Father run over, killed, in front of wife and kids in Phuket

webfact

Father run over, killed, in front of wife and kids

Phuket Gazette 

fa.jpeg          

The father of two was run over and killed in front of his wife and children while crossing the road to shop at 7-Eleven. Photo: Winai Sarot

PHUKET: -- A father of two on holiday with his family was run over and killed in front of his wife and children while crossing Thepkassattri Road during a stop-off to shop at 7-Eleven late last night.

The 54-year-old man, identified as Shengbin Lu, was part of a group of Chinese tourists on their way to Phuket Airport to fly home after being picked up from their hotel in Patong.

The fatal collision occurred around 11pm on the southbound carriageway of Thepkassattri Road in Baan Muang Mai, north of central Thalang, after the bus driver pulled over on the northbound carriageway so the tourists could cross the road to the PTT gas station on the southbound side, where the 7-Eleven store is located, Thalang Police Lt Sanich Nookong told the Gazette last night. 

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Father-run-killed-front-wife-kids/65368?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2016-08-10

Good god, how fast does a vehicle have to be speeding to kill a grown man on impact?

Certainly alcohol involved and video will provide a plate number but driver will turn himself in tomorrow after he has sobered up. 

Poor kids...the only reason for this tragedy is because this place is a complete free-for-all.

8 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Good god, how fast does a vehicle have to be speeding to kill a grown man on impact?

Certainly alcohol involved and video will provide a plate number but driver will turn himself in tomorrow after he has sobered up. 

Poor kids...the only reason for this tragedy is because this place is a complete free-for-all.

What are you talking about .... the car driver was charged ...

Read the entire story ... there is even a photo of the car at the scene of the accident.

11 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Free for all?  An idiot bus driver stopped on the wrong side of a busy dual carriageway for people to go shopping. Its not as if there aren't enough 7-11s heading north is it? 

The poor individual stepped out either from in front or in back (based on where the door is, the front is more likely) and gets clipped by a vehicle- you don't know how he landed.  You assume alcohol involves- where is your proof?

A vehicle travelling at anywhere near or above 'normal' speed would be hard pressed to stop if someone darts in front of them- I have to hit my brakes around 10 times each journey I make due to pedestrians showing no road sense.

Read the full article and save the histrionics for those that warrant it. The reason for this sad death is down to the bus driver doing something stupid.

Although charged Mr Pallop may not be prosecuted if he is not found to be at fault once the facts are better known.

The bus company should be prosecuted for negligence for allowing the stop in the first place.

20 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

So a car driver hits a man crossing the road in front of him, at a place where I'd guess the average speed is 90 k/h. It is a four lane, divided road there.

But now alcohol mist be involved?

The driver was there, but still he will turn himself in tomorrow?

It may be a good idea to look at the buscompany, having their customers cross a 4 lane road to buy some snacks is not a good and safe idea.

Psimbo,

How many drivers have not had alcohol by 11:00 at night ? 

So you have determined the driver is not culpable and the deceased "darted" in front of the car and the road was "busy".

I didn't read those points in the article...could you highlight those section for me sport?

Thanks

35 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Read the entire story ... there is even a photo of the car at the scene of the accident.

LiK,

Alright, next time I will read the entire article  ;-)

1 minute ago, Kru Baa said:

When will people learn, the LOS is not a family holiday destination? There's nothing safe about the place.

When will people learn that any family holiday destination can be un safe by stupid actions

There should be some sort of leaflets that could be dealt out on the airport with pictures of dead bodies so everyone understaznd Thailand is not like home when it comes to the dangerous  traffic and number of accidents . 

1 hour ago, Psimbo said:

The poor individual stepped out either from in front or in back (based on where the door is, the front is more likely) and gets clipped by a vehicle- you don't know how he landed.  You assume alcohol involves- where is your proof?

Maybe you too should read the news report. Nothig to do with exiting the bus. He was clipped crossing the main road as he was straggling behind the main group.

For sure the bus driver should have found a 7-11 on the north bound side of the dual highway.

2 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

the only reason for this tragedy is because this place is a complete free-for-all. I comfirm.

