Dozens of tourists test positive for drugs at Samui pub raid

rooster59

2 hours ago, jobsworth said:

but not in the extra happy pizza next door. they were shocked when i asked.

they just keep the name without knowing what it means.

I was just there a few months ago.  Absolutely available!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This happened to a Thai I know at a mass roadside checkpoint (like they were stopping just about everyone). Tested positive for yabah. On the spot fine of 30,000 baht. He wasn't alone, people were piling up at the ATM. After some negotiation and a phone call, he got away with 20,000 cos he knew somebody who knew somebody.  I did see something on YouTube about a young Farang lady who got caught holding a small amount of weed for her boyfriend at one of the island parties. Same scenario, loads of people caught, 20,000 baht fine. She couldn't pay for some reason (forget the details) ended up in prison for a year. 

I do not believe this story ? The only people taking drugs were tourists ?

"KOH SAMUI:-- A raid by 50 soldiers and police at a well known Chaweng pub on Koh Samui netted almost three dozen tourists who had been taking drugs.

Out of about 100 patrons tested 32 returned the tell-tale purple urine test "

Yes sir ..yes indeed....another perfect example of misguided and questionable, what is the purpose?,  police work.

It is somewhat of a ongoing comedy show but not really entertaining any longer...just redundant and predictable.

Cheers 

4 hours ago, impulse said:

You and I haven't seen the world, nor Thailand, through the eyes of a tourist in years, if not decades.  

(Except when I go to Pattaya.  No matter how long I live in Thailand, I'll always feel the tourist down there)

A tourist spends 96% of his time living under one set of laws, then spends a couple of weeks under another.  We've grown accustomed to living here under these rules.  They never will.

I accept that what you wrote in respect of tourism is largely true, although I reject the notion that, as a longish term resident of Thailand, I and others like me are unable to discern whether a practice such as random drugs testing is right or wrong. Perhaps if I had been immersed in political correctness and human rights legislation for the past fifteen years I might feel that such tests were detrimental to my rights as a tax paying citizen, as things stand I don't and I think they're a good thing. Many other countries would almost certainly like to adopt a similar regime but can't, due mostly to prohibitive legislation whereby personal rights are infringed upon. Phooey to that I say.

5 hours ago, impulse said:

What about the guys who break the laws about hookers?   Or is that different?   TVF would be a ghost town if your suggestion were followed...

Edit:  And let's not forget the rules about drinking after hours, driving after drinking, riding without a helmet,  speeding, buying booze on Buddhist holidays, and on and on.  Deport 'em all?

Nonsense.  Any tourist stupid enough to go with an underage hooker and get caught, will be in all sorts of trouble.

1 hour ago, nausea said:

This happened to a Thai I know at a mass roadside checkpoint (like they were stopping just about everyone). Tested positive for yabah. On the spot fine of 30,000 baht. He wasn't alone, people were piling up at the ATM. After some negotiation and a phone call, he got away with 20,000 cos he knew somebody who knew somebody.  I did see something on YouTube about a young Farang lady who got caught holding a small amount of weed for her boyfriend at one of the island parties. Same scenario, loads of people caught, 20,000 baht fine. She couldn't pay for some reason (forget the details) ended up in prison for a year.

Perfect example of how the laws do not stop some people from continuing to try the illegal recreational drugs or continue taking the illegal recreational drugs.

The laws really do not work anywhere ...but here in Thailand the laws are enforced on and off not because the laws need to be enforced rather it is like a quick cash machine that just needs to be turned on for awhile...with all the flashing lights and bells and whistles and the media "bling, bling" included  ...and then turns itself off for awhile...lol

Cheers

5 minutes ago, impulse said:

Underage ain't the only illegal kind of hooker...

Going with an underage hooker (like taking illegal drugs) is illegal and the customer can expect trouble.  Going with a regular hooker won't get the customer into trouble if it's done privately.

13 hours ago, shirtless said:

Great job in ruining tourism , Thailand only knows how to shoot themselves in the feet.well done ars hats

All tourists were let out within 15 to 30 minutes – a little queue as the club was fairly packed Friday night, and foreigners had to be separated from locals – the majority of guest were Thais. The military, not local police force, raided shortly after 3 am, and at that time many of the tourists coming from other venues closing at 3 am, had hardly arrived. As mentioned in previous post, it was Sound Club, where many locals party out and tourist mainly come for so-called "after party".

The Thai visitors were all urine-tested – if the test turns positive, purple (I think), they are held back – the first was out at about 4 am, but drawing a high number in line, some were only let out about 8 am, it was reported in local news from a girl drawing number 400-something; I was lucky my GF had a 40'ies-number and out shortly after 4 am.

However, one Chinese guy seemed to have a huge problem, as he and his Chinese girlfriend did not bring their passports (recommended by Police not to take with you in the nightlife or at moon-parties), and as his girlfriend looked Thai, the soldiers held her back, and showed only him outside. He told me, that they had a booked flight out of Samui 7 am, and just wish some last partying before leaving. He was let inside again by the soldiers to join his girlfriend, I did not see them coming out of the main entrance before I left, but I hope they tested her quickly and showed them out of the back-exit, as all the others that tested negative.

The  Military has performed various check-up's at Samui during the past couple of month – like closing evening markets, earlier closing time for dance venues, moving restaurant's beach tables, and ordered signs to me be moved back, among others – but seem like many things get back to almost normal procedure within weeks.

However, from the articles text it sounds like, Sound unfurtunately is not late open on Monday...

Man made Booze...
Gods made Ganja appear on Eden/Earth...
Who do you trust?

