Thais furious as 'farang' woman parades in her undies at Phuket temple

webfact

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, connda said:

Lol.  I'll need to take pictures of Thai women in tight-short skirts to send to the 'authorities' the next time I'm at the wat.  Inappropriate dress seems to only refer to 'foreigners.'

Yes please do that, if you find a Thai lady showing her undies at the temple. Mission impossible but good luck. 

Foreign tourist apologizes for visiting temple in sexy dress

Kongleaphy Keam

pg.jpeg

PHUKET:-- A tourist who wore a see-through dress while visiting a temple in Chalong apologized yesterday after pictures of her outfit were shared on social media. 

Tourist police ‘invited’ the foreigner, her tour guide and a representative of a tour company to apologize at a police station in Phuket Town. Also present at the station was a representative of the temple, Wat Chalong. 

The police refused to release the name or nationality of the woman, saying it could affect 'tourism relations' with her country.

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Foreign-tourist-apologizes-visiting-temple-sexy-dress/65371?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2016-08-11

4 hours ago, dageurreotype said:

Only a Russian woman would wear a frumpy-but-sheer dress like that. They stand out a mile with their 70's couture :coffee1:

That's a stretch of the imagination. That's the kind of gear women from all over the world would wear coming off the beach - it's basically beach wear and nothing to do with the 70's. It's Phuket, right?

6 hours ago, pkspeaker said:

so what if you can see through it.  ITS FUKING HOT IN THIS COUNTRY! you can't see her nipples or vagina so who the hell cares? I get annoyed when Thai people bitch about me taking my shirt off during a workout or at the park etc.  If they wanna wear jackets and warmups when its goddam 34* outside that's their dysfunction, they think it's so 'polite'  I think they're morons.

I'll never understand why these people wear jackets and warmups when it's 95F.  The homo-sapian evolved in hot africa because  he didn't have body hair.  Because of this the hunter-gatherer human could run-down game, his prey could run faster, but he could run longer; he would keep chasing it until it dropped.  It is not natural for humans to be wearing even anything in a hot climate, much less long pants, heavy shoes and a thick cotton shirt. 

Seems odd don't it? But most Thais do it not because they want to carry their own steam-bath around with them, they do it so the sun doesn't make their skin brown.

Stupid I know for a lot of reasons, but Thais aren't generally the sharpest knives in the drawer.

"She was made to apologize to a temple representative and the people of Phuket."

What man made law did she actually break?  Forced to apologize for doing what exactly?  This story simply highlights the pettiness that exists in this country, the childishness of grown men summoning an innocent woman down to the cop shop and then intimidating her into apologizing.

So what about the monks that wander around the temples half dressed, puffing on a cigarette while playing with their smartphones?

oh lordy ,lordy , somebody quickly call the hospital , tell them to send over a fleet of wa wa wambulances to take these offended and furious Thai peeps to a safe calm temple on the other side of town just as soon as they are finished taking pic's of the scantily clad bimbette's ass  . oh .....and someone go wake up the monk that was supposed to be guarding the sight .....bada bada bing 

"A woman tourist was briefly held by tourist police and made to offer a wai and apology Wednesday after photos spread of her wearing a thin dress made sheer by the rain at Phuket’s largest temple, Wat Chalong."

I hope that she goes onto social media and lets everyone in her home country how she was treated. 

Should do wonders for tourism. 

It is telling the police won't release her name as it might affect tourism.

Seems not all publicity is good publicity. 

“Thais furious as farang …” Almost says it all really as a mantra of what happens without having the gall and wisdom to look beyond being bound by ‘face’ and properly dealing with a problem at its source, without the drama of widening the net. Conversely, but based only on the reported meager details, the Western woman seems to have been naïve and ignorant or brazen.  

If skimpy dress offends, then why don't Thai Temples have a "dressing up box filled with clothes".

I have visited churches in France and Spain where such a collection of clothes are available to allow visitors in skimpy clothes to cover themselves.

Much ado about nothing IMHO!

I don't like  'Boom - Boom shows,, the Honky Tonk stage shows where so called fun and culture usually ends in public drunks fighting and some  girls molested.

Entering a temple is done with a code of conduct, this tourist ignored that, the outrage is real.

