Thai Subtitles in Android Box?

scooterboy

24 minutes ago, williewolf said:

Thanks. I tried your font on my laptop, works fine and took just a couple of minutes to install and see it working. The android box, well, still no joy. I am going to have one more crack at it today and if its no good b#lls to it, it has started to take over my life lol.

My box is a couple of years old and when the new version of kodi is released i think i may struggle even more.

I even tried editing the xml file but it would not let me , so i think something is rooted to the box. I have tried clearing everything from the box as far as i could but there is an old version of kodi still there

What is the exact problem with your box?

What box are you using.

Any Kodi installation can be removed by uninstalling in Android settings> apps.

It is not possible to have 2 version of kodi on one box, unless it is a minix and the other version is the minix modified xbmc, version

To copy and paste the fonts folder in to your .kodi>media folder you need Rootexplorer or ES Explorer, and have hiiden files enabled in the app. You can't do this with Android file explorer.

I'm nbot sure it makes a difference, but the folder should be named fonts, not FONTS or Fonts

Put the fonts folder with all te required fonts inside on a usb drive. Open Rootexplorer or ES Explorer and copy the fonts folder on your usb drive, then paste the folder into Root>sdcard>android>data>org.xbmc.kodi>files>.kodi>media

To edit an .xml file again you need one of the two apps mentioned above, then long press on the .xml file, and select open with text editor.

Edited by Berty100
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, williewolf said:

I even tried editing the xml file

Maybe the file system on the android box is mounted  read only ?     I have had that problem before  you copy files over  it looks like it worked  but  refresh the view files are not there,

Could also be permissions problems  but normally that throws an error up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Berty100 said:

What is the exact problem with your box?

What box are you using.

Any Kodi installation can be removed by uninstalling in Android settings> apps.

It is not possible to have 2 version of kodi on one box, unless it is a minix and the other version is the minix modified xbmc, version

To copy and paste the fonts folder in to your .kodi>media folder you need Rootexplorer or ES Explorer, and have hiiden files enabled in the app. You can't do this with Android file explorer.

I'm nbot sure it makes a difference, but the folder should be named fonts, not FONTS or Fonts

Put the fonts folder with all te required fonts inside on a usb drive. Open Rootexplorer or ES Explorer and copy the fonts folder on your usb drive, then paste the folder into Root>sdcard>android>data>org.xbmc.kodi>files>.kodi>media

To edit an .xml file again you need one of the two apps mentioned above, then long press on the .xml file, and select open with text editor.

The problem i have is i cannot get the choice of fonts to show in the subtitles menu, it just shows arial or teletext fonts.

I have re1installed kodi many times and after unistalling it it shows kodi helix ver 14 (although it will not open)

I have followed exactly the procedure you gave many times but the fonts dont show. If i power off the box when it restarts i cannot open kodi, thus having to re install it and go through the whole procedure again with the same results, so i am just going round in circles.

Now the interesting part, you asked what make the box was, well it just says "himedia" i dont remember the model number so i googled himedia and i think its h8. I came across a thread , himedia.ca. jarvis16, and it seems from that a lot of people have had trouble and there is a firmware upgrade to eliminate this.

The only thing with that is its close to the weekend and i like to watch the football and if i make any mistakes there will be no football!,

So i think i will leave it until monday and have a go then. If you have time would you care to look at the thread and give me your opinion please

Many thanks

Willie

14 minutes ago, johng said:

Maybe the file system on the android box is mounted  read only ?     I have had that problem before  you copy files over  it looks like it worked  but  refresh the view files are not there,

Could also be permissions problems  but normally that throws an error up.

Yes i think so, please see my reply to berty as well

23 minutes ago, williewolf said:

The problem i have is i cannot get the choice of fonts to show in the subtitles menu, it just shows arial or teletext fonts.

I have re1installed kodi many times and after unistalling it it shows kodi helix ver 14 (although it will not open)

I have followed exactly the procedure you gave many times but the fonts dont show. If i power off the box when it restarts i cannot open kodi, thus having to re install it and go through the whole procedure again with the same results, so i am just going round in circles.

Now the interesting part, you asked what make the box was, well it just says "himedia" i dont remember the model number so i googled himedia and i think its h8. I came across a thread , himedia.ca. jarvis16, and it seems from that a lot of people have had trouble and there is a firmware upgrade to eliminate this.

The only thing with that is its close to the weekend and i like to watch the football and if i make any mistakes there will be no football!,

So i think i will leave it until monday and have a go then. If you have time would you care to look at the thread and give me your opinion please

Many thanks

Willie

It is not possible that when installing any kodi version it shows as a different version. If it shows as Kodi 14, that mean that version is somewhere on your box and you have to uninstall it first.

Go to Android>setting> apps and try to locate that app in any of the sections, then uninstall it from there.

Failing to find it in the apps, you will have to use Rootexplorer or ES Explorer to manually locate the folder and delete it.

Anothwer option is to install SPMC from Playstore, as it is a fork of Kodi ( actually the exact same thing) and they can operate next to each other on the same box.

For the media folder in SPMC you select com.sempermax.spmc instead of org.xbmc.kodi

You should download either SPMC(old) or the new version, but in the latter case you have to go to settings>appearance>skin and change the skin to confluence.

Edited by Berty100
  • Like 1

Wow! Only been away a couple of days again - and a lot has been happening on this thread! :)

WW has problems with 2 Kodis on one box - wouldn't have thought that this was possible, but then again.... Good to see others have stepped in to help out - as that problem's rather out of my league at the moment. The spmc download seems like very good advice, though - and it wouldn't disturb WW's viewing things via his Kodi at all.

Thanks to Berty100 for the additional arial font, which I've downloaded. Haven't yet had any bother with JohnG's arial font - but should I have any troubles, then I'll install this new font and try again. It's always good to have a few choices.....:D

Happy viewing!

3 hours ago, Berty100 said:

It is not possible that when installing any kodi version it shows as a different version. If it shows as Kodi 14, that mean that version is somewhere on your box and you have to uninstall it first.

Go to Android>setting> apps and try to locate that app in any of the sections, then uninstall it from there.

Failing to find it in the apps, you will have to use Rootexplorer or ES Explorer to manually locate the folder and delete it.

Anothwer option is to install SPMC from Playstore, as it is a fork of Kodi ( actually the exact same thing) and they can operate next to each other on the same box.

For the media folder in SPMC you select com.sempermax.spmc instead of org.xbmc.kodi

You should download either SPMC(old) or the new version, but in the latter case you have to go to settings>appearance>skin and change the skin to confluence.

Update: I have installed spmc and exactly the same thing is happening, no choice of fonts in subtitles. The only thing is when I added them to spmc and restarted kodi it did not keep kicking me out. So now i have two kodi,xbmc & spmc, at least i can keep one version stable with a build on for viewing and mess about with the other one. I am now sure the problem lies within the box, so maybe its time to update it.

I think i will start a new thread on box reccomendations as a lot seems to have changed since my last purchase. Thanks again everyone for helping, at least I can now watch a movie with subtitles if i want on my laptop

14 hours ago, johng said:

@williewolf  Can you tell us the exact make and model of your Android box please.

Yes its a himedia q1. Bought it in the early days of kodi. It has always been a bit tempremental, but has served its purpose until now when i want to add fonts!!

:(

What box are you using? 

About 2 or 3 weeks ago I bought an MXQ 4K Android Box from Lazada (recommended by one of the TV moderators, I think). It works very well and I have no complaints whatsoever.

It came loaded with apps and Kodi - but easy to remove the unwanted things. Ordering and delivery very easy.

http://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=+MXQ+4K+Android+Box

Cheers

• Like 1

3 hours ago, williewolf said:

What box are you using? 

I'm using various things to run XBMC ( Kodi)

On My PC      ( with cretinous Cretaceous windows XP )

the original Xbox    still ticking but hardly ever use it now

TOT IPTV  generic  android box

Raspberry Pi for everyday viewing

• Like 1

5 hours ago, scooterboy said:

About 2 or 3 weeks ago I bought an MXQ 4K Android Box from Lazada (recommended by one of the TV moderators, I think). It works very well and I have no complaints whatsoever.

