BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
scooterboy

Thai Subtitles in Android Box?

24 minutes ago, williewolf said:

Thanks. I tried your font on my laptop, works fine and took just a couple of minutes to install and see it working. The android box, well, still no joy. I am going to have one more crack at it today and if its no good b#lls to it, it has started to take over my life lol.

My box is a couple of years old and when the new version of kodi is released i think i may struggle even more.

I even tried editing the xml file but it would not let me , so i think something is rooted to the box. I have tried clearing everything from the box as far as i could but there is an old version of kodi still there

What is the exact problem with your box?

What box are you using.

Any Kodi installation can be removed by uninstalling in Android settings> apps.

It is not possible to have 2 version of kodi on one box, unless it is a minix and the other version is the minix modified xbmc, version

To copy and paste the fonts folder in to your .kodi>media folder you need Rootexplorer or ES Explorer, and have hiiden files enabled in the app. You can't do this with Android file explorer.

I'm nbot sure it makes a difference, but the folder should be named fonts, not FONTS or Fonts

Put the fonts folder with all te required fonts inside on a usb drive. Open Rootexplorer or ES Explorer and copy the fonts folder on your usb drive, then paste the folder into Root>sdcard>android>data>org.xbmc.kodi>files>.kodi>media

To edit an .xml file again you need one of the two apps mentioned above, then long press on the .xml file, and select open with text editor.

Edited by Berty100
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, williewolf said:

I even tried editing the xml file

Maybe the file system on the android box is mounted  read only ?     I have had that problem before  you copy files over  it looks like it worked  but  refresh the view files are not there,

Could also be permissions problems  but normally that throws an error up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Berty100 said:

What is the exact problem with your box?

What box are you using.

Any Kodi installation can be removed by uninstalling in Android settings> apps.

It is not possible to have 2 version of kodi on one box, unless it is a minix and the other version is the minix modified xbmc, version

To copy and paste the fonts folder in to your .kodi>media folder you need Rootexplorer or ES Explorer, and have hiiden files enabled in the app. You can't do this with Android file explorer.

I'm nbot sure it makes a difference, but the folder should be named fonts, not FONTS or Fonts

Put the fonts folder with all te required fonts inside on a usb drive. Open Rootexplorer or ES Explorer and copy the fonts folder on your usb drive, then paste the folder into Root>sdcard>android>data>org.xbmc.kodi>files>.kodi>media

To edit an .xml file again you need one of the two apps mentioned above, then long press on the .xml file, and select open with text editor.

The problem i have is i cannot get the choice of fonts to show in the subtitles menu, it just shows arial or teletext fonts.

I have re1installed kodi many times and after unistalling it it shows kodi helix ver 14 (although it will not open)

I have followed exactly the procedure you gave many times but the fonts dont show. If i power off the box when it restarts i cannot open kodi, thus having to re install it and go through the whole procedure again with the same results, so i am just going round in circles.

Now the interesting part, you asked what make the box was, well it just says "himedia" i dont remember the model number so i googled himedia and i think its h8. I came across a thread , himedia.ca. jarvis16, and it seems from that a lot of people have had trouble and there is a firmware upgrade to eliminate this.

The only thing with that is its close to the weekend and i like to watch the football and if i make any mistakes there will be no football!,

So i think i will leave it until monday and have a go then. If you have time would you care to look at the thread and give me your opinion please

Many thanks

Willie

14 minutes ago, johng said:

Maybe the file system on the android box is mounted  read only ?     I have had that problem before  you copy files over  it looks like it worked  but  refresh the view files are not there,

Could also be permissions problems  but normally that throws an error up.

Yes i think so, please see my reply to berty as well

23 minutes ago, williewolf said:

The problem i have is i cannot get the choice of fonts to show in the subtitles menu, it just shows arial or teletext fonts.

I have re1installed kodi many times and after unistalling it it shows kodi helix ver 14 (although it will not open)

I have followed exactly the procedure you gave many times but the fonts dont show. If i power off the box when it restarts i cannot open kodi, thus having to re install it and go through the whole procedure again with the same results, so i am just going round in circles.

Now the interesting part, you asked what make the box was, well it just says "himedia" i dont remember the model number so i googled himedia and i think its h8. I came across a thread , himedia.ca. jarvis16, and it seems from that a lot of people have had trouble and there is a firmware upgrade to eliminate this.

The only thing with that is its close to the weekend and i like to watch the football and if i make any mistakes there will be no football!,

So i think i will leave it until monday and have a go then. If you have time would you care to look at the thread and give me your opinion please

Many thanks

Willie

It is not possible that when installing any kodi version it shows as a different version. If it shows as Kodi 14, that mean that version is somewhere on your box and you have to uninstall it first.

