Dozens of tourists test positive for drugs at Samui pub raid

rooster59

5 minutes ago, JJGreen said:

Tourism should overrule any laws on drugs?

'Tell you what.  Look up all the over the counter meds, the supplements and food ingredients you've eaten in the past 12 months, looking for how many of them will give a positive result on the first round of piss testing.

Then ask yourself if you really want to be in a bar where they come in and haul off everyone that pees purple.  

My MD in Bangkok told me to stay out of tourist bars for that very reason.  He said I'd eventually be cleared, but it could take weeks for the more definitive results to clear me.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Rules are rules. Obey them or do not bother coming to Thailand.  Deport them all!

What about the guys who break the laws about hookers?   Or is that different?   TVF would be a ghost town if your suggestion were followed...

Edit:  And let's not forget the rules about drinking after hours, driving after drinking, riding without a helmet,  speeding, buying booze on Buddhist holidays, and on and on.  Deport 'em all?

19 minutes ago, impulse said:

No, randomly piss testing 100 people just out having a good time would be rather offputting to tourists from countries where that kind of thing is constitutionally protected against.  

Which includes most of the home countries represented by posters here on TVF.  

Of course, Thailand is free to do whatever they wish.  But to ignore the consequences to tourism is rather short sighted.

Edit:  It would be scary enough if the guys doing the testing had stellar reputations for honesty and fair dealing and never extorting money.  But we all know that ain't true, and so does every tourist that's done any research before they hop on the plane.

I think most adult tourists in this day and age understand that drug abuse is a problem in many countries and likely OK with these spot checks, I certainly am. And I don't have a problem with the cops trying to stitch me up, they haven't in fifteen years and they're not going to either.

8 minutes ago, impulse said:

What about the guys who break the laws about hookers?   Or is that different?   TVF would be a ghost town if your suggestion were followed...

Its no different. Its the law. However if the police/government want to turn a blind eye  to hookers and prostitution, for their own beneficial reasons,  then thats up to them. If they decide to arrest drug users/pushers etc, then why pussy foot about?

Drug abuse is a totally different ballgame to consensual sex.

4 hours ago, mcfish said:

So you would be OK with your own kid doing drugs in a night club?

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Think the answer to that  from most worldly people is an outstanding yes depending on the drug of course!  I and most people, I believe, have got themselves into more trouble and put themselves and others in harms way more often through excessive drinking than   a joint or XTC pill or tab of acid.     I don't understand why anything that  Doesnt effect others is illegal. In  a free society one should be able to choose their own poison.  

4 hours ago, mcfish said:

So you would be OK with your own kid doing drugs in a night club?

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

you surmise a great deal but what i have written has slipped past your understanding of the English language 

1 minute ago, epicstuff said:

Think the answer to that  from most worldly people is an outstanding yes depending on the drug of course!  I and most people, I believe, have got themselves into more trouble and put themselves and others in harms way more often through excessive drinking than   a joint or XTC pill or tab of acid.     I don't understand why anything that  Doesnt effect others is illegal. In  a free society one should be able to choose their own poison.  

Sadly, yaba is at epidemic levels here now.  Ruining people's and families lives.  But yes, alcohol is a far bigger problem.

4 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Its no different. Its the law. However if the police/government want to turn a blind eye  to hookers and prostitution, for their own beneficial reasons,  then thats up to them. If they decide to arrest drug users/pushers etc, then why pussy foot about?

Drug abuse is a totally different ballgame to consensual sex.

No, it's not.  Except in some perceptions.  It's voluntary, consensual and the effect on others is pretty similar, with money and the violence and crime associated with the money being the most common thread.

4 hours ago, borisloosebrain said:

Yeah I know but that's a religious thing isn't it ? Buddha didn't say thou shalt not puff in a shisha pipe (unless you're ordained).

was  following a pick up on the road last night. there were 4 monks on the back smoking cigarettes. budda said not to use intoxicating substances. not really sure how it all works. cant see how shisha is any worse than smoking which is done pretty much everywhere. would rather see smoking banned but i guess people hhave the right to kill themselves how ever they want.