It came loaded with apps and Kodi - but easy to remove the unwanted things. Ordering and delivery very easy.

http://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=+MXQ+4K+Android+Box

Cheers

Yes i use lazada. The only thing with that box that i can see is that it only has 1gb ram , i was looking to upgrade to something with 2gb, thanks any way

• 5 months later...

From Lazada I ordered an Extreamer Whizz to play music and movies from HD. That was until I met Kodi, simply amazing. 

Thanks to you guys I am now able to use Thai subtitles. And a special thanks for the fonts. I had downloaded sonething from a website which probably was a Thai font. I didn't check. Twice I  changed the system  language in my box to Thai (squares) and had to do a fresh install each time ?

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, lelin said:

That's a good find, however I want to make people aware of SuperRepo.

If you decide to install this addon, first disable automatic updates in your Kodi system settings, the install the repo and addon.

When the addon is installed remove SuperRepo repository from your system RIGHT AWAY, then enable auto updates again.

The addon in itself doesn't need any updates obviously, as it is only a font, but SuperRepo is a real poison for your Kodi.

SR contains a hundreds of addons, which aren't theirs, and link for the updates to their own servers, instead of the repo from the original developer.

This mean that addons that are already installed on your system may receive old updates, in other words roll back, and stop working.

Been there, got the T-shirt.

• 1 month later...

Dragging this thread up again as I have a Thai font issue but it's  not quite the same.

I have quite a lot of music which has either Thai artist, song or album names in Thai language.  The music files are on an SMB share file.  When I access the files through Plex (not the Kodi app) it can produce the Thai fonts fine, as can iTunes if i look at the files through that.

Kodi however doesn't.  I just get a series of square (system incomprehensible) symbols where the Thai font characters should be.  I'm not sure what if anything I can do to allow Kodi to correctly display the Thai characters in this case.  I'm suspecting it's not an issue where the subtitle fonts being used would have any effect.  I'm assuming it's a system language thing but I don't want to change the whole system language to Thai, just want Kodi to be able to recognise the Thai characters in this case?  Not sure what I need to download or where, if anywhere, I can make any changes  :saai:

Edited by SooKee

THANKS!!!!  Jeez.  Spent hours trying to sort this out, figured there was some obscure thing I needed to do.  Found my way to Skin / Fonts and changed that from 'Skin Default' (Krypton / Estuary) to 'Arial Based'.  Now displaying fine :smile:

• 1 month later...
On 16/08/2016 at 7:28 AM, scooterboy said:

Sorry, been away for some time, so haven't followed this thread. OK - here we go :

FIRSTLY. download the (hopefully attached) "fonts" zip file and unzip it. You will need to transfer the unzipped fonts folder to a USB stick or SD-CARD. Make sure the USB/SD is inserted into your Android Box before you switch on.

1. If you're NOT using ES Fi;e Explorer, then install it - so that we're "talking" about the same things. Different explorers do different things in different ways - and tend to screw up any communication. You can uninstall ES later.

2. Start ES and allow ES to use your USB.

On the LEFT ES panel click on USB or SD-CARD1 and find the folder "fonts". Press on

the folder name for a few seconds until the bottom status line changes to COPY....etc.

Click on COPY.

On the LEFT ES panel click on HOME - not the FIRST HOME, but the one underneath. Now you have a list of files and folders on the screen. Click on "Android", then on "data".

3. Look for the folder "org.xbmc.kodi"
Click on this folder, then on "files", then on "kodi", then on "media".
This is where you have to place the "fonts" folder.
Click on the PASTE icon on the bottom status line. The folder will be inserted
so that you can see "fonts",  "SKINDEFAULT.jpg" and  "SPLASH.jpg"
in the "media" folder on the screen - nothing more.

4. Start KODI and click on SYSTEM, Video, Subtitles - and in "Font to use
for subtitles" you should now be able to choose from the arrow menu.
Choose ARIAL.ttf (YES - with capital letters!) - this is the same font you downloaded.
In "Languages to download subtitles for" choose English, Thai (and any other
languages you need).

5. Now you should be able to see any Thai subtitles.

IF this doesn't work the first time, then try closing down and starting KODI
again.

