BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
scooterboy

Thai Subtitles in Android Box?

2 hours ago, lelin said:

That's a good find, however I want to make people aware of SuperRepo.

If you decide to install this addon, first disable automatic updates in your Kodi system settings, the install the repo and addon.

When the addon is installed remove SuperRepo repository from your system RIGHT AWAY, then enable auto updates again.

The addon in itself doesn't need any updates obviously, as it is only a font, but SuperRepo is a real poison for your Kodi.

SR contains a hundreds of addons, which aren't theirs, and link for the updates to their own servers, instead of the repo from the original developer.

This mean that addons that are already installed on your system may receive old updates, in other words roll back, and stop working.

Been there, got the T-shirt.

Dragging this thread up again as I have a Thai font issue but it's  not quite the same.

I have quite a lot of music which has either Thai artist, song or album names in Thai language.  The music files are on an SMB share file.  When I access the files through Plex (not the Kodi app) it can produce the Thai fonts fine, as can iTunes if i look at the files through that.

Kodi however doesn't.  I just get a series of square (system incomprehensible) symbols where the Thai font characters should be.  I'm not sure what if anything I can do to allow Kodi to correctly display the Thai characters in this case.  I'm suspecting it's not an issue where the subtitle fonts being used would have any effect.  I'm assuming it's a system language thing but I don't want to change the whole system language to Thai, just want Kodi to be able to recognise the Thai characters in this case?  Not sure what I need to download or where, if anywhere, I can make any changes  :saai:

Edited by SooKee

I think Kodi will still need Thai fonts installing (though maybe on latest versions they are pre installed ? ? )

Somewhere there will be a setting to change the Unicode encodings try UTF-8 or TIS-620

• Like 1

THANKS!!!!  Jeez.  Spent hours trying to sort this out, figured there was some obscure thing I needed to do.  Found my way to Skin / Fonts and changed that from 'Skin Default' (Krypton / Estuary) to 'Arial Based'.  Now displaying fine :smile:

On 16/08/2016 at 7:28 AM, scooterboy said:

Sorry, been away for some time, so haven't followed this thread. OK - here we go :

FIRSTLY. download the (hopefully attached) "fonts" zip file and unzip it. You will need to transfer the unzipped fonts folder to a USB stick or SD-CARD. Make sure the USB/SD is inserted into your Android Box before you switch on.

1. If you're NOT using ES Fi;e Explorer, then install it - so that we're "talking" about the same things. Different explorers do different things in different ways - and tend to screw up any communication. You can uninstall ES later.

2. Start ES and allow ES to use your USB.

On the LEFT ES panel click on USB or SD-CARD1 and find the folder "fonts". Press on

the folder name for a few seconds until the bottom status line changes to COPY....etc.

Click on COPY.

On the LEFT ES panel click on HOME - not the FIRST HOME, but the one underneath. Now you have a list of files and folders on the screen. Click on "Android", then on "data".

3. Look for the folder "org.xbmc.kodi"
Click on this folder, then on "files", then on "kodi", then on "media".
This is where you have to place the "fonts" folder.
Click on the PASTE icon on the bottom status line. The folder will be inserted
so that you can see "fonts",  "SKINDEFAULT.jpg" and  "SPLASH.jpg"
in the "media" folder on the screen - nothing more.

4. Start KODI and click on SYSTEM, Video, Subtitles - and in "Font to use
for subtitles" you should now be able to choose from the arrow menu.
Choose ARIAL.ttf (YES - with capital letters!) - this is the same font you downloaded.
In "Languages to download subtitles for" choose English, Thai (and any other
languages you need).

5. Now you should be able to see any Thai subtitles.

IF this doesn't work the first time, then try closing down and starting KODI
again.

Hope it all goes off OK. :D

Cheers

fonts.zip

Hi, I know this is a very old thread so I don't know if this message will get seen...anyway wanted to say Thanks Scooterboy, followed these instructions to a t and it works perfectly, Thai missus happy = balls less broken, just need to find a way of adding more Thai Sub sites?  Seems not so many movies etc actually have Thai subs using Subscene etc 

Hi JJ120

Yes, your post WAS (finally) noticed - and great that it was of some help.

Due to certain "differences" with TV, I don't post any longer  (but with this one exception, of course).

It would be equally great if the Mods could arrange for the info this thread, in some form or other, to be a "pinned sticky", as many foreigners have or will have this subtitle problem - and it would certainly make things  much easier for them.

Thanks - and I must say that Jai Dee is certainly doing a great job on this sub-forum! Good onya!  :stoner:

Cheers

4 hours ago, scooterboy said:

It would be equally great if the Mods could arrange for the info this thread, in some form or other, to be a "pinned sticky", as many foreigners have or will have this subtitle problem - and it would certainly make things  much easier for them.

No problem.

:thumbsup:

Topic pinned.

On 02/06/2017 at 3:42 PM, Jai Dee said:

Have you tried opensubtitles.org?

Hi, yes got opensubtitles and subscene, it seems lots of recent animated movies have Thai subs but not so many recent studio movies actually have subtitles, even though the cinemas do? I've tried a few other subtitles sites within kodi but they don't have Thai. Anyway some is better than none. 

Well, I'm just back for a few seconds to say that I recently made a complete CLEAN install of Kodi 17.3, which meant using the information in this thread once again. Everything worked worked okay, though AFTER the ARIAL.ttf file has been installed (along with any other changes you may wish to make ) it now appears necessary to close down Kodi AND POWER OFF YOUR ANDROID BOX.  When you POWER UP and start Kodi again, the Thai Subs should work - they did for me, on 2 different brands of Android boxes, too. :smile:

Hopefully, this info can save any frustration as to why the Thai subs might not immediately appear correctly, after installing the ARIAL.ttf file.

Cheers

Here is a link to the ArialUnicode ttf file that you need to get perfect Thai font subtitles (as well as many other languages).

It's a 22MB file and you need to copy it to your Kodi/media/fonts directory.