...since when...again...is it considered 'a collision' when a pedestrian of plowed down by a vehicle ....???

....and since when should we allow such insensitivity in this forum...based on race....???

..."Never mind, he was Chinese, so many of them"....???

...not cool.....

Personally, driving around Pattaya & Jomtien beaches, I regularly have to avoid Chinese tourists who forget or are not aware that we drive on the opposite side from China, so they're looking the other way as they cross. It's surprising there's not more accidents actually.

A sad ending to a family holiday in this case whatever was to blame.

4 minutes ago, barkly313 said:

Personally, driving around Pattaya & Jomtien beaches, I regularly have to avoid Chinese tourists who forget or are not aware that we drive on the opposite side from China, so they're looking the other way as they cross. It's surprising there's not more accidents actually.

A sad ending to a family holiday in this case whatever was to blame.

I have to say that everyday here in Phuket I see Chinese visitors doing stupid actions on main roads, often have no regard to speeding traffic. Just yesterday a younger lady was stood on the road at a busy narrow junction gazing at her smart phone for quite a while until she jumped when a car tooted.

I am very sorry to hear about this tragedy, however Chinese tourists are the dumbest tourists I have ever seen.

They think nothing about walking across a road with buses and cars etc flying towards them, they do not give the vehicles hardly any time to brake and then cross the roads with there eyes shut, talk about stupid!

40 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

I have to say that everyday here in Phuket I see Chinese visitors doing stupid actions on main roads, often have no regard to speeding traffic. Just yesterday a younger lady was stood on the road at a busy narrow junction gazing at her smart phone for quite a while until she jumped when a car tooted.

+1

It would be the savest way for this tour tourists and also for all residents here on phuket, when they open the doors of their tour buses only 2 times. First time when they arrive at the airport and second time when they leave at the airport. Safety first!

Yesterday just missed a Chinese tourist man who walked out backwards into the road without looking for cars or bikes, and just crouched down to take a photo of his girlfriend... my wing mirror just clipped his shoulder!!!!  I see them cycling down the wrong side of the road into oncoming traffic, walking down busy main roads in the middle with their suitcases and bags on the way to their hotel, and many many times just walking right out into traffic while looking back talking to friends. 

Tour companies need to make sure they stop busses at safe places away from main roads... and also warn the tourists about crossing roads... like kids at school. 

I am the first to admit i am not a fan of Chinese Tourists, and I think he probably did look the wrong way, However, you have to feel for his Wife and Children. Blame must lay squarely with the bus driver, and his Company....Why on earth would anyone consider it safe to stop on a main highway like that? Would a barrier along the central reservation not discourage the practice?

It doesn't matter that he was chinese or not. It's about people walk crazy on a highway without take care.

I'm sorry for the loss of this family but who cares about the driver?

He also suffer a lifetime nightmare because some one else not took care and he can't avoid this accident.

Same happened to a friend of mine and he was never more the same guy after his accident which was clearly not his fault.

I wonder how patient the victim was about crossing the road

Iv'e seen many people just barge out into the traffic and expect drivers to stop for them

Maybe some blame should go to the bus driver for not taking the time to do a u turn so all the passengers would be safe

8 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Free for all?  An idiot bus driver stopped on the wrong side of a busy dual carriageway for people to go shopping. Its not as if there aren't enough 7-11s heading north is it? 

A vehicle travelling at anywhere near or above 'normal' speed would be hard pressed to stop if someone darts in front of them- I have to hit my brakes around 10 times each journey I make due to pedestrians showing no road sense.

Read the full article and save the histrionics for those that warrant it. The reason for this sad death is down to the bus driver doing something stupid.

Although charged Mr Pallop may not be prosecuted if he is not found to be at fault once the facts are better known.

The bus company should be prosecuted for negligence for allowing the stop in the first place.

Why blame the bus driver?   He stopped by the side of the road so that passengers could go shopping, nothing wrong with that and he certainly wasn't negligent. 

The passengers who chose to cross the road in front of oncoming traffic with one lagging behind (the victim) are more negligent.

Archived