What drinking water filter do you use?

zeekgarcia

A word of caution though. I have a friend who got problems after drinking RO water long time. All needed minerals are also filtered out with reverse osmosis. He now buys mineral water and is OK.

Have tried several types and now one with 3 filter cylinders but have to run water through it for a while before storing.

It's OK for taste when boiled for hot drinks but for me not as drinking water, my guess is it will depend on how good your tap water supply is.

I would say find a shop to demonstrate the filters competence, maybe the most expensive ones are the best you can buy.

^^ Lopburi` You reckon? I would change that statement to "we used to get...." you only get the minerals that are present in the ground where the food is grown, have you not noticed food is now grown for profit, not health, mass farming and fertilization have pretty much destroyed our food source! Look at the lovely red Thai soil, full of minerals - ha!! little would grow without fertilization,....

Its a huge problem these days, folks don't get enough vits and minerals to stay healthy - Rant over.... :)

The problem with water filters is they are expensive to maintain correctly, easier & cheaper to buy decent mineral water :w00t:

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2016 at 2:00 PM, lopburi3 said:

Filter for taste or safety?  What is the water source?  RO system is what I use as both makes much safer and greatly improves taste.  

I am not sure what our tap water tastes like but want to filter the water to be able to drink so we want it safe to drink and if it has a good taste like the water from the local RO vending machine, then that will be a plus. 

What you can use varies by what the water source is so there is no one answer for all.  If you have fairly clean city water source an RO filter system such as this is likely all you need and will provide very good taste with easy upkeep at a very reasonable cost.  You can find more to much more expensive units if you desire neater presentation or need someone to install.  But highly advise going RO system as it removes almost all bacteria and virus - much more that normal micro type filters.  Another option is UV light to kill rather than remove but you may still need to clean water and it will not improve taste - but can be used in addition to RO if really paranoid.  Only in Bangkok where water is certified safe to drink would I consider just normal filtration - but RO will greatly improve taste so worth it IMHO.

http://www.lazada.co.th/colandas-ro-50g-459200.html

spd_20110515154956_b.jpg

On 8/29/2016 at 10:28 AM, lopburi3 said:

What you can use varies by what the water source is so there is no one answer for all.  If you have fairly clean city water source an RO filter system such as this is likely all you need and will provide very good taste with easy upkeep at a very reasonable cost.  You can find more to much more expensive units if you desire neater presentation or need someone to install.  But highly advise going RO system as it removes almost all bacteria and virus - much more that normal micro type filters.  Another option is UV light to kill rather than remove but you may still need to clean water and it will not improve taste - but can be used in addition to RO if really paranoid.  Only in Bangkok where water is certified safe to drink would I consider just normal filtration - but RO will greatly improve taste so worth it IMHO.

http://www.lazada.co.th/colandas-ro-50g-459200.html

spd_20110515154956_b.jpg

Am I correct that this one in the picture uses electric because it has uv and a storage tank?  

And is this one basically the same but does not have uv and the storage tank http://www.lazada.co.th/colandas-5-7874749.html

Also what does a resign filter do like this one http://www.lazada.co.th/colandas-6-premium-resin-filter-pp-5-2-2423927.html

No that would not be correct - my posted unit does not use UV - but any home type RO filter must have electric to power the motor doing the RO process.  The second unit you link has no RO filter - it will remove most taste and dirt but unless water source is normally drinkable would not depend on it alone for safety.   The more expensive unit has a better filter to remove particles from water - but again is not RO and would not depend on it for suspect water.

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

No that would not be correct - my posted unit does not use UV - but any home type RO filter must have electric to power the motor doing the RO process.  The second unit you link has no RO filter - it will remove most taste and dirt but unless water source is normally drinkable would not depend on it alone for safety.   The more expensive unit has a better filter to remove particles from water - but again is not RO and would not depend on it for suspect water.

Thanks so much for explaining this

I use a Pure system with UV, which sits under my sink in the kitchen.

I filter all water into the house through a 5 micron sediment filter then carbon filter to remove gross contamination.

The black connect on top of capsule 5 is the electrical connection for the UV lamp which screws inside the body of the capsule.

In the past 3 years of using this particular unit, I've changed the filter capsules approx annually, and the UV lamp once...but that was due to 'pilot error', when I dropped it on the floor during a filter change!

Pure Filter.jpg

On 8/16/2016 at 11:36 AM, Kwasaki said:

Have tried several types and now one with 3 filter cylinders but have to run water through it for a while before storing.

It's OK for taste when boiled for hot drinks but for me not as drinking water, my guess is it will depend on how good your tap water supply is.

I would say find a shop to demonstrate the filters competence, maybe the most expensive ones are the best you can buy.

Better use 5 Stage filter , this contains a Taste & Odor Remover which the 3 stage might be missing. 

This is what we have and its really good to drink.

Better get a 7 Stage though, i was told so by a Thai friend too.

4 hours ago, aquario33 said:

Better use 5 Stage filter , this contains a Taste & Odor Remover which the 3 stage might be missing. 

This is what we have and its really good to drink.

Better get a 7 Stage though, i was told so by a Thai friend too.

l'm waiting for stage 9 to come out. :lol:

Seriously l'm not that bothered nor is the Mrs and she is the one who drinks a lot of water,  l put lemon & orange flavouring in water l drink or it's boiled for tea etc. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest that if you get an RO system, you get one with a bladder tank. Most home RO systems have very low flow rates and the bladder tanks speed things up considerably.

If your water supply is chlorinated, you probably don't need a UV module.

If you have good water pressure, then you probably don't need a booster pump.

14 hours ago, Pacificperson said:

I would suggest that if you get an RO system, you get one with a bladder tank. Most home RO systems have very low flow rates and the bladder tanks speed things up considerably.

If your water supply is chlorinated, you probably don't need a UV module.

If you have good water pressure, then you probably don't need a booster pump.

Agree completely - the unit I posted does have such a tank although not shown well in photo.  

• 1 year later...

I purchased an RO system here about 15 years ago made by a now defunct company in the US.  The filters were changed on a regular basis and had the greatest tasting water until my regular tech moved out of town.  Now the filters have been changed, including the membrane. but the water does not have that good taste anymore.  I live in the Saphan Kwai area and wonder if anyone else has had a similar problem.  The company I bought it from is still in business, they have changed filters and when I complained, they sent a tech out who then told me there was no problem with the water taste.  Even my Maa Bahn does not like the water now, she used to fill up some bottles for her own use and does not do it any more.

I enjoy drinking good water and most of the bottled water here really s**ks so am not drinking as much as I should.  Any thoughts or suggestions besides the usual sarcastic ones about buying a new unit after so many years?  Buying a new unit is no problem but how do I know what the taste will be like?

• 7 months later...

I moved into a condo with one of those under-sink UV filters. When I moved in they made a big deal out of bringing in some "technician" to install new filters and everything. Let me give you a second to guess what happened after they left.

Yeah, you nailed it. Used the thing for 3 months until one day I was searching for something under another cabinet and noticed the cord running through a hole in the cabinet wall to the filter. Cord was plugged in. Power was off. I'd been drinking unfiltered tap water for 3 months. Maintenance must not have been consciously aware that to service such a unit, it must be turned off in order for you not to electrocute yourself, but then turned on again after you're finished, to actually function.

I should have known better. Reminds me of the time when an apartment maintenance guy came to fix a water tap in my bathroom wall. Sat there for 45 minutes scratching his head and attempting to do things that obviously would not work before I told him to just leave the parts and I'd get it done myself. I've never even messed with plumbing before and I had it done.

Says more about the poor staffing decisions at these places than it does about Thai intelligence, but anyway, TIT.

I did a lot of research into filtration years and years ago. To do it properly (hard to filter chemicals, there are lots of them that the "do it all" filters vendors don't tell you about) I quickly realised that it's no more costly and probably a hell of a lot more convenient to just buy bulk packs of Nestle bottles et al. I don't have to worry about filter maintenance. I don't have to think about this that or the other. I know I'm not spending any more than I would have if I did my own filtration.

23 hours ago, NilSS said:

I quickly realised that it's no more costly and probably a hell of a lot more convenient to just buy bulk packs of Nestle bottles et al. I don't have to worry about filter maintenance. I don't have to think about this that or the other. I know I'm not spending any more than I would have if I did my own filtration.

And by buying thousands of plastic bottles over time you are not worrying about climate change, pollution and litter either. Don't you have somebody in your area that brings the big refillable and reuseable glass bottles ? They bring it to you, so even more convenient, and usually cheaper than buying bottles at the 7/11.

On 3/20/2018 at 12:43 AM, snooky said:

Now the filters have been changed, including the membrane

You might want to put in a new bladder tank, maybe it got contaminated by the new filters (defective filter maybe ?) https://www.duan-daw.com/ this is the place to buy your filters and any other parts you need. Sediment filter 27 baht and up/carbon filter 60 baht and up, ceramic filter 90 baht and up, resin filter 100 baht and up, ro filter 470 and up, carbon after filter 80 baht and up. I replace my sediment every month and the others every six months. All filters for around 1000 baht with shipping. I got tired of buying bottled water which even at do home which is the cheapest still way too expensive, And all those bottles filling up bags taking up space then to the recycler is just ridiculous. If you go to a water filter store you can get a good ro system from 4K baht and up. The more expensive ones will have a better quality pump such as a sureflow brand to boost the poor water pressure here in thailand for the ro filter. mine I bought from lazada about two years ago and still working great even with a generic booster pump.

On 10/30/2018 at 3:29 PM, jackspade said:

I moved into a condo with one of those under-sink UV filters

Uv filters kill off the harmful bacteria in the water, but i worry more about the chemicals in the water as I am surrounded by farms. My tds before filtering is 470 ppm after filter its down to 35. And the combo of carbon-ceramic-ro there is no cleaner water you can drink. Okay so alot of the good minerals are gone too but thats why I take a multi vitamin every so often.

• 2 weeks later...

The OP just mentions water for drinking.  IMO it's a lot less expensive in the long run to just get a water cooler (forget the hot/cold ones) and get the local guy to deliver the 20 liter jugs (here just 10 baht).  Filters are an expensive pain in the ass and never really sure when they need to be changed.

On 10/31/2018 at 10:54 PM, observer90210 said:

Any expert tips on the Mazuma filters ?

If you mean the large cylinder type filters (I'm no expert),  backwash the carbon cylinders once a week and recharge the resin cylinder with salt every month or so.

If you mean the Mazuma RO sinktop filters we returned ours due to the massive amount of waste water and the fact I lost my voice (for 3 months) after drinking the RO water.

We got an eSpring filter in the office, works a treat and filters are changed annually.

Also have the carbon and resin cylinder filters for the house.

Water is borehole water. 

Archived