Swiss man murdered in Chiang Mai - found stabbed, strangled and tied to the banisters

webfact

If you want to live on your own please do not rent a house , no security around you , only Thai neighbors that you most probably never will make contact with unless you speak Thai.  

Much better to rent in a condo complex , you will have a mix of nationalities around you , security guards, CCTV so it will be a lot harder for anyone to break into your room .  JM2C.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Foreigners living here always will be a target. You will be amazed how many Thai people, specially the wrong ones, knows that most retired foreigners need to have good money on its bank account to get the visa extension.

2 hours ago, bannork said:

According to Thai Rath online the police found a will typed in his bedroom dated August 10th giving his motorbike and all his assets to a foreign friend in Chiang Mai. The police are rather confident it was suicide because there was no sign of forced entry or any possessions disturbed.   

Similar news in TV.

An interesting turn.

Another suicide :blink:

How do you align that with the report in the OP?

47 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Similar news in TV.

An interesting turn.

Another suicide :blink:

How do you align that with the report in the OP?

I don't know, but what is certain is Thai Visa now goes for any sensationalist headline it can to get hits.

3 hours ago, indyuk said:

I think that is time that the Thai Police allowed us lang stay foreigners to carry weapons including a firearm. This guy had obviously lived quietly in his house for some years. (Just as I have)

Bwaaahahahahahahahahaha

Yeah ok, mate

I have said this before but I was coming to Thailand, to chaung mai but I keep seeing foreigners being beaten robbed and killed. Its not a safe country now that's for sure. Big shame. Thailand will have travel warnings very soon then tourism will suffer. Really a shame

6 hours ago, Agent Sumo said:

Maybe his neighbour was an angry, resentful farang

In Thailand very possible, seen it on a few occasions and each being from a different Caucasian (Western) country.

In the early days (fifty years ago) lived in single house in the country but when the locals started crowding in decided to move into a complex owned 50% by foreigners (Westerners) I have nothing against Thais but that is not always  how it is with Thais and a Farang.   The word Farang comes from the word Francais.

The word “farang” the Thais bastardized from the French word “Francais” which they heard the French speak when the French controlled Indochina and the Thais hated them. Which word the Thais pronounce as

Fa‑rang‑sed

Which the Thais then shortened to “farang”.

If Thais are polite they refer to the country of the person i.e. like they do with a person from Japan, "Khun yipoon, China Khun cheen, English Khun anglish, American Khun sahalat and so forth.

Unfortunately nearly all Western foreigners think the word Farang is a honorary title bestowed by the Thais on Caucasians.

Have a nice time in LOS.

8 hours ago, douglasspade said:

He could as well have been alive 12 hours ago. I guess he bled out and did not pass directly from strangulation. Used to interrogate the victim to give up his pot of gold. My guess is a planned robbery gone wrong.

Well, you joined the club quickly, didn't you?  Just ignore what those actually involved in the case said and speculate dramatically, much better idea.

6 hours ago, greenchair said:

One of the problems is, even when the murderers are caught, their sentence is often not reported. Most Thais believe if a foreigner is killed there will be no prosecution. Their families are not able to come from their countries for up to 2 years to see a trial through. There are so many murders of foreigner, the police have given up trying to investigate. Wipe one floor and move on to the next. I can't imagine there is a  country in the world with so many unresolved murders of expats. Would love to see a sixty minutes programme of it. Unfortunately someone would probably kill the director. 

So, go on, how many unsolved murders of expats are there, you must have an idea just to have mentioned it?  

You reckon that the police don't investigate murder when there is a foreign victim because there are so many of them?  Ridiculous statement.

6 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

There are loads of Farlangs being murdered in Thailand each year, many we don`t even hear about. My guess probably in the hundreds.

Ridiculous comment, if no one hears about these "hundreds of murders" how do you know that they happen?  If they're not reported then you wouldn't know about them, would you?

5 hours ago, indyuk said:

I think that is time that the Thai Police allowed us lang stay foreigners to carry weapons including a firearm. This guy had obviously lived quietly in his house for some years. (Just as I have)

You have as much right to carry a weapon as any Thai, all you have to do is apply for a licence in the same way as a Thai has to.

7 hours ago, jippytum said:

nkind comment  of residence  .He lived the,re for six years so must have dsfied with the location eg ardless he did not deserv.e to end his days like this Probably did not give the info like pin numbers etc and was tortured.

Hope they find the murders quickly

Totally agree with your remarks.

From what i know of the area, Suan Dok Rd, in Suthep, has many fine facillities inc hospitals, government and private, a large well equipped modern dental complex, all of which are served by highly qulified experts and serve as the training/internship facilities for the Chiang Mai University medical students. The area is a far cry from the one assumed and degrenigated in earlier posts.

Also, assumed by pervious is the nationality and general make up of the perpertrators, who have yet to be announced by the police. OK, maybe the odds are in v fafvour, re the nationalities, but the outstanding ommissions in most replies, is the lack of remorse and compassion towards the victim, his friends and his family. This is recurrent on tv.

May he RIP

4 hours ago, swerver said:

In Thailand .very possible, sw occ and each beingfauls from a diffbiasederent Caucasian (Western) country.

In the early days (fifty years ago) lived in single house in the country but when the locals started crowding in decided to move into a complex owned 50% by foreigners (Westerners) I have nothing against Thais but that is not always  how it is with Thais and a Farang.   The word Farang comes from the word Francais.

The word “farang” the Thais bastardized from the French word “Francais” which they heard the French speak when the French controlled Indochina and the Thais hated them. Which word the Thais pronounce as

Fa‑rang‑sed

Which the Thais then shortened to “farang”.

If Thais are polite they refer to the country of the person i.e. like they do with a person from Japan, "Khun yipoon, China Khun cheen, English Khun anglish, American Khun sahalat and so forth.

Unfortunately nearly all Western foreigners think the word Farang is a honorary title bestowed by the Thais on Caucasians.

Have a nice time in LOS.

You seem to take some well known facts, but then, unfortunately you let your own biased thoughts and interpretations mould them into something that you wish to have others faulsly believe. Hence it became misinfomation. I think you already know this.

4 hours ago, gdgbb said:

Ridiculous comment, if no one hears about these "hundreds of murders" how do you know that they happen?  If they're not reported then you wouldn't know about them, would you?

I didn't say hundreds, I said many. 

I didn't say they are not reported, I said we often don't hear about them, meaning people need to read every newspaper 3 or 4 times a day to keep up with all the "suicides ".

So if you miss a day, you would not hear about that one. There is barely a day goes by that a murder /suicide is not reported. 

Ridiculous to say otherwise. 

In fact there are so many,  a website has been created to try to keep count. It needs to be updated weekly. 

People, show some respect please. This is my friend and they have his last name wrong. He was the kindest most genuine person you could ever meet. He loved books and his motorcycles. He moved to Thailand to enjoy retirement and this is how his life ended. His friends hearts are broken, so please show some respect for Danny.  AND TRUST ME THIS WAS NOT SUICIDE! You can ask ANYONE who knows him!!!!!! 

Archived