Go to Android>setting> apps and try to locate that app in any of the sections, then uninstall it from there.

Failing to find it in the apps, you will have to use Rootexplorer or ES Explorer to manually locate the folder and delete it.

Anothwer option is to install SPMC from Playstore, as it is a fork of Kodi ( actually the exact same thing) and they can operate next to each other on the same box.

For the media folder in SPMC you select com.sempermax.spmc instead of org.xbmc.kodi

You should download either SPMC(old) or the new version, but in the latter case you have to go to settings>appearance>skin and change the skin to confluence.

Edited by Berty100
  • Like 1

Wow! Only been away a couple of days again - and a lot has been happening on this thread! :)

WW has problems with 2 Kodis on one box - wouldn't have thought that this was possible, but then again.... Good to see others have stepped in to help out - as that problem's rather out of my league at the moment. The spmc download seems like very good advice, though - and it wouldn't disturb WW's viewing things via his Kodi at all.

Thanks to Berty100 for the additional arial font, which I've downloaded. Haven't yet had any bother with JohnG's arial font - but should I have any troubles, then I'll install this new font and try again. It's always good to have a few choices.....:D

Happy viewing!

3 hours ago, Berty100 said:

It is not possible that when installing any kodi version it shows as a different version. If it shows as Kodi 14, that mean that version is somewhere on your box and you have to uninstall it first.

Go to Android>setting> apps and try to locate that app in any of the sections, then uninstall it from there.

Failing to find it in the apps, you will have to use Rootexplorer or ES Explorer to manually locate the folder and delete it.

Anothwer option is to install SPMC from Playstore, as it is a fork of Kodi ( actually the exact same thing) and they can operate next to each other on the same box.

For the media folder in SPMC you select com.sempermax.spmc instead of org.xbmc.kodi

You should download either SPMC(old) or the new version, but in the latter case you have to go to settings>appearance>skin and change the skin to confluence.

Update: I have installed spmc and exactly the same thing is happening, no choice of fonts in subtitles. The only thing is when I added them to spmc and restarted kodi it did not keep kicking me out. So now i have two kodi,xbmc & spmc, at least i can keep one version stable with a build on for viewing and mess about with the other one. I am now sure the problem lies within the box, so maybe its time to update it.

I think i will start a new thread on box reccomendations as a lot seems to have changed since my last purchase. Thanks again everyone for helping, at least I can now watch a movie with subtitles if i want on my laptop

@williewolf  Can you tell us the exact make and model of your Android box please.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, johng said:

@williewolf  Can you tell us the exact make and model of your Android box please.

Yes its a himedia q1. Bought it in the early days of kodi. It has always been a bit tempremental, but has served its purpose until now when i want to add fonts!!

:(

What box are you using? 

About 2 or 3 weeks ago I bought an MXQ 4K Android Box from Lazada (recommended by one of the TV moderators, I think). It works very well and I have no complaints whatsoever.

It came loaded with apps and Kodi - but easy to remove the unwanted things. Ordering and delivery very easy.

http://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=+MXQ+4K+Android+Box

Cheers

• Like 1

3 hours ago, williewolf said:

What box are you using? 

I'm using various things to run XBMC ( Kodi)

On My PC      ( with cretinous Cretaceous windows XP )

the original Xbox    still ticking but hardly ever use it now

TOT IPTV  generic  android box

Raspberry Pi for everyday viewing

• Like 1

5 hours ago, scooterboy said:

About 2 or 3 weeks ago I bought an MXQ 4K Android Box from Lazada (recommended by one of the TV moderators, I think). It works very well and I have no complaints whatsoever.

It came loaded with apps and Kodi - but easy to remove the unwanted things. Ordering and delivery very easy.

http://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=+MXQ+4K+Android+Box

Cheers

Yes i use lazada. The only thing with that box that i can see is that it only has 1gb ram , i was looking to upgrade to something with 2gb, thanks any way

From Lazada I ordered an Extreamer Whizz to play music and movies from HD. That was until I met Kodi, simply amazing. 

Thanks to you guys I am now able to use Thai subtitles. And a special thanks for the fonts. I had downloaded sonething from a website which probably was a Thai font. I didn't check. Twice I  changed the system  language in my box to Thai (squares) and had to do a fresh install each time ?

Great!! Always good when a thread can help others besides oneself - I've certainly made use of other peoples' threads and used the information therein.

Cheers - and happy viewing. :smile: