How to get to Klong Toey wet market

Ganador

Hi guys. I am still trying to find my way around Bangkok, and I would like to check out the Klong Toey wet market.

I am starting out from BTS Nana. Is there a bus from there to that market... or maybe a motorcycle taxi?

I heard that some moto taxis will take you there... wait for you while you shop... then bring you back?

And what would I expect to pay to go there, either by bus or moto? Any helpful suggestions welcome...

You can walk there - go down Sukhumvit Soi 10 to the Tobacco Monopoly and then down the back of Benjakitti PArk - past Queen Sirkit Convention Centre ad use the MRT underground walkway and acorss Rama 4 to the market. About a 20-3o minute walk perhaps. Alternatively go via MRT fro Sukhumvit to Queen Sirikit and then just walk across. It is predominantly a fresh (wet) market although there are all sorts of other goodies for sale. By bike I would imagine it would be maybe B50 - B80 one-way. Depends on exactly where you start off. Good Luck and prepare to get wet feet/shoes. Also maybe go early, it get hot there and also be prepared to be ignored if you want to just buy very small quantities of food. Lots of people that shop there buy large quantities i.e. wholesale quantities. All in all an interesting market though. Very 'colorful'.

Forget the ridiculous walking advice, it's a very long walk unless you're a certified masochist and MrJohnson's directions are useless if you're not familiar with the area as you clearly are not. 

There's lots of motorbikes and taxis around Nana BTS and most will understand Klong Toey market.  Depending on the traffic a taxi will probably cost around 60/100 baht, a bike much the same.

No need to ask the taxi to wait, there's so many around there you'll have no difficulty getting one to take you back.  They will wait but they'll charge you for it on top of the fare.

No vendors there will ignore you for not buying wholesale, you'll be treated the same as every other customer.

Let's keep it simple. 

BTS Nana -> Asok

Transfer to MRT Sukhumvit (just walk downstairs)

MRT Sukhumvit -> Queen Sirikit station

Exit and Klong Thoey market is straight ahead, cross Rama IV using the stairs.

Return same way, total walking time 3 minutes.

13 minutes ago, Jdietz said:

Let's keep it simple. 

BTS Nana -> Asok

14 minutes ago, Jdietz said:

Let's keep it simple. 

BTS Nana -> Asok

Or, let's keep it simple and consistent with the OP's question. Get a bike or a taxi from Nana BTS directly to the market, easy.

Walking your way from Nana to Klong Toey Market won't be that easy...it's gonna be along walk! Take a taxi cab instead, it won't cost you more than a hundred baht, and no need to let the taxi wait for you and charge you extra, because a lot of taxis pass by there going back to Nana. 

11 hours ago, oswald18 said:

Walking your way from Nana to Klong Toey Market won't be that easy...it's gonna be along walk! Take a taxi cab instead, it won't cost you more than a hundred baht, and no need to let the taxi wait for you and charge you extra, because a lot of taxis pass by there going back to Nana. 

I wonder why I didn't suggest that?   Oh, hang on, I did, 2 days ago.

Ganador, you're welcome.

Thanks folks for all your input and directions... if I was 20 years younger I might try walking it. But a taxi or moto seems like the best option... and yes I will wear some suitable footwear... coz I know wet markets can be wet. LOL

As an alternative to the very large and not easy to get to Klong Toey market, I suggest the smaller but still very interesting Phra Khanong wet market, an easy 5 minute walk from the Phra Khanong BTS.

It has a wide array of fresh fruits & veggies, spices, meats, poultry, fish, household goods, clothing and fabrics.  It is much cleaner and less chaotic than KT.

Directions: BTS, Bearing direction, 5 stops to Phra Khanong. Use Exit #3 and walk in the direction of traffic on Sukhumvit,  cross (carefully) Sukhumvit 71 and keep walking on Sukhumvit.

You will start seeing alleys with many vendors on your left.  These all lead into the dry goods area of the market.  It's easy to get lost in there...I suggest you keep going until you get to the "Zenith Condominium" (7-11 on ground level) The primary entrance to the market is on your left with many fruit sellers.  Walk down and the first lane on your right is veggies, herbs, meats, ect. Fresh fish at the end where you turn left and left on the next lane that takes you back to the entry road. You will see lanes going to clothing and household goods all around.

Side tour:  If you walk down to the nearby Phra Khanong canal, a longtail boat leaves from the pier nearest Sukhumvit every 2 hours and goes about 8-10km to the Srinakarin area, then returns...a great boat ride for B20.  You can get off along the way and explore the network of walkways and he will pick you up when he returns.  A part of Bangkok you would never see otherwise. 

As an alternative to the very large and not easy to get to Klong Toey market, I suggest the smaller but still very interesting Phra Khanong wet market, an easy 5 minute walk from the Phra Khanong BTS.

It has a wide array of fresh fruits & veggies, spices, meats, poultry, fish, household goods, clothing and fabrics.  It is much cleaner and less chaotic than KT.

Directions: BTS, Bearing direction, 5 stops to Phra Khanong. Use Exit #3 and walk in the direction of traffic on Sukhumvit,  cross (carefully) Sukhumvit 71 and keep walking on Sukhumvit.

You will start seeing alleys with many vendors on your left.  These all lead into the dry goods area of the market.  It's easy to get lost in there...I suggest you keep going until you get to the "Zenith Condominium" (7-11 on ground level) The primary entrance to the market is on your left with many fruit sellers.  Walk down and the first lane on your right is veggies, herbs, meats, ect. Fresh fish at the end where you turn left and left on the next lane that takes you back to the entry road. You will see lanes going to clothing and household goods all around.

Side tour:  If you walk down to the nearby Phra Khanong canal, a longtail boat leaves from the pier nearest Sukhumvit every 2 hours and goes about 8-10km to the Srinakarin area, then returns...a great boat ride for B20.  You can get off along the way and explore the network of walkways and he will pick you up when he returns.  A part of Bangkok you would never see otherwise. 

Good tip for the boat ride.

Phra Khanong market ain't khlong toey though and is barely worth a visit .

Khlong Toey is remarkably easy to get to by taxi or mrt

You can walk there - go down Sukhumvit Soi 10 to the Tobacco Monopoly and then down the back of Benjakitti PArk - past Queen Sirkit Convention Centre ad use the MRT underground walkway and acorss Rama 4 to the market. About a 20-3o minute walk perhaps. Alternatively go via MRT fro Sukhumvit to Queen Sirikit and then just walk across. It is predominantly a fresh (wet) market although there are all sorts of other goodies for sale. By bike I would imagine it would be maybe B50 - B80 one-way. Depends on exactly where you start off. Good Luck and prepare to get wet feet/shoes. Also maybe go early, it get hot there and also be prepared to be ignored if you want to just buy very small quantities of food. Lots of people that shop there buy large quantities i.e. wholesale quantities. All in all an interesting market though. Very 'colorful'.

Can you cut through from soi 10 into the park? I thought it was blocked access for the public

36 minutes ago, Pockys said:

Can you cut through from soi 10 into the park? I thought it was blocked access for the public

OPEN gate access at the end of Soi 10.

The new park grounds are closed but the road is open.

You can also still walk the bikepath to Lumpini.

Archived