Thais furious as 'farang' woman parades in her undies at Phuket temple

webfact

19 minutes ago, Finkelstein said:

I have been to hundreds of temples in Thailand and never seen a bar inside one of them. The story is about a farang on temple grounds.

I live less than a stone throw away from this temple, where are all the bars and ladies here? I have not seen any. 

He never said there were bars INSIDE temples. Try reading it properly.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never really understood why people get so angry and offended when people do something they deem disrespectful to their religion.

If you believe in heaven/hell, karma, Jesus returning to somewhere in the US, etc - why would you care? Bad people will go to hell or receive bad karma, etc. Don't worry. 

Or, you don't really 100% believe it and this is just another thing that pours doubt that there's no god, etc, and all your BS in daily life to get rewarded will amount to nothing. We are very selfish and deluded creatures.

And another thing. Foreigners in most countries are easy targets. "God damn foreigners!". I wish Thais were more offended by corruption. Even just a little bit. 

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

" Furious and distress " and this is coming from the country probably with the biggest numbers

of bars, lady of and night and day, awash with drugs and an internationally known as a

men's haven, only stone throw away from this temple you have tones of bars and massage parlors catering for all whims and want of immorality,

Thailand is a major tourists country with many millions of visitors coming every year,

and with it you get all sorts of people, not all of them know the rules and the knowhow as to how to dress in a holy places....

And the Gik's who parade their latest catches at the temples looking for a blessing or two for their short lived relationships, ...and the temples, abbots and monks who are only too willing with the blessing as long as the donation boxes fill.  

2 hours ago, tropo said:

How did you arrive at that conclusion? It looked like she was there on her own.

In Pattaya we often see Farang females dressed "inappropriately" all over town, but the Thais don't mind at all. I saw a Farang lady walking across a busy intersection on 3rd Road/Pattaya Tai in a skimpy bikini the other day... about a kilometer east of the beach. That was the worst (or best :D depending on your POV) case of inappropriate dress I've seen here. If any Thais were taking photos, it wasn't to complain.

Only a Russian woman would wear a frumpy-but-sheer dress like that. They stand out a mile with their 70's couture :coffee1:

Lol.  I'll need to take pictures of Thai women in tight-short skirts to send to the 'authorities' the next time I'm at the wat.  Inappropriate dress seems to only refer to 'foreigners.'

8 minutes ago, dageurreotype said:

Only a Russian woman would wear a frumpy-but-sheer dress like that. They stand out a mile with their 70's couture :coffee1:

Perhaps that's what the gals wear in Eastern Orthodox churches?  Cool!  Literally.

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

" Furious and distress " and this is coming from the country probably with the biggest numbers

of bars, lady of and night and day, awash with drugs and an internationally known as a

men's haven, only stone throw away from this temple you have tones of bars and massage parlors catering for all whims and want of immorality,

Thailand is a major tourists country with many millions of visitors coming every year,

and with it you get all sorts of people, not all of them know the rules and the knowhow as to how to dress in a holy places....

Take em any way you can get them is the motto. Short tall we love em all. Ka Ching Ka Ching Ka Ching. 

Ahh the never ending search for Farangs that are disrespecting Thailand!    :thumbsup:

Looks like everybody is enjoying themselves thoroughly, most of all the Thais who get to be righteously offended and feel not a twinge a shame when a farang “dives” from a Pattaya balcony or an old man is mercilessly beaten down by motorcycle drivers for wanting his damage deposit back.

Besides it takes the peoples mind off that nasty color divide which still plagues the political landscape of this Land of Smiles.

Police roused to compel apology from woman tourist for wet dress

By Sasiwan Mokkhasen, Staff Reporter -

Tourist-See-through.jpeg

This photo of female tourist in a long, light dress rendered translucent when it became wet was taken at a landmark Phuket temple, Wat Chalong. It was widely shared for public criticism on Wednesday.

