Six dead, 40 injured after Bangkok bound tour bus crashes head on into 10 wheeler

webfact

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Sensationalism I have taken many many night buses,  never had a problem. So your comment is a mental note to yourself I presume.

Not a mental note, but from reading about these accidents over the past 15 years.  Most happen at night.  It's a fact.

http://www.bactrack.com/blogs/expert-center/35042821-the-most-dangerous-times-on-the-road

the highest number of drunk drivers is on the road between midnight and 3 a.m. Fatal crashes are also four times higher at night than during the day.

2 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Not a mental note, but from reading about these accidents over the past 15 years.  Most happen at night.  It's a fact.

http://www.bactrack.com/blogs/expert-center/35042821-the-most-dangerous-times-on-the-road

As the link won't open is this link about thailand!!! I have used night buses here for over 15 yrs without incedent. Yes there are many bus crashes here not disputing that l. I feel safe traveling at night.

8 hours ago, Yoram said:

Note to self, do not sit in the front rows of the bus, or better yet, walk, cycle of fly,

but avoid Thai buses with sleepy drivers,

Worked it out years ago in south america. Two thirds of the way down the bus, passenger side,aisle seat.

It never ceases to amaze me the total lack of disrespect most of these bus drivers have for their passengers and other road users. I have seen it so many times they way they drive even in traffic. Driving a bus is such a responsible job and should not be given to lunatics and idiots who have no respect for their own lives less mind passengers and other road users.

R.I.P. to all the deceased.  

2 hours ago, mesterm said:

:cheesy:

I could post hundreds of stories of  idiots getting killed playing this game or just using 

the smart (dumb) phone getting killed but what do I know maybe I should get the 

names and addresses of the 2 girls I nearly killed this week walking across the road 

without looking faces glued to there smart phones :bah:

I took a bus ride several years ago on a bus in Ecuador.  I got the seat right next to the driver.  On top of the engine.  I was amazed nobody had taken it as the bus was almost full.  When I got off, the guy working at the hotel told me they call that the "suicide" seat. 

51 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

As the link won't open is this link about thailand!!! I have used night buses here for over 15 yrs without incedent. Yes there are many bus crashes here not disputing that l. I feel safe traveling at night.

Is this better? 

http://tastythailand.com/long-distance-buses-in-thailand-are-dangerous-two-more-bus-crashes-and-deaths-in-3-days/

Travelling at night is particularly dangerous

Travelling by long-distance bus in Thailand at night can be particularly dangerous. That’s because the drivers are sometimes too tired to drive long stretches and do occasionally fall asleep.

They also drive too fast for the poor visibility and have been known to even hit cars parked at the side of the road, either due to cars being illegally parked or the bus driver driving too fast to see them in time.

Glad you feel save traveling at night.  It's one of the most dangerous times to travel.  IMHO, not worth the risk.

Interesting article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/British-teenagers-died-in-Thai-gap-year-bus-crash-after-driver-errors/

She said figures suggested there were around 12,000 people killed in accidents each year in Thailand, compared to 3,000 in Britain. She said she wanted the Foreign Office to "take responsibility for their British citizens".

3 hours ago, Borzandy said:

Tonight at 3:00, I was driving from Hua Hin to BKK. I followed two buses driven/sneaking at 130 Km / h for almost 20 minutes. Very impressive. Hoping that the drivers were awake and the passengers were sleeping.

They obviously didn't crash as they are not mentioned in the news.

41 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

I could post hundreds of stories of  idiots getting killed playing this game or just using 

names and addresses of the 2 girls I nearly killed this week walking across the road 

How badly were they injured?

7 hours ago, tracker1 said:

When will Thailand ever get serious about the carnage on their roads ? It seems like population control in a mental way we have a Prime Minister that can remove sun chairs from a beach but can't do anything about the traffic accidents !

Removing chairs from a beach is the easy job.

Educating a country with plus or minus 76,000,000 people is a different kettle of fish.

Lets take the first rule in safe vehicle driving when a driver is looking at the vehicle in front and he looses sight of the rear tires on the road of the vehicle in front, he is getting too close.

