Nikon P900 feedback

I am not a photographer but I really do enjoy what comes out from other posters here. I am looking for an entry level camera, and the Nikon p900 seems like a good one to go for. With 83x zoom, why not?  There is no RAW, but do I really need it for fun photography (as opposed to professional photography).

The Canon S60 (I think) is its competitor.

The 2000 mm zoom is insane man, he-he, it's more a statement from Nikon than anything else, not much you can use that zoom range for other than, well as you said having fun.

If you want a bridge camera that takes very good IQ shoots, try getting one with 1" sensor, more and more of those hit the market. The Panasonic FZ1000 as an eksample cost app 200$ more but only go to 400mm, which in 97% of the cases is more than enough and have 1" sensor. New Nikon 1" sensor bridge zoom to 500mm will soon launch, app 1000$.  

I will say, no you don't need RAW for fun photography but it is nice to have if you need it one day as the RAW capture all what the sensor records and you have more options in post.

If I ever manage to go on a dream trekking trip to Himalaya, I will for sure shoot RAW+ JPEG. 

1 hour ago, Somtamnication said:

Fractured, I saw that video before. Super video. There is one where Saturn can be seen.

Goompa, no idea what that is about. Care to specify or leave us hanging?

I would like to know too?

Another one from the moon with the P900, but they are cheating using digital zoom (which you can do on a pc as well)

http://hellogiggles.com/camera-can-literally-zoom-surface-moon-obviously-want-one/

To be fair I guess I would call it an entry level camera , just really a big point and shoot with some user controls . I was enticed by the spin when I bought it 12 months or so ago , just I suppose it does not fit my type of shooting.

I suppose the main concern I have is that not having the capability to shoot in Raw is the biggest pitfall , the rest is a personal opinion , but considering the price I would say it is for the individual to consider.

Jpeg out of camera 15mm

DSCN0633.JPG

Slight crop and auto process Lr

DSCN0633-3.jpg

Jpeg ooc 28.5mm

DSCN0655.JPG

Auto Lr

DSCN0655-3.jpg

Hi SN,

Maybe not of a great help but...

I have no idea about the Canon P900, and I'm new to digital photography (but "old" to film photography :P). And if I'm not wrong the Canon P900 brand new is about US$500 (from Amazon)...

Why don't you search for a nice and good second hand camera? After 3 or 4 years, digital cameras tend to depreciate a lot, and for much less than US$500 you may get a real gem.

Perfomances wise, they are still up to date, though less "refined" if I may say.

Many for sale around, up to your taste...

For example, 2 months ago I was able to get a 3 year old Olympus OMD E-M5 with its 12-50 Zuiko lens kit (mint full kit and accessories in original box) for 13000 Bahts in AV-Camera in BKK (about US$370 today).

(I don't say here you have to go Olympus. I'm not this kind of guy and many brands are excellent. Just an example as a real fact...)

Well, just my idea about first steps into something...

Cheers,

Ray

2000mm is overkill, I doubt would really be of any great use for you other than spying on people from afar IMO.

I just hooked up a lens @ 630mm for the 1st time on a pro grade sturdy tripod and to get a shot that was acceptable I had to trigger the shutter via timer. (Bear in mind no in camera image stabilization)

Lord knows what 2000mm would be like, IMO probably a waste of time, I could be wrong though.

Theres so many decent cameras on the market these days from many different manufacturers, the best one is the one you have with you, also one that suits your needs best.

Sacrificing the extra zoom for low light might abilities maybe a better alternative for you, maybe not, once you get into it more you might want better image quality and a system with interchangeable lenses, maybe not, you might want something smaller and more discrete, maybe not.

Theres so many options, but like gobs said you can save some money getting used/refurbed stuff from someone reputable.

Like gobs said above I dont want to reccomend a certain brand etc... but a small little thing like a sony RX100 is capable of pulling off some great photography,  your more likely to have it on you more often than something bulky too.

If you ever seen DAL's older photos thats what he used, but theres equal equivalents from all the manufacturers.

Anyway, i'll shut up and stop boring people.....

I echo the buy 2nd hand option, you can get a real good deal sometimes, AV camera & Ebay.

Yes the smaller cameras with 1" sensor are more likely to go with you when out and about, I use my rx100 mk3 a lot, it sits in a belt-bag next to my phone.

5 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Thanks all for the posts. The digital zoom will be pixelated. What about the optical zoom at the same location, Goom?

Hey Som,

Full optical OOC jpeg same location , bare  bear in mind across water as well.

I use the P900 now for a documentation cam for work , use min file size for uploads and have incessant white balance issues with it.

Not a great unit for indoor work at all and flash is not a great idea either .. bla .. bla .. anyway , leave it up to your decision.

Cheers

Photo:

I guess 6 kms might be a bit of an understatement , I have tried the " bird watching" feature ... it's fair , only just .

I can't say about the P900, except I at some point thought of buying one. Therefore Goomp's experiences are golden to hear.

What I can say, what is the difference between m4/3 cameras and the super zoom cameras. I have both (my Olympus is no longer starting and I guess requires service). 

For me, the super zoom camera I have, Canon SX50 has been the most fun and practical camera I have ever owned. This might be as I have never owned a DSLR cameras, so I might not understand what the image quality really is, compared to the people who know. SX50 takes RAW photos and thus allows much more post processing magic with Lightroom and other tools. 

The superzoom camera have teached me to 'see' the air. It's virtually impossible to take a decent photo with distance more than 3km as the air is thick and full of moisture here in tropics. When zooming out to the moon, the atmospheric air thickness reduces fast. There is a reason why all the telescopes are up in the mountains. 

For me it's super cool to be able to see and take photographs of the craters of the Moon and the four largest moons of Jupiter, with my little camera I carry on my backpack every day. 

My next camera is most likely to be another superzoon camera. Mostly because they are the fun of photography for me. Others might value image quality, faster shutter times etc more. 

Superzoom cameras can even take photos of the Sun sports as they occure on the sun 
22594770542_20de92d4b5_z.jpg

Oilinki's camera has been upgraded to the SX60, with wifi and nfc, two things that I like with the Nikon p900. 63x zoom for the SX 60 is super, as well. Both have apps.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/cameras/point-and-shoot/long-zoom-cameras/powershot-sx60-hs

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/coolpix/p/p900/

Yes sure you can do serious editing in raw compared to jpegs.

Check reviews carefully for the camera you are interested in, some takes very good jpegs and makes raws unnecessary in many cases.

But again it all depends on the photographer, some likes the post processing and some not so much.

The main thing is that you have fun no matter if you shoot raw or not and oilinki says he has most fun with his bridge camera and find it practical, soo.

The SX60 is fairy cheap at around 400$ and no 4 in below comparison test of super zooms.

http://www.techradar.com/news/photography-video-capture/cameras/best-bridge-camera-1259503 

Theres a lot of good stuff about raw somtam....(not the food)

You dont need to be an expert in editing either, anything your camera got wrong or a setting was wrong other than shutter speed, ISO and aperture can be changed later.

Take a great shot and colour balance is wrong click a button fixed...etc

Even for fun photography, I think you'lll appreciate the capabilities of raw

Archived