Swiss man murdered in Chiang Mai - found stabbed, strangled and tied to the banisters

webfact

Detectives plenty , and fair is fair T.I.T. and the environment we live in quickly triggers the Sherlock brigade to give their assessment on the case.

I am sorry to read this, as he didn't come here to die that way.

no mentioning of family so how lonely can one die.

R.I.P.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Oscar2 said:

amazing. people come from a country with a very high standard of living only to live in a rented hovel like that.

The man has just been brutally murdered and your  main concern is that he didn't live up to your expectations!!!

2 hours ago, DLang said:

Indeed.

Your rent doesn't only include the quality of your abode, it includes the quality of your neighbors.

A neighborly dispute with some angry, resentful Thai that he refused to give into then disrespected, certainly isn't out of the question.

Resentful = jealous

Disrespected = stood up to

Sounds like you're defending his killers. 

1 hour ago, malcoml said:

In my country on the very rare occasion a foreigner is murdured it makes nation news for weeks and people are horrified.

it seems every time I'm open Thai visa another foreigner is murdured.

what is happening in Thailand.

Yes, I often think about that. I'm from Australia and our largest group of tourists are Chinese. If a Chinese man was found murdered like this Swiss man it would be national news and a large manhunt would take place to catch the culprit. But if 2 or 3 Chinese (or other nationality tourists were killed/murdered in one week, there would be a global outrage. What the hell is going on in Australia??? The government would need to step in and make apologies and scores of promises. The police would be ordered to work overtime and put an immediate stop. 

But here in LOS who gives a rat's?

RIP Daniel Rudolf.

1 hour ago, malcoml said:

In my country on the very rare occasion a foreigner is murdured it makes nation news for weeks and people are horrified.

It's a case of the very rich falang  (by Thai standards at least) versus the very poor. There is a huge chasm between even a poor falang (by falang standards) and a poor thai (by thai standards).Not all falangs swagger around pretending to be hi-so's

2 hours ago, hansnl said:

There are always people not standing on decorum, content with a simple home.

Maybe you prefer a palace and can pay for it, there are also those not too rich, not wanting to show off.

yes, sometimes get some Thais  come here and say "your house is  very small"..........expecting a mansion maybe but the  land is  big, how many rooms can you live in?

3 hours ago, Chapelroad said:

Strange comment.

So you think everyone in Switzerland lives in a property worth millions of Francs ?

it may not be be worth millions of francs but the houses are neat and clean. the swiss are very house proud.

3 hours ago, mcfish said:

Generally when people brag about cheap rent its usually surrounded by thais in low class area and think it makes them an easy target.

RIP nobody should die such a brutal death

amazing when someone think that all people coming from a high developed country are rich..  

One of the problems is, even when the murderers are caught, their sentence is often not reported. Most Thais believe if a foreigner is killed there will be no prosecution. Their families are not able to come from their countries for up to 2 years to see a trial through. There are so many murders of foreigner, the police have given up trying to investigate. Wipe one floor and move on to the next. I can't imagine there is a  country in the world with so many unresolved murders of expats. Would love to see a sixty minutes programme of it. Unfortunately someone would probably kill the director. 

another tragedy

2 minutes ago, Hardy99 said:

amazing when someone think that all people coming from a high developed country are rich..  

cheap is relative and i can assure you that to a swiss  even a condo in sukhumit is cheap.

in in this instance a relationship issue seems to have brought about a brutal end.

the problems are greed and laziness always looking for the easy baht. What an awful death for the poor man who came to a beautiful country to retire dont forget you get excuses for human beings in every country. R.I.P poor man and condolences to his family. Hope they catch the perp or perps

3 hours ago, Oscar2 said:

amazing. people come from a country with a very high standard of living only to live in a rented hovel like that.

That's a fairly ignorant comment as many have already pointed out, but you have no idea of the man's budget. For the same price as his "hovel" over here, as you called it, he probably wouldn't be able to afford a place to rent in his home country. He'd probably have to share with others in some dump. It is certainly that way in Australia. You get about 4 times the value for money over here in rentals.

There are loads of Farlangs being murdered in Thailand each year, many we don`t even hear about. My guess probably in the hundreds.

If people come here to retire then that`s exactly what they should do, retire, get on with their business of retirement and don`t step beyond that. If they cannot afford to live in Thailand on their retirement incomes alone, then they should stay home where they are safe and not vulnerable.

Farlangs should not be lone wolves in Thailand, they need the support of being a part of a Thai family or close friends to help guide them along the way here, especially for Farlangs that can`t speak the lingo.

RIP Swiss guy, he must have suffered a terrifying ordeal.

Some unkind comments on his place of residence .He lived there for six years so must have been satisfied with the location .Regardless he did not deserve to end his days like this Probably did not give the info like pin numbers etc and was tortured.

Hope they find the murders quickly

4 hours ago, HooHaa said:

bound, beaten, strangled and stabbed. Doesn't sound personal at all.

