Starting to sell food in Thailand

haelewyn

I can imagine all the things you say.  As well from experience there as at home.
Some things are the same everywhere. Like kiss ass or don't take business from others.

I am trying to move over to preparing the things inside my own house. If police comes : i am cooking for the family for 4 days or for the freezer and we are all big eaters.

I think they will not come to check what i am doing in my own house. Cooking is not that big offense.

Planning to sell the stuff in a not too big market.   
It's obvious the food is from my home country and not from Thailand.
Since I am not allowed to sell, I would just sit there and let my wife to the selling. 
I wouild not go more far than saying hello to people .. or maybe a thank you..   Not doing any selling and not even discussing the price of things.

If asked, i would say this is how I make things , but my gf / wife makes them now. 
I plan to sit just next to her as a mascotte.. 
Personally, i think they can not make me bleed for this if i do a lot of waying and talking nice to people (if i do talk).

Just have to resist the temptation to do any selling or anything at all.
My gf / wife to be thinks even this is a 'not done' in Thailand. I am doing nothing wrong but she thinks the police will say I was working and want money.
I plan to give them some food but no more.
Don't know if this is an idea that will bring me in trouble or not.
For me, in a European mind, it's clear i am not selling or working. I just sit there to protect my gf or to keep her company.
That it has a business purpose... i don't want to know if the police asks. I can sit where i want there ?

In this way, I copy what hotel or restaurant owners that I know do. 
They are the boss .. they are there.. they sit there and can talk to staff or customers.
Everybody knows they are the boss but officially they are not doing any job or work at all.

At this time not making anything yet. I am in Europe now, thinking about and preparing my long long time trip there. Probably go there in September.

About the products we would be making : I have ideas about several. But want to try out many.. then eliminate what is not going well enough and keeping the top 3 or 5 of what is going well enough.
Waffles and pancakes is a possibility. Pastry and small pies is a second one.   Cookies also. And then some things with chocolate inside or around it.

And not to forget some warm dishes we want to try (European) like meat dishes , Lasagna, potatoe dishes...
Fast bites - Fast eats - small size.

Not keeping it a big secret. In many rural places, people don't know the dishes yet. If it would be more widely known, maybe it would be to my advantage.
If i make the best ones,  I will have customers anyway.     (Bragging smile on my face)

On 21/08/2016 at 4:51 PM, haelewyn said:

Since I am not allowed to sell, I would just sit there and let my wife to the selling. 
I wouild not go more far than saying hello to people .. or maybe a thank you..   Not doing any selling and not even discussing the price of things.

If asked, i would say this is how I make things , but my gf / wife makes them now. 
I plan to sit just next to her as a mascotte.. 
Personally, i think they can not make me bleed for this if i do a lot of waying and talking nice to people (if i do talk).

Just have to resist the temptation to do any selling or anything at all.
My gf / wife to be thinks even this is a 'not done' in Thailand. I am doing nothing wrong but she thinks the police will say I was working and want money.

Your gf is right. Do not be sitting the business side of the table. Maybe arrange the stall with a couple of chairs for customers and sit there with some food on a plate. Just like a customer.

Look at bar owners who do not have a work permit. They sit the customer side of the bar with a drink. Many people would not know they are the owner.

Just never, ever, do anything to help. Don't unload the car, don't set up, don't take money, and don't cook or clear up.

Sit there, eat, read the paper or play candy crush saga. Talk to other customers about anything you want though. 

Some people would think that is a really good life!

Thanks ... it's about my idea but more strict. 

Indeed , it is the way many restaurant or hotel managers are succesfull nowadays. So it's a good idea to copy it.
It should be the way i do it but i think it's difficult to keep up.  I can imagine i will be tempted to work or help a bit but it's a bad way to start doing like that.
And it's going to end soon if you don't keep to the rools strictly.

Just cook in your home and make sure you don't tell anyone. No photos on Facebook. You need a Thai woman to sell your food. Make sure she is not your girlfriend. Impossible to monitor the cash but but the food sells or it doesn't. Easy to know. Good luck. Or supply direct to local restaurants and bars. Again a Thai delivers.

• 3 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 3:50 PM, Muzarella said:

If you are married with a Thai,  you can open a Limited Partnership 51 to 48% to run any business, with just one more 1% Thai on the contract. If not, you may need 3 more Thai on the contract.

If you are American, may be some exceptions. Ask you local DBD office.

The total cost to open a Limited Partnership Company is about  2000THB and you can do it your self with the help of a DBD officer. Do not need to show any money at all, but remember that may be not convenient for a very small business, because will have to declare taxes every year paying a CPA to do it (cost up to 10.000THB/year, plus taxes over 300.000/year profit).

muzarella  you replied to my new post, Retiremnt visa convered to a married  visa  but I cannot find it anymore in TV forum, can you help

kraxlhuber

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 11:37 PM, blackcab said:

Your gf is right. Do not be sitting the business side of the table. Maybe arrange the stall with a couple of chairs for customers and sit there with some food on a plate. Just like a customer.

Look at bar owners who do not have a work permit. They sit the customer side of the bar with a drink. Many people would not know they are the owner.

Just never, ever, do anything to help. Don't unload the car, don't set up, don't take money, and don't cook or clear up.

Sit there, eat, read the paper or play candy crush saga. Talk to other customers about anything you want though. 

Some people would think that is a really good life!

my wife has  a small restaurant in our land, I paid for the kitchen ware und the  beer garden and toilet construction and beer garden furniture, she says I am not even to show up there and  I do clean the leaves off the walk way   and  water the flowers  and  do repair minor things, is that considered working in Thailand? Btw our house is in the booneys up north, the wife  doesn't make  much money  but has  registered her business in her name with the Amphoe and has a license, To cook,  yes,

but to sell alcohol I don't know? Guess she needs a separate license for that?

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 0:53 PM, adhd said:

2016 and this crazy place let us not even help in a family business

I cannot own anything (land ...) 

But (glad) my daughters can ... there are same nationality as mine ... just because their mother is Thai,  they can do whatever another Thai does, but not their father ?

no need to whine about it, I know....

Why  my daughter and my son cannot own land, (both are Thai citizens ) in Thailand  and work in any branch of Thai government and my son cannot join the police or Army, Xenophobic lot they are, reserved the food industry only for Thais, they can eat their Som Tam and Pla ra them-selfs

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:05 AM, thairay said:

You cannot do what you want here i am afraid, stick around for more negative comments 

A Farang ( foreigner of Western culture , white man as such) opened a Pizza Parlor here in our small town, he is baking Pizzas, my dog wont touch,

but he makes  some business, that's next door to the police station.

The solution  is very simple really. Do as you want if you want to work without a WP do it, if you want to set up a buisness do it. If you want to stay on without the nessasary paperwork and visas do it. It's your life your choice. What you don't do even on an anonymous forum is quote chapter and verse about what you want to do. JUST DO on the quite problem solved.

On 12/8/2559 at 0:21 PM, recycler said:

You'd better go to another country...

In Thailand you need to setup a company Ltd with minimum 2 million Baht registered capital and employ 4 Thais and pay yourself a minimum income of 50,000 Baht per month. You need to sell a lot of food for that!

not possible to get a work permit to run a burger joint. you just set it up and stay the hell away from it to keep out of trouble and hope the staff dont pocket any income, if there is any. hard to believe people actually try stuff like this.

Archived