Fixed my Ranger again!

garyk

My Ranger is a running joke with me. Since I am retired I find it fun to try to figure out the problems with the truck when they arise.

Finally got a manual from Australia for it. Wow, that was a major help.

History - 2009 Ford Ranger 2.5 turbo diesel. I have owned it since 2009.  296,000 Km.

This is what happened the last time I went to the Ford dealer. 

Made appointment told them, it would die occasionally. Explained the experiences.

Left the truck with Ford service.

Got a call saying it was the fuel rail(13,500 baht)... LOL  For 5 years every time I have taken it in they hook a computer to it, and tell me it is a fuel rail problem.

Armed with a little info and paper work. I said I had already replaced the fuel rail twice and it did not fix the problem.  Technicians Answer was, computer says fuel rail... 

I read the manual before hand and was pretty sure what the problem was. SO.

I asked if there was any other sensors that was tied to the fuel rail system? Answer Yes, but the computer said it is the fuel rail.. :)

What is the other sensor? Technician say's the transmission sensor. But, the computer said it is the fuel rail....

What are the symptoms of a faulty transmission sensor? Technician explained the symptoms. I said that is the exact problem I am having. Technician said it cannot be because the computer said it was the fuel rail. LOL. 

I will tell you i try to never get mad in Thailand. I am always nice and try my best to get along with the Thai's. But, at this point I am getting tickled. Not laughing out loud but tickled.

To make a long story a little shorter. He took me to the truck and hooked up the computer and said look it is a fuel rail problem. It was in Thai and I had no idea what I was looking at.

I told him I wanted to replace the transmission sensor, he said it was the FUEL RIAL and pointed at the computer... LOL 

Anyway, after about an hour he replace the transmission sensor, 3,500 baht and the truck runs as good as the day I first drove it. Beautifully.

I thought it was funny, just a little Ford service humor... :)

I'm starting to look forward to problems now. It gives me something to do in my spare time... LOL

The first one I bought and they would not give my money back, so got burned.. The second time it turned out to be a leak in the fuel rain return line.
The second one I bought I made them give my money back. 
Not a big problem for me at this stage. Kinda annoying though. 

Not a word from him and i did not press it. 

IMO these older Ford Rangers are some pretty tough trucks. The problem I have with Ford, is Ford service at the dealers. I avoid them when ever possible. They are good for brakes, belts, and all routine maintenance. But, then so are most mechanics in Thailand, and at less than half the price. Just not worth it what so ever IMO. Some things you have to go to the dealer for, the rest I get done else where. 

Today I drove into a local shop and had new brakes put on, The tires rotated, and the oil changed in the rear end. 1,250 baht. At the Ford dealer it would of cost a fortune. Not worth it.

On 8/17/2016 at 4:57 PM, garyk said:

Not a word from him and i did not press it. 

IMO these older Ford Rangers are some pretty tough trucks. The problem I have with Ford, is Ford service at the dealers. I avoid them when ever possible. They are good for brakes, belts, and all routine maintenance. But, then so are most mechanics in Thailand, and at less than half the price. Just not worth it what so ever IMO. Some things you have to go to the dealer for, the rest I get done else where. 

Today I drove into a local shop and had new brakes put on, The tires rotated, and the oil changed in the rear end. 1,250 baht. At the Ford dealer it would of cost a fortune. Not worth it.

Personally, I've got better things to do with my time then deal with incompetence. Ford makes good products with exception to the Fiesta debacle, however, dealing with ford Thailand after sales service idiocy is something I can most certainly live without.

16 hours ago, fullcave said:

Personally, I've got better things to do with my time then deal with incompetence. Ford makes good products with exception to the Fiesta debacle, however, dealing with ford Thailand after sales service idiocy is something I can most certainly live without.

What do you do other than sell and buy another brand! I honestly do not know if the other dealers are better? After 7 years with this Ford. My advice is if you buy one, buy one with the least amount of technology in it as possible. And, learn to do some basic trouble shooting. 

Unless you have some pretty deep pockets. Or trade every few years.

I am driving mine until the wheel fall off of it. :)  

Archived