1 hour ago, Bender said:

so in these last weeks,  3  Swedish were murdered, one guy from India, another one from Africa, and today this Swiss guy, plethora of foreigners have committed suicide jumping from balcony and plethora of elderly foreigners have been heavily beaten....

And dont forget that most crimes are covered or under reported..... This country is a death trap.  

Every time, i log on thaivisa, i only read horror stories.

Sorry to say, but I agree 100%.

I used to live in Chiang Mai but now in Hua Hin because wife is from Hua Hin.

On my last visit back to Chiang Mai I was talking to a friend who is quite old who has still has the odd tipple. Been in Chiang Mai years and years and never got into trouble with girls or any other trouble.

Two girls took him shopping in their car after visiting his apartment, clubbed him on the head and tried to wrap him up in plastic, he managed to talk his way out of it by telling them it was all on CCTV and that they would spend many years in Jail, they also demanded a million Bht which he told them he never had, that sort of money.

These were Uni student girls, thankfully they chickened out and disaapeared, and he has not seen them since.

Now heres one guy Ive known 12 years and admired his ability to never have anybother with anyone.

Just about everone I know now in LOS has a story to tell, myself over the last16 years have had  a colse shave with a no good girl and her mangda.

I have learnt a lot about survival in LOS, the main poroblem is that it remains an unknown quantity, my bet is the swede may have had some fullfiment going on and a similar situation accured like my friends only this one went the whole way, and for what? a bike and a few odd bits and pieces, Thailand is now Dangerous or has become very dangerous now.Put a lot of that down to Methaemphetamine, and other drugs, low unemployment becuause of Burmese slaves, Thais without jobs or purpose and corruption in the army and police.

32 minutes ago, rubyjuan said:

I tell ya, Thailand has gone south.....awful news about this guy.  I am sure he was just trying to live his life....

Why are you sure?

Maybe he was a belligerent, quick to anger curmudgeon who just pissed off the wrong neighbour.

The perception of the Western victim as a quiet, harmless old boy who likes gardening and the odd game of bridge is a fallacy.

The Swedish bloke who was smoked the other day was evidently a boisterous loud-mouth who went around insulting his neighbour's wife and managed two divorces in a few years.

I think that is time that the Thai Police allowed us lang stay foreigners to carry weapons including a firearm. This guy had obviously lived quietly in his house for some years. (Just as I have)

3 hours ago, malcoml said:

it is going downhill........fast

29 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

Sorry to say, but I agree 100%.

I used to live in Chiang Mai but now in Hua Hin because wife is from Hua Hin.

On my last visit back to Chiang Mai I was talking to a friend who is quite old who has still has the odd tipple. Been in Chiang Mai years and years and never got into trouble with girls or any other trouble.

Two girls took him shopping in their car after visiting his apartment, clubbed him on the head and tried to wrap him up in plastic, he managed to talk his way out of it by telling them it was all on CCTV and that they would spend many years in Jail, they also demanded a million Bht which he told them he never had, that sort of money.

These were Uni student girls, thankfully they chickened out and disaapeared, and he has not seen them since.

Now heres one guy Ive known 12 years and admired his ability to never have anybother with anyone.

Just about everone I know now in LOS has a story to tell, myself over the last16 years have had  a colse shave with a no good girl and her mangda.

I have learnt a lot about survival in LOS, the main poroblem is that it remains an unknown quantity, my bet is the swede may have had some fullfiment going on and a similar situation accured like my friends only this one went the whole way, and for what? a bike and a few odd bits and pieces, Thailand is now Dangerous or has become very dangerous now.Put a lot of that down to Methaemphetamine, and other drugs, low unemployment becuause of Burmese slaves, Thais without jobs or purpose and corruption in the army and police.

i totally agree.......I have never had any trouble in Chiang Mai, or here in Hua Hin, but I will be going back to europe when the money I have transferred here runs out in a year or so.........its gone downhill big time in the year I have been here so far.  Such a shame.......so many nice people here, but the bad ones are making it too unstable here.

According to Thai Rath online the police found a will typed in his bedroom dated August 10th giving his motorbike and all his assets to a foreign friend in Chiang Mai. The police are rather confident it was suicide because there was no sign of forced entry or any possessions disturbed.   

While I agree that there are some foreigners who abuse the local people; act in an arrogant manner and are generally poor neighbors- violence is never the answer.  May the deceased RIP.

I do know one thing- never get in any confrontation with a Thai person and if possible never do business with them. There have been so many situations in which foreigners have in some way allegedly slighted a Thai person and violence has ensued.  It really is time for the police to start documenting the results of these crimes and communicating loudly and clearly that violence against anyone will not be tolerated. In addition, the courts need to send the same message and start giving out very harsh prison sentences as a deterrent. 

In addition where are the foreign embassies in this. They need to warn their nationals about crime in Thailand and if the police are not doing their duty start placing travel warnings about coming to Thailand. Once these are in place, and the tourist industry is threatened, there maybe some stricter law enforcement.

4 hours ago, Oscar2 said:

Personal choice is exactly that

After all he was there for around six years

I hope they were mostly good years

RIP

Archived