Hope it all goes off OK. :D

Cheers

fonts.zip

Hi, I know this is a very old thread so I don't know if this message will get seen...anyway wanted to say Thanks Scooterboy, followed these instructions to a t and it works perfectly, Thai missus happy = balls less broken, just need to find a way of adding more Thai Sub sites?  Seems not so many movies etc actually have Thai subs using Subscene etc 

Hi JJ120

Yes, your post WAS (finally) noticed - and great that it was of some help.

Due to certain "differences" with TV, I don't post any longer  (but with this one exception, of course).

It would be equally great if the Mods could arrange for the info this thread, in some form or other, to be a "pinned sticky", as many foreigners have or will have this subtitle problem - and it would certainly make things  much easier for them.

Thanks - and I must say that Jai Dee is certainly doing a great job on this sub-forum! Good onya!  :stoner:

Cheers

4 hours ago, scooterboy said:

It would be equally great if the Mods could arrange for the info this thread, in some form or other, to be a "pinned sticky", as many foreigners have or will have this subtitle problem - and it would certainly make things  much easier for them.

No problem.

:thumbsup:

Topic pinned.

On 02/06/2017 at 3:42 PM, Jai Dee said:

Have you tried opensubtitles.org?

Hi, yes got opensubtitles and subscene, it seems lots of recent animated movies have Thai subs but not so many recent studio movies actually have subtitles, even though the cinemas do? I've tried a few other subtitles sites within kodi but they don't have Thai. Anyway some is better than none. 

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm just back for a few seconds to say that I recently made a complete CLEAN install of Kodi 17.3, which meant using the information in this thread once again. Everything worked worked okay, though AFTER the ARIAL.ttf file has been installed (along with any other changes you may wish to make ) it now appears necessary to close down Kodi AND POWER OFF YOUR ANDROID BOX.  When you POWER UP and start Kodi again, the Thai Subs should work - they did for me, on 2 different brands of Android boxes, too. :smile:

Hopefully, this info can save any frustration as to why the Thai subs might not immediately appear correctly, after installing the ARIAL.ttf file.

Cheers

Here is a link to the ArialUnicode ttf file that you need to get perfect Thai font subtitles (as well as many other languages).

It's a 22MB file and you need to copy it to your Kodi/media/fonts directory.

• 3 years later...
On 7/9/2017 at 1:09 PM, Jai Dee said:

Here is a link to the ArialUnicode ttf file that you need to get perfect Thai font subtitles (as well as many other languages).

It's a 22MB file and you need to copy it to your Kodi/media/fonts directory.

wow,  talk about old threads .   but somehow i ended up here and lo and behold you seem to know

a lot  ( ru mak )  about these little android boxes .   I recently got a used one from someone which had been set up already ( a few "add ons"  but i use  Modbro ( sports)  and Scrubsv2 (movies, tv shows)  exclusively.    They work well  but sometimes speed issues with Modbro .........

my question is :   ah, now see that you are in Sattahip if profile is current.   hmmm   

well,   how would i go about finding an "expert"  on these contraptions (android)  here in CM if need arose ?    I have a TX6  box ........  but would move up if that is possible in the future

thanks......  anyone in CM  also welcome and appreciated if have info     

• 2 years later...
On 6/5/2017 at 10:58 AM, Jimmyjames120 said:

I've tried a few other subtitles sites within kodi but they don't have Thai.

FYI, take a look at website www.subtitlecat.com

It requires a bit of manual labor. After you've entered a title and actually uploaded .srt file contents, then actual contents can be translated to the language of your choice and generated .srt file can be downloaded manually. Not only includes Thai language, but many more. My advice is initially to take an English .srt file as source.

Theoretically, it should be possible to show Closed Caption subtitles. These subtitles function like a kind of sidecar and consists of a bunch of transparent bitmaps in png format (one for each subtitle) plus a few extra files describing a track of subtitles, all stored together in a zip-file. In that case font MS ArialUni would not be needed. Did some experiments, but haven't seen it working yet in the latest version of Kodi on android device Nvidea Shield Pro tv. I must be doing something wrong. Other approach with font MS ArialUni works well.