(My life would be so much easier if my alcoholic khmer wife was smoking ganja instead of getting <deleted> up drunk, breaking all she can around her and running after me with the Big Knife for no reason! ...)

3 hours ago, ethaniel said:

The big question is:

Can a person refuse a drug test? Information differs from source to source.

It is an invasion of privacy after all. For example in my home country, I can refuse a drug test and walk away. 

The only reason to refuse a drug test is fear of a positive result.

16 hours ago, ethaniel said:

The big question is:

Can a person refuse a drug test? Information differs from source to source.

It is an invasion of privacy after all. For example in my home country, I can refuse a drug test and walk away. 

You can refuse from what I have read , but they then take that as a sign you are guilty so they can then take you to a hospital and make you to do a blood test. If you refuse the blood test Im sure they just charge you .:blink:

20 hours ago, tinom said:

Man made Booze...
Who do you trust?

(My life would be so much easier if my alcoholic khmer wife was smoking ganja instead of getting <deleted> up drunk, breaking all she can around her and running after me with the Big Knife for no reason! ...)

Certainly not you.  Ethyl alcohol (the stuff we drink) is produced during the putrefaction of carbohydrates like fruit and vegetables. It is a normal part of the diet of the herbivores and omnivores that consume such matter.

OTOH inhaling products of combustion laden with carcinogens is a really healthy choice.

On August 7, 2016 at 11:16 PM, tinom said:

Man made Booze...
Who do you trust?

Since God also saw it fit for children to be born with bone cancer for example i think i'd choose man made all day long.  

On 8/7/2016 at 10:58 AM, Remus1830 said:

The fact that you can be out enjoying yourself on holiday and you can be detained and piss checked drugs or no drugs is enough to make you want to holiday in a different country. By the way those tests show many false positives many tablets show up as meth etc. 

I would imagine even a strong dose of cough syrup would make those test positive as well. There are many over the counter drugs sold in the USA that can make a urine test positive. And they can take weeks to get it of your system completely. 

11 hours ago, JackThompson said:

I hear where you are coming from, but what purpose does this serve?  They said the 'in/out exempt' folks were working.  Ok, let's say that was true.  Add in pushing out the 'poor-bum' types, who cannot afford the longer runs and fees, the generation of visa-fee revenue, and to screen applicants. 

Those with "under the table" jobs cannot take several week-days off every 3 mo to make consulate-trips - nor pay for that on their salary.  They have the other bases covered.  I cannot fathom the "goal" of the new policy?  Who is being targeted, and why?

On 8/7/2016 at 10:58 AM, Remus1830 said:

The fact that you can be out enjoying yourself on holiday and you can be detained and piss checked drugs or no drugs is enough to make you want to holiday in a different country. By the way those tests show many false positives many tablets show up as meth etc. 

I would imagine even a strong dose of cough syrup would make those test positive as well. There are many over the counter drugs sold in the USA that can make a urine test positive. And they can take weeks to get it of your system completely. 

11 hours ago, JackThompson said:

I hear where you are coming from, but what purpose does this serve?  They said the 'in/out exempt' folks were working.  Ok, let's say that was true.  Add in pushing out the 'poor-bum' types, who cannot afford the longer runs and fees, the generation of visa-fee revenue, and to screen applicants. 

Those with "under the table" jobs cannot take several week-days off every 3 mo to make consulate-trips - nor pay for that on their salary.  They have the other bases covered.  I cannot fathom the "goal" of the new policy?  Who is being targeted, and why?

On 8/7/2016 at 7:32 AM, craigt3365 said:

Many years ago, I went to a late night pub in Samui.  I was amazed at them openly selling drugs.  And how many were on it.  Never went again.

I think of you go to any Pub they are openly selling drugs, it just happens that due to the amount of money the government makes by way of taxes, the drug Alcohol is legal.

12 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

Not sure why I was quoted in this thread. My post, quoted above, was from a thread on troubles folks are having entering the Kingdom while not violating any laws. 

If the authorities want to test me at the border, I will happily volunteer if it erases any concerns they might have.  They will find only caffeine, from my morning coffee.

23 hours ago, ronaldo0 said:

You can refuse from what I have read , but they then take that as a sign you are guilty so they can then take you to a hospital and make you to do a blood test. If you refuse the blood test Im sure they just charge you .:blink:

If you refuse to take a breath analyzer teat for DUI, you get charged for drunk driving, no further tests needed.

20 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

When I worked in Australia for a few years a breathalyzer test for alcohol was obligatory every morning before starting work.

Many people kept a bottle of Listorine handy as an excuse for blowing low "numbers". One had had to blow absolute zero to pass, three failures was a sacking offence.

On 8/7/2016 at 8:11 AM, borisloosebrain said:

Yeah I know but that's a religious thing isn't it ? Buddha didn't say thou shalt not puff in a shisha pipe (unless you're ordained). 

But it is only Muslims who cannot drink.  It is their bigoted attitudes not their religion which tries to prevent non-believers from buying, serving or drinking alcohol.  I have a number of Mormon friends who don't drink but keep beer at home for guests who do.  But then most other belief systems are not out to force their creed on the entire world.

On 8/7/2016 at 11:33 AM, puukao said:

if you took any drugs on purpose, banned for life after prison!!!

if you can prove you took it by accident........well, that is some bad luck because you are still doomed!!!

only once in Laos i saw a sign asking if you wanted something more in your drink......seemed pretty sketch

Even if those drugs are legal / de-criminalized in your home country. A number if countries have made marijuana legal for personal consumption. I think Italy is next up considering it. Should citizens of those countries be preemptively banned? 

Archived