Thailand tourist police to have 825 more officers in major upgrade

webfact

Thailand tourist police to have 825 more officers in major upgrade

a2.jpg

Image: Thairath

BANGKOK:-- The tourist police in Thailand have announced they are to increase in number by 825.

The current number of 900 officers nationwide is seen as much too few as some 15 million visitors pour into the kingdom annually, reported Thairath.

Chief Surachet Hakpan said that officers would be chosen based on knowledge of police procedures in general, language ability and compatibility with tourists.

He felt sure that the increased force would help to add efficiency to the service and lower the crime rate. He said that by creating increased confidence among tourists the country would get more return visitors and more money would flow into the economy.

Officers have been chosen on the ability to speak Chinese, English and French in particular and many have already stepped up for the selection process, he said.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-10

How will more tourist police decrease crime rates? I thought their main function was to assist foreigners who have had crimes committed against them i.e. AFTER the fact. The RTP should be preventing the crimes from happening in the first place. :coffee1:

26 minutes ago, SABloke said:

How will more tourist police decrease crime rates? I thought their main function was to assist foreigners who have had crimes committed against them i.e. AFTER the fact. The RTP should be preventing the crimes from happening in the first place:coffee1:

Apparently there has been some hold up on the delivery of the time machines......but they should all be in place next month, when the police can then stop the crime before it happens in  the first place...........:coffee1:

2 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

Apparently there has been some hold up on the delivery of the time machines......but they should all be in place next month, when the police can then stop the crime before it happens in  the first place...........:coffee1:

Ummm, do you know how effective police forces work? They patrol, they're visible, they enforce rules and regulations. These actions desuade people from committing crimes...duh. Do you think you're more likely to get attacked on a corner standing next to 2 policemen or one without?:coffee1:

1 hour ago, Somtamnication said:

I fail to see the need of two pics of the same guy. :blink:

We don't need more police. We need more police enforcing rules such as traffic. :thumbsup:

Well, one photo shows his friendly face and the other a more serious business like face, what great credentials he has, he will make Chief of Police one day

How will more tourist police decrease crime rates? ---SAbloke

Ummm, do you know how effective police forces work? They patrol, they're visible, --SABloke

Maybe...you like to review your 2 (opposing ) statements..........& pick which one you would prefer, .......Why do we need more police------or don't you know "Duh" less chance of crime if more police on every corner...............:coffee1:

31 minutes ago, dougieboy said:

Well, one photo shows his friendly face and the other a more serious business like face, what great credentials he has, he will make Chief of Police one day

And he's got parachute wings too  !

I see them nearly everyday on Sukhumvit BKK lurking about in certain areas waiting for the unsuspecting tourist to drop some litter or a tab end on the floor then they pounce (which I can agree with).  But then the Thai on his scooter/moped comes zooming past on the pavement and no one (tourist police) bats an eyelid.

"...The current number of 900 officers nationwide is seen as much too few as some 15 million visitors pour into the kingdom annually, reported Thairath..."

Based on this statement, 825 will certainly not be enough, as we are actually expecting 30 million visitors this year - already had 16.6 million in the first six months (TAT figures - http://www.tourism.go.th/home/listcontent/11/221/276).

Even with the bolstered numbers, 1,725 tourist police for 30 million visitors equates to just one "officer" per 17,400 tourists! Meanwhile, we are told that the RTP employs between 210,700 and 230,000 officers, so in a population of around 69 million people, this equates to roughly one officer per 314 Thais.

24 minutes ago, Caps said:

I see them nearly everyday on Sukhumvit BKK lurking about in certain areas waiting for the unsuspecting tourist to drop some litter or a tab end on the floor then they pounce (which I can agree with).  But then the Thai on his scooter/moped comes zooming past on the pavement and no one (tourist police) bats an eyelid.

Not sure if I am using the right word here, but aren't the uniformed men that hassle tourists for things like dropping a cigarette, called "tessaban" police (employed by the BMA) ?

I don't think that is the role of the tourist police.

1 hour ago, oxo1947 said:

Is that the upgraded GS200 time machines, that were originally only bomb detectors?

3 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

I fail to see the need of two pics of the same guy. :blink:

We don't need more police. We need more police enforcing rules such as traffic. :thumbsup:

that is how they are doubling the force. just taking a photo of each office from 2 different angles. apparently no one answers their phone number when you call it any way. it was possible all the staff manning that hotline were moved to the hotline to call when your hotel is about to call down. 

24 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Not sure if I am using the right word here, but aren't the uniformed men that hassle tourists for things like dropping a cigarette, called "tessaban" police (employed by the BMA) ?

I don't think that is the role of the tourist police.

friend of mine was in bangkok. he finished his cigarette and asked a thai guy where to put the butt. the thai guy shrugged his shoulders so he threw it down a sewer vent. the same guy then demanded a 2000thb fine. my friend said he disposed of down the sewer and the guy said 10 000thb for polluting the waterway. my friend quickly paid the 2000thb and got on his way.

16 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

friend of mine was in bangkok. he finished his cigarette and asked a thai guy where to put the butt. the thai guy shrugged his shoulders so he threw it down a sewer vent. the same guy then demanded a 2000thb fine. my friend said he disposed of down the sewer and the guy said 10 000thb for polluting the waterway. my friend quickly paid the 2000thb and got on his way.

I assume that the "thai guy" who relieved your friend of B2000 was in some kind of uniform and can we assume your friend did not stop to ask for a receipt? Easy money.

2 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

I assume that the "thai guy" who relieved your friend of B2000 was in some kind of uniform and can we assume your friend did not stop to ask for a receipt? Easy money.

no uniform just some sort of badge. he was with one other guy who i guess was there for backup. think he got a receipt but i would have to ask him. wonder what would have happened if he just walked away. things gan get expensive if you end up in a police station. 2000thb is the maximum fine for littering in thailand

Archived