporting pets in the cargo hold is well known to be a problem.  And you are dealing with a budget airline.  If you have any concern for the safety of your pet, you wouldn't do this.

An irresponsible pet owner.

Yes true but to transport pets by air now days cargo hold is basically the only option. It is the charge of the cargo handlers to inform the flight Crew there is a live animal on board so the hold can pressurised accordingly, clearly not done in this instance. Typical Thai nobody gives a shit attitude. As an owner breeder this is always one of my biggest fears and when ever airfreighting a dog I harp on about endlessly having said that though as an owner you can only do so much it is still the responsibility of ground/air Crew to do their job accordingly . Such a childish response from the airline too. Totally irresponsible yes but not necessarily the owner. 

1 minute ago, starky said:

Yes true but to transport pets by air now days cargo hold is basically the only option. It is the charge of the cargo handlers to inform the flight Crew there is a live animal on board so the hold can pressurised accordingly, clearly not done in this instance. Typical Thai nobody gives a shit attitude. As an owner breeder this is always one of my biggest fears and when ever airfreighting a dog I harp on about endlessly having said that though as an owner you can only do so much it is still the responsibility of ground/air Crew to do their job accordingly . Such a childish response from the airline too. Totally irresponsible yes but not necessarily the owner. 

Good comment Starky.

Cargo hold pressurisation and also temperature are most likely.

It happens and insurance is available and recommended.

Shame no vet was asked to give a cause of death. We'll never know.

21 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

That is not a breed of pet well suited to tropical locations and certsinly not to the high stagnant temperatures in a cargo hold.

i am sad for the little pup and hope the owner will become better educated before finding a new dog.

Had two near us as well as a St Bernard! all dead recently and not old

Key issue to know or to ask when transporting live animates in cargo hold is whether the cargo

hold in pressurized or not, depend on the cargo, now, you can't expect layman to know about it but surly the baggage handler's supervisors should have known and thus the onus of the death of the dog is clearly on their hands.....

44 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

That is not a breed of pet well suited to tropical locations and certsinly not to the high stagnant temperatures in a cargo hold.

i am sad for the little pup and hope the owner will become better educated before finding a new dog.

Bit of a myth that one it's not temperatures in the cargo hold at all any decent airline will have the hold pressurised correctly and if anything will be cold not hot. It's freight forwarders moving all their animals together and leaving them on hot tarmac or outside without hydration that is often the problem. I noticed in the picture that the pet carrier doesn't appear to have a sipper bottle on the outside for the dog which could also be a problem. Most airlines will have a no fly rule for animals once the outside ambient temperature is outside certain parameters and generally to do with the temperature of the tarmac as well. Again normally not a problem with most airlines but Nok has a lot to answer for in this instance but hey mai ba lai right?

United Airlines have a great pet transport department and great procedures.  You pay for it, but it's good.  When I brought my dog over here they warned me about the dangers of putting the pet in the hold.  No guarantees, especially for short snout dogs.

Again, it's a budget airline.  If you want a safer option, maybe try Thai Air?

http://www.nokfanclub.com/contents/journey_plan/travel_with_pet/en-US/index.html

Where carriage is not subject to the liability rules of the Convention, we are not responsible for injury to or loss, sickness or death of an animal which we have agreed to carry unless we have been negligent.

2 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

geThe cargo hold is bloody cold for the duration of the flight i would imagine.

Years ago my 15 year old cat survived a flight from Toronto to Mexico City and then a transfer to Acapulco in the cargo hold. Upon arrival in Mexico City I had the staff check to see if she was still alive, they sent a representative down to the tarmac to look into the cargo area and came back and told me that she was fine.

The most unbelievable thing was making me take her out of the carrier to go through the x ray machine in Toronto before taking her for cargo loading. I was afraid that she would jump off the conveyor belt and run through the airport. What fools.

1 minute ago, Colabamumbai said:

Years ago my 15 year old cat survived a flight from Toronto to Mexico City and then a transfer to Acapulco in the cargo hold. Upon arrival in Mexico City I had the staff check to see if she was still alive, they sent a representative down to the tarmac to look into the cargo area and came back and told me that she was fine.

The most unbelievable thing was making me take her out of the carrier to go through the x ray machine in Toronto before taking her for cargo loading. I was afraid that she would jump off the conveyor belt and run through the airport. What fools.

Fools?

Passenger Safety is far more important than a silly cat.

49 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

geThe cargo hold is bloody cold for the duration of the flight i would imagine.

Its the heat that kills the dogs while they are waiting at the gate and on the tarmac. Poor air circulation.

Dehydration.

You might be confusing the cargo hold with the nose gear space. It is exposed to the outside air temps that reach -40* or colder.

3 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

I agree. But it appears to have been the latest fashion accessory for the past couple of years here. A bloody Husky with a double coat in these temperatures, I ask you. That being said, Beagles appear to be the newest fad. Shorter coats and more alike the indigenous Mah Thai. 

All aircraft holds are pressurised. However the temperature control levels are lower in the holds than in the cabins, temperatures dependent upon cargo. If an animal is part of the cargo, the temperature is generally raised but will still be lower than the cabin. 

3 minutes ago, Tuk Dua said:

All aircraft holds are pressurised. However the temperature control levels are lower in the holds than in the cabins, temperatures dependent upon cargo. If an animal is part of the cargo, the temperature is generally raised but will still be lower than the cabin. 

One more time.

animals that die in cargo are the result of overheating and dehydration.

They do not freeze to death...even in the Arctic.

6 hours ago, Smiley Face said:

I think the dog is "satisfied" that it no longer has to contend with incompetent Thai any longer.  It's apparent that instead of trying to correct a grievous situation regarding the handling of animals onboard its flights. the airline chooses to take the lazy way out and simply refuse to deal with the situation in the future.  Some CEO!  Let's all just stick our heads in the sand and pretend that Thailand is a Utopia.  The real shame in all this is that the dog was probably much more intelligent than the staff and executives at Nok Air!

It´s called the Thai way. Not our fault, it was cold up there and no air to breath ???

Not nice for the dog. But you get what you pay for. And Nok Air is very average. I landed with them last week, and it was so hard (like free dropping the last 10 feet vertically - literally) even the toughest among us blurted involuntary profanities. Later the captain apologized, which worried me more.

11 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

Ouch! Well said.  Thanks for the comment based on personal experience, not personal prejudice or desire to see one's Avatar in print.

Not entirely accurate though as a breeder I have used Thai Air/ Thai smile many many times to freight my dogs never had a drama. In fact a couple of times when accompanying puppies I have been allowed to travel with them as carry-on. To my knowledge Bangkok air also has no problem with live cargo so to say that Nok air is the only domestic carrier is a misnomer, and I freight my dogs all over Thailand and the world. 

What is the policy with Lion Air, which was not mentioned.

Incidentally, a St. Bernard is famous for its rescuing activities in Switzerland in snow, but still thrives in Thailand, and is more exuberant and happy than any I have seen or bred in Europe !

I believe it is in most of the cases forbidden to travel with pets inside cabin, when over N kg of weight (maybe 10?), including the carrier box and ofc excluding service dogs, so the cargo hold is usually the only option for air travel. When we brought our dog from europe, we opted for Thai Airways (after reviewing all the carriers' pet transport clauses), and everything went fine and dandy.

The dog was loaded into the cargo hold after boarding was complete, so was kept inside the hangar in the cool, because of a scorching hot day, and also was offloaded from the plane immediately after landing in CNX, his vitals were checked & he was given a large bowl of water whilst waiting for stupid human passing the immigration controls - all and all better customer service than from any european carrier we've flown, and the cost of his travel was in comparison "free".

The case in OP would need a vet certify the cause of death, instead of guessing what happened, so to prove negligence on ground or air crew. The reply from the CEO being quite inane and childish - TiT as usual. :coffee1:

Archived