Father run over, killed, in front of wife and kids in Phuket

webfact

Police said they have so far not pressed any charges against the bus driver while they investigate the extent of the bus company's insurance coverage with regard to any compensation to Mr Lu’s family for his death

Wait, now pressing charges depends on insurance coverage for the family of a deceased person?

It's always about the money. Justice my a55...

But in any case I'd say at least part of the blame is on the dead man. You don't blindly run over main roads like this especially when dark. The car didn't just appear from around the corner. It's not racist when people notice that many Chinese cross roads or walk along them without any regard for motorized traffic. The guy was a grown up man and he should have been a good example in front of his kids. Instead he followed the herd. I see it all the time in Phuket.

8 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

Good god, how fast does a vehicle have to be speeding to kill a grown man on impact?

Certainly alcohol involved and video will provide a plate number but driver will turn himself in tomorrow after he has sobered up. 

Poor kids...the only reason for this tragedy is because this place is a complete free-for-all.

Isn't it amazing what you can find if you read the OP and follow the link therin.

From the Phuket Gazette

quote " Police have charged the car driver, Pallop Jujinda, 44, with reckless driving causing death.

Police said they have so far not pressed any charges against the bus driver while they investigate the extent of the bus company's insurance coverage with regard to any compensation to Mr Lu’s family for his death. "

33 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

Why blame the bus driver?   He stopped by the side of the road so that passengers could go shopping, nothing wrong with that and he certainly wasn't negligent. 

The passengers who chose to cross the road in front of oncoming traffic with one lagging behind (the victim) are more negligent.

I tend to agree with that analysis. I assume the pax asked him to stop at a convenience store and he complied. I really don't know why the bus compnay should be liable for the death.  

I think that when driving tourists, bus drivers should be made to only stop at places that are safe. I mean, I'm not a bus driver, but I would never consider stopping a bus at a convenience store where my passengers would need to cross a busy highway to shop. I don't imagine bus drivers are the sharpest tools in the drawer though, considering the van drivers that forget children in the van and leave them to die in the heat...I don't imagine bus drivers are any smarter.

There is one way to make them start to think about their customer's safety though, hit them in the pocket book.

I was in a situation in the US where I could have easily been run over.

I come form Oz where we drive on the left...obviously the US drives on the right.

My lifelong habit is to look right first...and if no traffic start walking. Very different situation when the traffic is coming from your left. Luckily my then US gf grabbed me and stopped me ...the Chinese guy could have been in a similar mindset. Check the traffic coming from where he expected it i.e from his left....but it came from the right instead and cost him his life.

What his poor family were/are going through I cannot comprehend. RIP

Archived