Low Class Tourists, or Not.

NoshowJones

Who makes a low class tourist and who does not?

Low class tourists would be the Shirtless brigade, mostly seen in Pattaya.

I could also say the fat, ugly, tattooed brigade, but I won't, they are all 

financially secure, would never score any lookers in their home country, but contribute well to the Thai economy.

What do you think?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is low class tourism all about how a person looks?

Lots of low class tourists dress neatly and can string a sentence together

A low class tourist is here for paid sex ,boozing and maybe finding a wife they can buy

A very interesting question as I suspect there are many different interpretations of 'low class tourists'.

My own would (or would have been) the tourists that stay in cheap accommodation, spend their days getting pissed and nights with 'ladies of ill repute'.  But the question made me realise that they are spending money in the poor sector - so 'low class' or not, they're still spending money that doesn't immediately go into the pocket of the wealthy.

Edit - Actually, the same thing applies to the expats!

I think monied people certainly feel more comfortable around the people most like themselves......

That being said, there are people with money that are flat out low class/trashy & and people on the other end with not much but stellar individuals.....

I've been in places in the states that have been almost alien to me.....After 3 days in one place I really wondered if it was something in the water or in the air - obviously their norm and mine didn't match....

I'd say anyone that doesn't respect the people & the culture, cultural no no's would fall into that category....Hotel owners would be the best real time source for valid answers......

Someone just did a series of signs posted at Thai businesses that had specific people/nationalities posted they would not serve + the reasons why......They were frank & candid and it made an interesting study....Some caught me by surprise - most didn't....

In the US the place is so vast & varied in vacation opportunities that people that work think they are seeing the world by travelling within the country - of course they're not, but doing what they can.....But given how little free time they have & the hours they work travelling here/anywhere is simply not thought about......Last I heard it was a small percent that travelled the globe.....Other countries are so small that you can't help but get away from them with minimal travel....

But - I think if we were to evaluate who in our own countries would fit the OP's question; those same people would be a poor choice to have for tourism.....

3 minutes ago, MissAndry said:

Low class tourists,

You can't get much lower the spitting and pooping in the street.

Too bad some guiding hand can't just give them a nudge so they could fall on top of their creativity....

17 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

A very interesting question as I suspect there are many different interpretations of 'low class tourists'.

My own would (or would have been) the tourists that stay in cheap accommodation, spend their days getting pissed and nights with 'ladies of ill repute'.  But the question made me realise that they are spending money in the poor sector - so 'low class' or not, they're still spending money that doesn't immediately go into the pocket of the wealthy.

Good post Dick, with cheap accommodation, I take it you mean rooms without AC or fridge, ladies of ill repute, not sure how to answer that one.

Yes, I should have put "tourists or expats" will try and change it.

14 minutes ago, MissAndry said:

Low class tourists,

You can't get much lower the spitting and pooping in the street.

Never seen anyone pooping in the street, IMO, among the lowest are those who go

shirtless, walking down the pavement, through shopping malls etc.

10 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I can never understand white people who seem to hate other white people.

Generally western white people (excluding slavs) are rather tolerant, law abiding, well behaved and polite when compared to the other races.

27 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Good post Dick, with cheap accommodation, I take it you mean rooms without AC or fridge, ladies of ill repute, not sure how to answer that one.

Yes, I should have put "tourists or expats" will try and change it.

Not necessarily.  There's cheap accommodation and expensive accommodation - and most of the money in cheap accommodation will be paid to relatively poor Thais, as opposed to the wealthy Thais that own the expensive accommodation.

Edit - Anyway, thanks to your thread I've finally realised that I'm far too judgmental about my definition of 'low class' tourists and expats as they provide much needed money to the poorer sector of the Thai economy.

4 minutes ago, MissAndry said:

I can never understand white people who seem to hate other white people.

Generally western white people (excluding slavs) are rather tolerant, law abiding, well behaved and polite when compared to the other races.

I don't hate white people, as long as they keep their shirt on in public, bar of course on the beach,

and they don't get drunk in public.

I agree with what you say about most white people.

3 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Not necessarily.  There's cheap accommodation and expensive accommodation - and most of the money in cheap accommodation will be paid to relatively poor Thais, as opposed to the wealthy Thais that own the expensive accommodation.

I use the same guest house every time I go to Pattaya, good AC, fridge, very clean, cannot fault it.

Also a very helpful UK owner, only 600 Bt per night.

Hope that does not make me a low class expat.

To me's low class is not the question,  Inferior standards of tourists.... l could understand  e.g. As you say unsuitable dress in places,  rude language,  bad behaviour,  disrespect of cultural differences. 

10 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Who makes a low class tourist and who does not?

Low class tourists would be the Shirtless brigade, mostly seen in Pattaya.

I could also say the fat, ugly, tattooed brigade, but I won't, they are all 

financially secure, would never score any lookers in their home country, but contribute well to the Thai economy.

What do you think?

I think you are, as usual, far too judgemental of others. You can never resist having a pop at fat people with tats can you, all you missed was your dislike of facial hair.

Behaviour would be the best judge of ones character, not what they wear or look like.

To the Thai's, if working in the "entertainment sector", everybody with liberal spending habits is "high class". Looks, behavior etc is secondary. (2 week millionaires are especially welcome).

Ouoops ! Now I have given away a well kept secret.

Cheers.

So to live in/visit Thailand you need to have money, be slim and attractive with no tats?......so that would knock down tourism and ex-pat living by about 80% :thumbsup:

9 hours ago, Bangkokhatter said:

I think you are, as usual, far too judgemental of others. You can never resist having a pop at fat people with tats can you, all you missed was your dislike of facial hair.

Behaviour would be the best judge of ones character, not what they wear or look like.

"all you missed was your dislike of facial hair".

No, I also missed the fat belly. I take it you are one of these people, not too worry, one of my best friends is a member of the fat, ugly, tattooed, facial haired brigade

and he is one of the nicest guys you could meet, I admit that I think that the people mentioned are very unsightly, but that is just my opinion, they think they are handsome.

That's fine, if anyone thinks my long hair is unsightly, that's also fine. Lighten up a bit.:D

Just now, possum1931 said:

"all you missed was your dislike of facial hair".

No, I also missed the fat belly. I take it you are one of these people, not too worry, one of my best friends is a member of the fat, ugly, tattooed, facial haired brigade

and he is one of the nicest guys you could meet, I admit that I think that the people mentioned are very unsightly, but that is just my opinion, they think they are handsome.

That's fine, if anyone thinks my long hair is unsightly, that's also fine. Lighten up a bit.:D

Not the ponytail!?

19 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I've seen homeless and drugged up Thais do this actually...Sukumvit during the day...there used to be this fat mentally ill fellow who would stroll the Nana area, just covered in crap and asking for money...but that was perhaps 5 years ago...

20 hours ago, possum1931 said:

okay, so now it's:

Chinese 0

Russians 1

21 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

I have a few very wealthy friends, from what would be called high-borne families in their home countries.

Not that I have a problem with it, but they have both done their share of whoring & boozing over here (not a tattoo to be seen).

These guys are the real deal, there are also plenty of trashy people who think they're something that they're not.

This brings to mind the Cynthia Payne (Madam Cyn) case in the UK. When pursued by the police she suggested that she might make her list of private customers public, many of whom were judges, politicians, celebrities, etc. (not low-class people). I thnk many of these people have the same foibles & vices as ordinary people, they just see the virtue in keeping their private lives private.

Archived