Thailand tourist police to have 825 more officers in major upgrade

webfact

1 hour ago, freebyrd said:

Perhaps he's the only one who can speak reasonable English?

Allegedly they have some English speaking Tourist Police in Bkk areas.

Only a few TP's where l live manage a few English words.

1 hour ago, Caps said:

I see them nearly everyday on Sukhumvit BKK lurking about in certain areas waiting for the unsuspecting tourist to drop some litter or a tab end on the floor then they pounce (which I can agree with).  But then the Thai on his scooter/moped comes zooming past on the pavement and no one (tourist police) bats an eyelid.

" Tourist police are uniformed personnel who lack police powers and are largely responsible for writing out reports for insurance companies for victims of theft. In more serious cases, they will translate reports to be passed on to the regular police in Bangkok."  :)

1 hour ago, ratcatcher said:

Not sure if I am using the right word here, but aren't the uniformed men that hassle tourists for things like dropping a cigarette, called "tessaban" police (employed by the BMA) ?

I don't think that is the role of the tourist police.

If thats the case I stand corrected 

51 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

" Tourist police are uniformed personnel who lack police powers and are largely responsible for writing out reports for insurance companies for victims of theft. In more serious cases, they will translate reports to be passed on to the regular police in Bangkok."  :)

Tourist police have full police powers.

3 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

Maybe...you like to review your 2 (opposing ) statements..........& pick which one you would prefer, .......Why do we need more police------or don't you know "Duh" less chance of crime if more police on every corner...............:coffee1:

Nothing opposing about my statements: My point is we've got 300 000 normal RTP officers already that should be doing their jobs. 800 Tourist Police officers who do not perform patrol duties and have limited police power will not help.

They could put 1 million more police on it won't make any difference.  Most officers won't work or do the job they are paid to do unless you pay them out of your own pocket.  The only thing they are good for is fining people with no helmets and we could get the school kids to do that.    

5 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

I fail to see the need of two pics of the same guy. :blink:

We don't need more police. We need more police enforcing rules such as traffic. :thumbsup:

I wonder if any will be stationed outside of Bangkok? Does the hinterland get any?

3 hours ago, Caps said:

I see them nearly everyday on Sukhumvit BKK lurking about in certain areas waiting for the unsuspecting tourist to drop some litter or a tab end on the floor then they pounce (which I can agree with).  But then the Thai on his scooter/moped comes zooming past on the pavement and no one (tourist police) bats an eyelid.

You don't see Tourist Police doing that, those are BMA officers, not police.

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Nonsense, Tourist Police are normal members of the RTP with exactly the same powers as the rest of the police.

2 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Wasn't the head of the foreign volunteers a criminal on the run himself? Drugs or something?

You know in Thailand if it is a foreigner in a uniform they are hiding something. 

Personally, I don't care about the 'Head of foreign volunteers' - he's just another corrupt person that we are unlikely to be unfortunate enough to meet.

I'm just wondering how we recognise tourist police and where they are to be found?

5 hours ago, SABloke said:

Ummm, do you know how effective police forces work? They patrol, they're visible, they enforce rules and regulations. These actions desuade people from committing crimes...duh. Do you think you're more likely to get attacked on a corner standing next to 2 policemen or one without?:coffee1:

Funny you should say that, not long ago a cops friend was selling drugs behind the police box, at the end of soi bangla, then notifing his cop mates, who apprehended the buyer, they then extorted funds from the buyer, so, anything is possible.

5 hours ago, SABloke said:

Ummm, do you know how effective police forces work? They patrol, they're visible, they enforce rules and regulations. These actions desuade people from committing crimes...duh. Do you think you're more likely to get attacked on a corner standing next to 2 policemen or one without?:coffee1:

Here, you may get attacked by those 2 policemen you're standing next to, because they may or may not be real police, or they may be police on the take like so many of them are. Flip a coin.

yes , before being a officer of Thai law they had to complete a 48 hour crash course in buying and wearing skin tight shirts and pants along with learning a few foreign words , pass/port , paper's , over-stay  .

6 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

l refer to my post before  " Where'd it say dat. " :blink:

In the same place that it says that one police officer has the same powers as every other, where that is I've no idea but that doesn't mean Tourist Police who work in a division of RTP lack any powers.

By the way, Tourist Police are not Police Volunteers, you do know that, don't you?

19 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

In the same place that it says that one police officer has the same powers as every other, where that is I've no idea but that doesn't mean Tourist Police who work in a division of RTP lack any powers.

By the way, Tourist Police are not Police Volunteers, you do know that, don't you?

Oh for h'ell sake so show me where this place is where does it say Thai TP are the same as the RTP l have been sitting with a RTP highway policeman this evening and he laughed so what do you know he doesn't. 

So you know everything about Thai policing yes. ?

7 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Oh for h'ell sake so show me where this place is where does it say Thai TP are the same as the RTP l have been sitting with a RTP highway policeman this evening and he laughed so what do you know he doesn't. 

So you know everything about Thai policing yes. ?

Told you, I don't know where "it says that" but it doesn't matter where.  It's a fact.

Either you are lying about your evening with the officer, or you really don't know the difference between Tourist Police and Police Volunteers and didn't explain to him what you were referring to properly.

19 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

Told you, I don't know where "it says that" but it doesn't matter where.  It's a fact.

Either you are lying about your evening with the officer, or you really don't know the difference between Tourist Police and Police Volunteers and didn't explain to him what you were referring to properly.

You don't know where :lol:  So your talking off the top of your head and you knowing so much about Thai policing and say l'm lying OK;  This is getting silly this thread is about the duties of Thai Tourist Police where have l been referring to Police Volunteers that's a different kettle of fish duh. :blink: 

18 hours ago, SABloke said:

Honestly, I'm not sure.

1 hour ago, whaleboneman said:

Honestly, I'm not sure.

Me neither, i've been approached by gangs several times, it was right infront of a policebooth at the mbk and they saw it happening but didn't do anything.

I would prefer the streetcorner without any policemen....

Also i can't remember that i have ever seen touristpolice in any other country than thailand.

Archived