Welcome to Koh Chang and the Land of Smiles - that will be 320,000 baht please

webfact

Welcome to Koh Chang and the Land of Smiles - that will be 320,000 baht please

p5a.jpg

Image: Thairath

KOH CHANG: -- Cruise ship staff are furious after they were told they had to pay 320,000 baht for their "high end tourists" to step on Koh Chang yesterday.

The staff said they had no idea before the visit of their ship packed with 1,400 "quality tourists" that they would have to front up a bill for just disembarking, reported Thairath.

Thai tourism officials in Trat were rubbing their hands in glee when they heard that the Pacific Eden - an Australian luxury liner packed with big spending and wealthy tourists from Britain, Australia and New Zealand - was to anchor off Koh Chang Noi Bay.

But no one had told the boat staff there would be a charge of 200 baht for foreign adults and 100 baht for their kids. Some 1,400 people of the 2000 passengers and crew aboard disembarked.

Jakraphan Tawethikun of the Trat Tourism office had said that these are just the kind of visitors the island  and country needs. It was estimated that they spent 2.4 million baht at souvenir shops, restaurants and on transport in one brief visit. 

That equated to about $40 US dollars or 1,500 baht each.

The TAT were thrilled that the liner came here as not too many drop in at Asian ports. They have a policy of trying to attract what they call "quality" tourists who will spend big and they were delighted that the "high end" tourists felt it was safe here and they would be assured of a great welcome.

However it was the "hidden" extra that irked the ship's crew.

An unnamed member of the liner's staff was less than happy. "They should have announced beforehand that visitors would have to pay fees just for stepping on the island. This would avoid problems and annoyance when people are charged later" the staff member said.

It appeared that the 320,000 was paid in a lump sum to the National Park office on the island and that the annoyance would be felt later when the charges would be passed on to the tourists for the privilege of visiting Koh Chang.

"They need to be told beforehand," said the staff member, "so they can make the decision whether to disembark or not".

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-11

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is truly idiotic, and shortsighted. Visitors to Koh Chang do not need to pay to step foot on the island, so this is total bullshit and a shakedown. They have probably made sure that this ship will not visit Koh Chang again, so well done to the greedy Somchais who decided to enforce this charge.

would so love to one day see a massive cruise ship anchor - and no one get off, in toto

Then, the quivering Thais will be buzzing around the ship - like hornets and fleas...

... keep it up and the fleas will end up with only their leaky longboats left, looking like the rabble of starving vendors surrounding a railways carriage in rural Vietnam

.......... Thai tourism officials in Trat were rubbing their hands in glee when they heard that the Pacific Eden - an Australian luxury liner packed with big spending and wealthy tourists from Britain, Australia and New Zealand - was to anchor off Koh Chang Noi Bay. ..............

I think pure greed is a better terminology!

The TAT is thrilled to see 2.4 million spent quickly by the type of quality tourists they hope to attract, so to show their gratitude and entice these ocean liners to repeat such generous stops, they spring a fee of almost $US 10,000 on them.

And people actually study for MBA's here? I guess according to the Thai business model, we'll be paying admission to the likes of Big C and Tesco to enter their stores for the privilege of giving them our money. 

Koh Samed is a National Park and you pay to go on the island - as far as I'm aware the National Park on KC doesn't cover all the island and the PUBLIC ARE NOT ADMITTED - so tell me I'm wrong but at present I can only conclude that this is a barefaced scam.

Jakraphan Tawethikun of the Trat Tourism office had said that these are just the kind of visitors the island and country needs. It was estimated that they spent 2.4 million baht at souvenir shops, restaurants and on transport in one brief visit

:sick: :sick: :sick:

Alright there's a charge to visit and the cruise company should be aware (and should thus absorb it), but doesn't stop this comment from making me heave a little.

Typical Thai thinking. No long term growth here for cruise lines. If they want more ships to come stop with the penny anti mentality. Welcome the QUALITY TOURISTS with open arms and many more with come Start charging up front money and their  quality tourist horse will dry up very very fast 

Most countries charge "landing fees" for cruise liners nothing to do with "wealth passengers",just a normal fees, same as aircraft landing fees, no bru haha over aircraft fees! What's the big deal 200 b per passenger???

2 hours ago, robblok said:

No quite normal every foreigner pays to enter Thai national parks (though I was not aware Koh Chang was one of those as i never paid to enter it)

Why would big spenders be exempt from paying the National park fee ?

Agreed.

High end tourists should not be given a free pass but IMO, they should be aware of the charges before they arrive.

The cruise company were upset because they were not advised before they docked about the charges. so the passengers did not know that they would face extra charges just for disembarking.

I think that the charges are not unreasonable, just unexpected.

The cruise company should absorb the extra cost and do better research in future.

If one thinks about the damage that thousands of pairs of feet can make to the environment or thousands of bladders etc, there could well be a cost in cleaning up visitor introduced mess.

PS

Does the cruise company want some cheese with their Whine?

Whats the big deal ... that they did not tell them before hand, Doh!

and what did they say ..."The TAT were thrilled that the liner came here as not too many drop in at Asian ports"

I guess now we know why! and why likely they won't be any more in the future!       :D

5 minutes ago, laislica said:

Agreed.

High end tourists should not be given a free pass but IMO, they should be aware of the charges before they arrive.

The cruise company were upset because they were not advised before they docked about the charges. so the passengers did not know that they would face extra charges just for disembarking.

I think that the charges are not unreasonable, just unexpected.

The cruise company should absorb the extra cost and do better research in future.

If one thinks about the damage that thousands of pairs of feet can make to the environment or thousands of bladders etc, there could well be a cost in cleaning up visitor introduced mess.

PS

Does the cruise company want some cheese with their Whine?

This .....

So many TV members are ignorant lol

The crew didnt do their homework. Entrance fee to Koh Chang National Park as follows:

Mu Koh Chang National Park
23/7, Moo 3, Ko Chang, Trat, Thailand

Opening Hours : 08:00 a.m. - 04.30 p.m.
Admission : Child 100 Bath , Adult 200 Bath (Price are subject to change) 

I have visited Koh Chang many times driving my own car and taking it across on the ferry. I have driven the car to all parts of the island both on the tourist side and the non tourist side where there are no beaches. I have never been asked to pay a National Park entry fee unless I choose to enter one of the waterfall areas where there are payment booths. What about all the foreigners that live on Koh Chang. Do they pay an entrance fee each time they return to the island?

Unless the Cruise ship visitors entered the waterfall areas where there are payment booths then they should not have had to pay an entry fee. This is just another money grabbing attempt by the hopelessly corrupt Government officials that run this Country.

3 minutes ago, Bcgardener said:

I have visited Koh Chang many times driving my own car and taking it across on the ferry. I have driven the car to all parts of the island both on the tourist side and the non tourist side where there are no beaches. I have never been asked to pay a National Park entry fee unless I choose to enter one of the waterfall areas where there are payment booths. What about all the foreigners that live on Koh Chang. Do they pay an entrance fee each time they return to the island?

Unless the Cruise ship visitors entered the waterfall areas where there are payment booths then they should not have had to pay an entry fee. This is just another money grabbing attempt by the hopelessly corrupt Government officials that run this Country.

I assume this was a local money grab. Be nice to know where the money went....

Archived