Thais and it seems foreigners are quick in copying Thai drivers by practically climbing right up the back of the vehicle in front. In the real world that is called "TAILGATING" and is a driving violation. Not so it seems in Thailand.  

4 hours ago, Borzandy said:

Tonight at 3:00, I was driving from Hua Hin to BKK. I followed two buses driven/sneaking at 130 Km / h for almost 20 minutes. Very impressive. Hoping that the drivers were awake and the passengers were sleeping.

Maybe there's a reason why in Europe those tourbuses can only go 90-100 km/hr max?

And in Europe the roads are much better , no soidogs or flying chickens or falling coconuts.

1 hour ago, Deepinthailand said:

Sensationalism I have taken many many night buses,  never had a problem. So your comment is a mental note to yourself I presume.

Your "logic" here is kind of like boasting that you've many times played Russian roulette with a loaded handgun, but have yet to blow your brains out. Good luck with that.

For me, I prefer not to point a loaded gun at my head and pull the trigger, hoping the round isn't in the chamber. Translation: I won't take overnight buses and risk all-to-common death, notwithstanding your lucky survival thus far.

2 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

plsssssss......................take some more

Do these drivers actually take a test ? or is it the same as for a normal licence, drive around our safe little track, stop at the signs, look left and right and proceed, thank you sir/madam you passed here is your licence to kill.

Do they have Tachographs ? proper rest periods ? Speed limiters ? No I didn't think so, whatever happened to a previous governments pledge to have limiters and GPS in all passenger carrying vehicles like buses and minibuses ? Oh I know, it went into the file marked B1N (too difficult) 

Many years ago I was a coach driver in the UK and on the Continent, my lessons and test were very intense and to pass the PSV test was considered an example of the highest standards of road craft. I'm afraid that that road craft is sadly lacking in all echelons of Thai society, the basic concept that I can figure out is that my vehicle is (pick whatever you want) Newer than yours, more expensive than yours, is bigger than yours or is faster than yours, so get the <deleted> outta my way.

9 hours ago, saltandpepper said:

Ah....the rain is the culprit then....

I feel better coz for one minute I thought it was the driver's fault....

Imagine the carnage on the roads if Thailand also had snow, sleet or ice on its roads! Thai equivalent of the Highway Code does not say reduce speed in bad weather, only pay more attention...

59 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Your "logic" here is kind of like boasting that you've many times played Russian roulette with a loaded handgun, but have yet to blow your brains out. Good luck with that.

For me, I prefer not to point a loaded gun at my head and pull the trigger, hoping the round isn't in the chamber. Translation: I won't take overnight buses and risk all-to-common death, notwithstanding your lucky survival thus far.

Where or when did I even look like I was boasting I said quote "I feel safe travelling at night". Lucky survivor my arse. I stand just as much chance dying traveling down to my local tesco. I also said I agree there are to many bus crashes. If you want to try and place it in the same category as Russian roulette then that according  to people on here comes in to play every time you walk out of your front door. Me personaly I think when it's your time that's it your <deleted> time to die. But I am not sitting in worrying about it or stopping doing what I have done for years because some people think they now best when I should travel. In the same breath I could say to those people lighten up get a life and stop worrying as that will kill you as well. I am not supporting drivers or thai buses I just feel safe end of.

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I don't worry about it either, because I don't/won't take overnight buses in Thailand. :)

And dunno about your neighborhood, but I can safely say that walking out my front door at home is a whole lot safer than taking an overnight bus in Thailand.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit another for ignore list

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I don't worry about it either, because I don't/won't take overnight buses in Thailand. :)

And dunno about your neighborhood, but I can safely say that walking out my front door at home is a whole lot safer than taking an overnight bus in Thailand.

I do worry about all those accidents with buses and boats. I can't believe the big General doesn't see this. Why doesn't he order the police to fine all drivers who are speeding with public transport vehicles?

I can't believe how stupid they are....Seems that they don't give a dime about big roadaccidents or eachothers lives.

3 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

#yolo

Archived