Who pays when a rented motorbike get stolen?

alexlm

1 minute ago, evadgib said:

You'll 'buy' it at the full cost inc HP if they have it on drip. Are you sure they haven't nicked it themselves?

I wondered if these rental guys ever run that kind of scam.

I would still report it to the police and to your hotel in case its happened to others.

What are the details? My hotel has always had overnight security.

There were gangs in Pattaya a while back that would rent a bike, find a pretext to quickly return it and take another, then another; each time copying the keys.  They knew that most of the renters stayed in nearby hotels so it was an easy matter to find the bikes parked at night and drive them off, selling them to gangs that mostly shipped them to Cambodia or Myanmar.

Most rental agencies kept renters passports so they had a lot of leverage to demand payment for the lost bike.  I'm sure if one were to be able to read the small print in the rental agreement, somewhere it says that the renter is responsible for returning the vehicle.

I used to frequently rent motorbikes in Pattaya and bought my own heavy duty lock and chain...never had a problem.  It's not that it made it theft proof..it just made it much more work to steal than the other bikes parked around it.

2 minutes ago, dddave said:

There were MiddleEastern gangs in Pattaya a while back that would rent a bike, find a pretext to quickly return it and take another, then another; each time copying the keys.  They knew that most of the renters stayed in nearby hotels so it was an easy matter to find the bikes parked at night and drive them off, selling them to gangs that mostly shipped them to Cambodia or Myanmar.

Most rental agencies kept renters passports so they had a lot of leverage to demand payment for the lost bike.  I'm sure if one were to be able to read the small print in the rental agreement, somewhere it says that the renter is responsible for returning the vehicle.

A Federal Issued Passport doesn't belong to the holder.

It is not allowed to be handed over as colerateral, nor securities.

A passport can only be passed in to the Authorities, such as Immigration, or to Law Enforcement  by warrant

If the rental mafia take it off you on threat of death or bodily harm, then you have an excuse for losing it

My friend had his rental stolen in Pattaya. CCTV caught someone from the rental shop stealing it. 

They were trying to pressure him into buying a new bike, and actually threatened him with violence if he didn't. He noticed a CCTV cam nearby belonging to a restaurant, and sure enough, they had it on video. He told that to the police who went to the shop, who apologised, blah, blah, blah, and that was the end of that. I think it cost my friend an extra 1000b or so to pay the restaurant people and some taxi money running around. The police wouldn't charge the shop for their crime.

Lesson from that, always lie about where you will be staying and get an extra lock for the bike that only you have the key for. Park in clear view of a camera, in a lit, secure lot, if possible. But the main thing is to never let the shop know where you are staying.

5 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

There are hire places that do rental with insurance. 

Beware of the exceptions and possible exceedingly high excess.

Don't just accept that because you have "insurance" that it will cover you. Read carefully. If it is in Thai language, go somewhere else.

54 minutes ago, dcnx said:

My friend had his rental stolen in Pattaya. CCTV caught someone from the rental shop stealing it. 

They were trying to pressure him into buying a new bike, and actually threatened him with violence if he didn't. He noticed a CCTV cam nearby belonging to a restaurant, and sure enough, they had it on video. He told that to the police who went to the shop, who apologised, blah, blah, blah, and that was the end of that. I think it cost my friend an extra 1000b or so to pay the restaurant people and some taxi money running around. The police wouldn't charge the shop for their crime.

Lesson from that, always lie about where you will be staying and get an extra lock for the bike that only you have the key for. Park in clear view of a camera, in a lit, secure lot, if possible. But the main thing is to never let the shop know where you are staying.

"Lesson from that, always lie about where you will be staying".

When I first came to Thailand on holiday, I used to rent motorbikes, no one ever asked where I was staying. 

If this ever happened and you're asked to replace the vehicle (purchase it) then be sure to have the registration transferred into your name before paying a single Baht.

This way if it somehow miraculously reappears a week or two later you will retain ownership.

2 minutes ago, ukrules said:

If this ever happened and you're asked to replace the vehicle (purchase it) then be sure to have the registration transferred into your name before paying a single Baht.

This way if it somehow miraculously reappears a week or two later you will retain ownership.

Good shout. 

4 minutes ago, ukrules said:

the bike is needed at the land transport dept for a transfer as they need a rubbing of the vin number.

no bike is gunna make a transfer a tad difficult.

9 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

the bike is needed at the land transport dept for a transfer as they need a rubbing of the vin number.

no bike is gunna make a transfer a tad difficult.

I see, that would create a problem. I've never transferred the ownership of a vehicle here.

Google motorcycle rental scam for all the ways they can screw you.

Typically, it gets stolen from your hotel at night by someone in cahoots with the rental company who tells the thief where you're staying and is even kind enough to provide them with a key.  

You pay the replacement value and hop on a plane home.  The scooter is back up for rent a few days later.

unfortunately I think we all know the answer to this question...

I would never rent a vehicle from anywhere other than a company like avis, thai rent a car etc, their prices are generally pretty good anyway and the risk is soooo much lower

51 minutes ago, ukrules said:

You can insist on anything you want.  It won't do you a bit of good.

The motorcycle rental scams are just like the jet ski scams.  They're brutal extortion.  Period.  And chances are that the cop(s) that get called in to straighten things out- are part of it.  They don't have to do diddly squat except threaten to beat the crap out of you if you don't pay up.  Now.  

It's not about evidence, or photographs, or insurance coverage or the law, or what you think is in your contract.  It's about getting money.  Your money.  And to lead anyone to believe they can outsmart a gang of extortionists, is irresponsible.

The good news:  It's 100% avoidable.  Don't rent a jet ski and don't rent a scooter.   Or, take your chances.  Most people are lucky, enjoy their ride and walk away unscathed.  But enough of them don't and you can Google what happens to them.

8 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

I don't hear of many rentals being stolen.

Was the key removed?

Was the steering locked to the side?

Just curious. These details don't make a difference for the reason Ezzra indicated above.

I witnessed a steering-locked Air-Blade being stolen in Buri Ram a couple of years ago. A pick-up truck, four guys and 35 seconds later Air-Blade was gone!

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

I see, that would create a problem. I've never transferred the ownership of a vehicle here.

The VIN number should be quoted on the rental. If not, ask for it and take a photograph of it plus a photo of the people renting it to you with their shop front. It seems you never can be too careful.

Archived