PHUKET — Though the length was acceptable, some people thought it let too much light through.

A woman tourist was briefly held by tourist police and made to offer a wai and apology Wednesday after photos spread of her wearing a thin dress made sheer by the rain at Phuket’s largest temple, Wat Chalong.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/culture/2016/08/11/police-roused-compel-apology-woman-tourist-wet-dress/

-- Khaosod English 2016-08-11

5 hours ago, impagencies said:

I am a Farang lady living in Thailand, Had I have seen her, I would have asked her to leave. Totally inappropriate at a temple,, End of story really!!!

Would have asked a Thai lady to leave the temple had it been a Thai lady and not a Caucasian one wearing the see through dress?? Or would that be culturally insensitive to do so? 

7 hours ago, Sphere said:

"A lack of transparency results in distrust and a deep sense of insecurity."

- Dalai Lama

I am all for more transparency the same as the Dalai Lama but not for the same reasons

I would sooner not have to exercise my imagination too much

This is essential when you consider the old English saying big red hat no knickers

3 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Imagine the outcry if I walked into a Catholic Church waiving a condom?? Or a mosque carying a bacon sandwich. Maybe a church of England church no forget them.!!! It's a Temple a place of worship for Buddhists. You lot moan if a man goes to do 90 day report in shorts t shirt and flip flops, double standards then or is it because it's a woman wearing skimpy knickers you like. Would you say it was appropriate if a bloke dressed the same way at a temple.

Catholic Church no problem as the only people who would have seen one up close before would be the priest conducting the mass and the odd choir boy

As for bacon sandwiches and mosques I would counsel against that as Imams are not noted for they sense of humour

Forget the church of England well I did that 70 years ago so at least I have done one thing right but dont tell Liz the defender of the faith

I will make no comment on or even mention a Buddhist Temple    WHOOPS

I have absolutely no problem with anybodies religion

If of course it ever becomes compulsory they will be told in no uncertain terms exactly what they can do with it

Then of course I will have to watch out for fully paid up members of the Spanish inquisition

why should she apologize for getting wet from the rain , maybe if someone told her about how see through her dress had become she would have left but rather than tell her they just got upset and complained .

6 hours ago, impagencies said:

I am a Farang lady living in Thailand, Had I have seen her, I would have asked her to leave. Totally inappropriate at a temple,, End of story really!!!

The situation you are offering yourself up to is similar to asking for credit in certain establishments

Namely please dont do it if a smack in the gob offends

8 hours ago, kalbo123 said:

I haven been to several Thai Temple party's.

The Thai "sexy girls" dancing and singing there were dressed way more inappropriate, just saying before the farang bashing begins.

Agree that some of those singing and dancing at those parties are incredibly raunchy during their act; and of course get egged on by monetary gifts. Ever watched them after the show - they usually wouldn't give anyone in the audience the time of day. 

Not all farangs are religious, bother to read or even care about the culture of the country they visit. Many religious establishments have officials on hand who stop inappropriate dressers from entry. They used to have old ladies stopping young tourists dressed inappropriately from going into churches in Spain; or provide them with cover ups that are acceptable. I thought that's what the protesters were saying - where were the officials and where is the information to tourists.

Did anyone stop to think perhaps she didnt realize how transparent her dress was I have seen it all to often and when the ladiies in question were informed they were very embarrassed. I dont think she meant any disrespect if had a problem with the Buddhist religion she wouldnt go to the temple in the first place .and the story further down says in only became translucent when she got wet so there you go no disrespect intended on her behalf  

How many Thais understand or respect any other countries culture. Very few I bet .How many Chinese get dragged into the police station  as they always seem to be in the news for being disrespectful and when the Thai's print T-shirts with a swastika on them or when they hold school pageants with the students dressed as Hitler.That's okay though. Bunch of hypocrites.

Has anyone from the temple complained? I doubt it as these temples make millions from the tourists.

I would liove to know where all that money goes

Archived