But is it justified when not even a year ago a stage was set up in front of a local temple near a public park in my town

And you guest it already....indeed the Honky Tonk brigade was introduced with girls in hot pants and small bodies

They were ample 14...hitting the intoxicated audience (to their utmost delight) with as much Boom -Boom gestures (suggestive pelvis movements) as they were able to do.

Booze plenty drunks overwhelming majority.

Fundraising it turned out to  be.

This young lady clearly provoked the devoted Buddhist visitors, but a public out cry justified ?????????

6 hours ago, laislica said:

If skimpy dress offends, then why don't Thai Temples have a "dressing up box filled with clothes".

I have visited churches in France and Spain where such a collection of clothes are available to allow visitors in skimpy clothes to cover themselves.

Much ado about nothing IMHO!

Some of the larger temples do this. Wat Nong Wang in Khon Kaen provides sarongs for ladies who show up in shorts or short dresses.

So...I assume this foreign women can sue the person that posted the video/photos on the Internet for "Defamation and Libel."  And...I assume that under the Thailand's Internet Crimes Act the Police will arrest the Thai for posting the video/photos on the internet. Right!?

Geez...you come to Thailand for a nice vacation and relaxation.  Next thing you now you are the talk-of-the-country, ridiculed and sitting in a Police Station surrounded by Police and Reporters/Press apologizing to all of Thailand.  incredible.

23 hours ago, sahibji said:

all visitors to these wats are required to be suitably attired. how did this one escape the safety net?

it does show disrespect to the culture of the country.

Right. It`s a case of pig ignorance and the western attitudes of what they consider freedom of expression and freedom to portray themselves in public without restrictions or restraints. If I want to breast feed in public, or walk about in your underwear or lay naked on a beach, I can, and I`m going to push this into your faces until it`s accepted.

Don`t expect any likes for your post because the majority of posters agree with that woman and have total disregard for Thai values and one big reasons why the Thais are afraid of too much western influence in Thailand and restrict the activities of expats here. And who can blame them.

On 8/11/2016 at 8:26 AM, westsail said:

I think it's shows a disgraceful disrespect for Thai people and Thai culture.  Even though she is not Buddhist she knows that this is a holy place for Thai people.   Does anyone think that she would try to enter a cathedral in her own country or in any western country dressed like that?

maybe she gives a shit about this and maybe she does not know that her Dress is the  see-through kind 

20 hours ago, jonclark said:

Would have asked a Thai lady to leave the temple had it been a Thai lady and not a Caucasian one wearing the see through dress?? Or would that be culturally insensitive to do so? 

But a Thai wouldn't wear such a dress to a temple anyway.

The report tells us that "...Thais furious as 'farang' woman parades in her undies at Phuket temple..."!

Worse still, it says "...no one tried to stop her..."

Seems to be a question of priorities - pity no one tried to stop these guys:

Dhamma.jpg

6 hours ago, little mary sunshine said:

Stupid foreigners, no respect for the Thai

Culture.   If you "don't know",  read a little

so you don't make a fool of yourself and

embarass your Country

Actually Mary you sound jealous as well as petulant. Does your body let you down by any chance?

11 hours ago, hgma said:

Entering a temple is done with a code of conduct, this tourist ignored that, the outrage is real.

But is it justified when not even a year ago a stage was set up in front of a local temple near a public park in my town

This young lady clearly provoked the devoted Buddhist visitors, but a public out cry justified ?????????

The outrage is simply staged by the usual idiots who simply want to bash the foreigner for even the slightest of mistakes, the outrage is fake!

Many, many temples have fund raising fairs every year INSIDE the temple grounds during the dry season, and every year the monks employ young ladies to sing and dance provocatively on stage in skimpy attire in front of a highly intoxicated bunch of men and women. The men and the women in the audience give the singers money usually by pushing the notes down inside the girl's bra giving the breasts a quick fondle at the same time.  Anyone outraged? NO!

So tell me about devote Buddhists who go to temples drunk, pay the monks for special blessings and perhaps a bit of fortune telling as well. And where is the outrage when some monks get caught with young women, sometimes boys, in sexually explicit circumstances. Where is the outrage when your local monk is using drugs, making fake money, carrying a gun, or just usually super rich?

Archived