Young Aussie plunges to death from Bangkok hotel balcony - body found completely naked

rooster59

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, farcanell said:

This article is about people FALLING.... I don't claim otherwise.... It highlights the overall problem of falls, which includes falls from heights, workplace fall, falls on steps, etc

after multiple hours, using many keywords, I have been unable to find any worthwhile articles on the net, that compare balcony falls, from country to country

the salient point being the second half of the first paragraph, which points out that two thirds of falls happen in lower income countries... Specifically Western pacific and SE Asian countries.... Like here 

If I could have found a breakdown in fall categories, then I would have obviously quoted that, but I could not.... So instead I used the raw figures, which show that over 50% of fatal falls worldwide, happen here (which, logically, is perhaps indicative that more balcony falls also happen here, as well)...... but don't let my sometimes skewed logic hold you back....please do try for yourself, and hopefully you will find something more useful to impart to us all

oh.... And do bear in mind other postings have shown that Thai police don't keep balcony fall stats, as shown in the link by Shawn, somewhere above... Good luck... And I look forward to the results of YOUR research.

Well, one thing if for sure, Thailand is not particularly unusual in this respect, Magaluf alone sees a few fatal falls per month in season and there are some 3000 balcony falls reported worldwide of Brits alone, albeit the vast majority of these are not fatal, but it is such a serious problem affecting British tourists abroad that the British foreign office issued a warning over balcony safety whilst on holiday, the biggest difference I can see is that in none of the other tourist resorts worldwide is there an expat community calling foul play every time someone falls over a hand rail while drunk.

2 hours ago, Shawn0000 said:

Well, one thing if for sure, Thailand is not particularly unusual in this respect, Magaluf alone sees a few fatal falls per month in season and there are some 3000 balcony falls reported worldwide of Brits alone, albeit the vast majority of these are not fatal, but it is such a serious problem affecting British tourists abroad that the British foreign office issued a warning over balcony safety whilst on holiday, the biggest difference I can see is that in none of the other tourist resorts worldwide is there an expat community calling foul play every time someone falls over a hand rail while drunk.

Interesting last sentence.... I'm assuming you have thoroughly checked this "fact" prior to attack... (A poet... Didn't know it)

i just checked the Aussi govt website, and they recommend avoiding Thailand, for a multitude of reasons, but they did not mention balcony falls.

anyway... When alls said and done.... I doubt that this was either suicide or murder, but an accident .... Or death by misadventure ( as a younger man, I would often walk the handrails, not bright, but as with everything youthful, it seemed a good idea at the time)

thankfully his fall would have only taken a couple of seconds.... When Coupled with "sensory overload" ...( that's the oh sh** factor), so he wouldn't have known much about it.... So.... RIP young compatriot... And hopefully your death will further highlight the dangers of holidaying in Thailand.... Information is power.... Helping those yet to come.

13 hours ago, farcanell said:

Interesting last sentence.... I'm assuming you have thoroughly checked this "fact" prior to attack... (A poet... Didn't know it)

i just checked the Aussi govt website, and they recommend avoiding Thailand, for a multitude of reasons, but they did not mention balcony falls.

anyway... When alls said and done.... I doubt that this was either suicide or murder, but an accident .... Or death by misadventure ( as a younger man, I would often walk the handrails, not bright, but as with everything youthful, it seemed a good idea at the time)

thankfully his fall would have only taken a couple of seconds.... When Coupled with "sensory overload" ...( that's the oh sh** factor), so he wouldn't have known much about it.... So.... RIP young compatriot... And hopefully your death will further highlight the dangers of holidaying in Thailand.... Information is power.... Helping those yet to come.

No, there may be some other expat community out there somewhere also calling foul of balcony falls, but it certainly isn't the norm, most places seem to be trying to warn people of the dangers of messing around on balconies while drunk, some resorts have a difficult time stopping the young people jumping into the pool from their balconies and also climbing between rooms.

2 hours ago, Shawn0000 said:

No, there may be some other expat community out there somewhere also calling foul of balcony falls, but it certainly isn't the norm, most places seem to be trying to warn people of the dangers of messing around on balconies while drunk, some resorts have a difficult time stopping the young people jumping into the pool from their balconies and also climbing between rooms.

No?

Later I might try some specific countries, randomly picked from popular tourist destinations, to see if I can find anything (although I think I already have done this)

Another complicating factor is that with land prices and availability rising.... People are building upwards, which means more falls (especially when tossing in shoddy workmanship.)

also.. And unfortunately.... You can't stop the misadventure bit, without completely removing the balcony in favor of sealed Windows, as seems to be becoming the norm.... I'd be a liar if I denied the odd Bomby of a balcony, or rooftop.

unfortunately, a norm seems a little hard to establish.... I wonder if other countries have forums similar to this that may be worth perusing... Assumedly they do... That might lead somewhere.... Probably straight to a headache

cheers

On 08/08/2016 at 2:08 PM, Rorri said:

You are so very WRONG, many are reported as death by misadventure, and in WA they are often reported as  a police incident, or if by train, rail incident, in oder to reduce copycat deaths.

I believe I am correct. I have lost a few friends to suicide (???) and every occurence was not reported as an incident etc but as suicide. The copycat bit I find is a bit of a stretch.

57 minutes ago, waighty said:

I believe I am correct. I have lost a few friends to suicide (???) and every occurence was not reported as an incident etc but as suicide. The copycat bit I find is a bit of a stretch.

You are correct ???

the reason for this is that suicides are becoming such a problem within society, that it can no longer be ignored, so it must be acknowledged to be addressed.

however, prior to this "enlightenment", it would be fair to say that suicides were not reported accurately because of the copycat phenomenon.... But we have moved on from that, as intelligent people are want to do

but that's Australia..., I can't speak to the intelligence of other nations, without research, which I will leave to members of those other nations

Archived