Edit:  And let's not forget the rules about drinking after hours, driving after drinking, riding without a helmet,  speeding, buying booze on Buddhist holidays, and on and on.  Deport 'em all?

All gone dude. mass exodus.

19 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

I think most adult tourists in this day and age understand that drug abuse is a problem in many countries and likely OK with these spot checks, I certainly am. And I don't have a problem with the cops trying to stitch me up, they haven't in fifteen years and they're not going to either.

You and I haven't seen the world, nor Thailand, through the eyes of a tourist in years, if not decades.  

(Except when I go to Pattaya.  No matter how long I live in Thailand, I'll always feel the tourist down there)

A tourist spends 96% of his time living under one set of laws, then spends a couple of weeks under another.  We've grown accustomed to living here under these rules.  They never will.

1 minute ago, craigt3365 said:

Sadly, yaba is at epidemic levels here now.  Ruining people's and families lives.  But yes, alcohol is a far bigger problem.

pretty much yaba and ice are the 2 main exceptions to the rule!!! heroin is a worry but its not likely to be used as a night club drug.  your comment is all the more reason to end the drug wars. and educate and perhaps even make safer more recreational drugs more readily available.    I cant believe that any youth would deliberately choose  yaba or ice over XTC  or even cocaine.  XTC is cheep to produce as the precursor is from this region!!  So it is all about drug lords choosing the most profitable  and addictive drug to provide for consumption not the free market choosing their preferential recreational product.  

its sad that one of the highlights of visiting the UK hometown Dudley is to have a shesha.

after years of working in the middle east something i enjoy along with a mint tea

Good beer i love ,bad beer i can ignore!

4 hours ago, borisloosebrain said:

But so is whisky cigarettes and junk food.... Sounds a bit too instrusive and nanny state ish . Singapore is a pretty dodgy role model imho

Did you miss the campaigns against tobacco throughout ASEAN, the drink sensibly campaigns and the amount of media on obesity and junk food (even McD are revising their recipes).

Shisha is not good for you. Read the article link that Craig was kind enough to post for you. Smoking is more common in the ME countries I've lived and worked in because alcohol is more strictly controlled and expensive and Moslems can't drink alcohol openly. So they smoke.

'Tell you what.  Look up all the over the counter meds, the supplements and food ingredients you've eaten in the past 12 months, looking for how many of them will give a positive result on the first round of piss testing.

Then ask yourself if you really want to be in a bar where they come in and haul off everyone that pees purple.  

My MD in Bangkok told me to stay out of tourist bars for that very reason.  He said I'd eventually be cleared, but it could take weeks for the more definitive results to clear me.

I wouldn't want any urine test administered in Thailand and I don't take illicit drugs

18 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

You can "Happy" pizza in Cambodia.  It's everywhere.

but not in the extra happy pizza next door. they were shocked when i asked.

they just keep the name without knowing what it means.

5 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Yes, but alcohol is banned in many ME countries.

Alcohol is one of the worst drugs known to mankind. That MJ is illegal and rage inducing, liver killing alcohol is legal shows just how fracked up society is.

Are those "tourists" in the photo? They look Thai.

3 hours ago, Remus1830 said:

The fact that you can be out enjoying yourself on holiday and you can be detained and piss checked drugs or no drugs is enough to make you want to holiday in a different country. By the way those tests show many false positives many tablets show up as meth etc. 

On the pretext of "clarity begins at home (sic)" I'd really like to see the silly BiB raid the minibus stops and piss test the drivers, likewise the taxi ranks at Suvi.

THAT would make an interesting story........

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

Was this raid last night? (Saturday) I thought no alcohol was being served this weekend. Over 100 people in a pub  at 3am with no alcohol? Wow! :rolleyes:

Maybe that's why they were doing drugs!  No alcohol = drugs as a substitute?:whistling:

Well back in the late sixties, if they raided the Marquee Club in London on a Saturday night and tested everyone for drugs I doubt anyone would have walked away clean.  Same goes for all the later punk gigs, raves, music festivals etc. etc.  My point is that drugs have been an integral part of the party scene in many western countries  for many, many years.  Different drugs maybe but still a big part of the culture. 

Archived