Swiss man murdered in Chiang Mai - found stabbed, strangled and tied to the banisters

webfact

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, gdgbb said:

You have as much right to carry a weapon as any Thai, all you have to do is apply for a licence in the same way as a Thai has to.

You must be from Texas (Like Me) Just go buy one hot from some Burmese refugee and ONLY keep it in your house for protection..

21 hours ago, mcfish said:

Generally when people brag about cheap rent its usually surrounded by thais in low class area and think it makes them an easy target.

RIP nobody should die such a brutal death

Agreed.  Security is the first thing cut when reducing living expenses.  I went from a place that had layers of security including, barbed wire, spiked walls, steel gates and cameras.  I left the parking area gate open 1 NIGHT IN TWO YEARS.  The next day the owner showed me images captured on the security cams of two Thais sniffing around my bike.  I have since left there and lost some of those features and wish I still had them all.  I am getting dog in the near future also as they are notoriously good deterrents.  And I ain't talking about no teacup chihuahua.

2 hours ago, njhorn2000 said:

Yeah,  it was rough being raised on the mean streets of the Zurich ghetto..

Not everyone from Switzerland are from Zurich and Danny was not from Zurich.  Why don't you people stop and realize a man's life has been taken. He had family and friends that loved him dearly. We will all have a hole in our lives where Danny is now missing. He was a gentle soul, kind in his manners, loved to cook, loved to read, and enjoyed the simple things in life. He loved Thailand and moved there for a more simplistic life because that is who Danny was. He loved the Thai people and often raved about how amazing it was to live there. And I am NOT sure why the media has his name incorrect!! It is not Danny Rudolf!! His name was Danny Straub. And if they are going simply on what that will was stating, then it is proof he signed it with the wrong last name to debunk the will and leave some kind of clue for those behind. 

23 hours ago, Bung said:

Just as easy for a woman and her "brother" to do this. Either way,  someone was probably angry enough about money not forth coming to do this.  Stupid to steal the bike,  makes it easier to catch them but they're most likely looking to sell it for quick cash

Or maybe just for parts.

13 hours ago, gdgbb said:

You have as much right to carry a weapon as any Thai, all you have to do is apply for a licence in the same way as a Thai has to.

Technically that is true but in practice they will not normally issue permits to foreigners unless they have permanent residence, are accredited diplomats or seconded from overseas law enforcement agencies like the DEA.  It also depends on the policy of the governor of the province you like in, as they are free to set stricter (but not easier) regulations than those prescribed in the Firearms Act, depending on the situation in their province, as they perceive it.  Bangkok is normally regarded as the easiest because licensing is not under the BMA governor (obviously considered unreliable because he is elected not appointed) but directly under the Interior Ministry which generally administers the letter of the Firearms Act without too much modification.  The logic of the policy re PRs is hard to argue with because all other foreigners are on temporary visas which makes it hard to justify a firearm.

I have had Por 4 permits since 1997, soon after getting PR.  Reading this sort of story I must say I feel safer having a .38 revolver loaded with hollow points handy in the house.  It is not a guarantee, if you are taken by surprise, but with a few seconds warning, I can be ready to face a threat.  A revolver will never jam, as a semi-auto might.  If it fails to fire (it never has at the range), just pull the trigger again and the chances are it will go bang the second time.  The .38 hollow points will stop most threats with limited risk of harming others through overpenetration.  You are not likely to permanently deafen yourself with a .38, as might be the case, if you chose a shotgun as home defence weapon (also rather bulky), although I accept there many other advantages of shotguns loaded with buckshot.  Also handy to have a tactical flashlight available, so you can see the threat clearly but he will be temporarily blinded. 

1 hour ago, skyflyingj said:

Not everyone from Switzerland are from Zurich and Danny was not from Zurich.  Why don't you people stop and realize a man's life has been taken. He had family and friends that loved him dearly. We will all have a hole in our lives where Danny is now missing. He was a gentle soul, kind in his manners, loved to cook, loved to read, and enjoyed the simple things in life. He loved Thailand and moved there for a more simplistic life because that is who Danny was. He loved the Thai people and often raved about how amazing it was to live there. And I am NOT sure why the media has his name incorrect!! It is not Danny Rudolf!! His name was Danny Straub. And if they are going simply on what that will was stating, then it is proof he signed it with the wrong last name to debunk the will and leave some kind of clue for those behind. 

excellent observation!

truly sorry about the loss of your friend.

22 hours ago, Agent Sumo said:

Maybe his neighbour was an angry, resentful farang

Oh come on. No way

Everyone knows that falangs in Thailand are a most peaceful, respectful sort with no gripes or hostility towards the locals or their fellow expatriates

The victim's assailant simply must have been a Thai - they hate us

Danny Straub was on facebook and his last public post from  June  could tell us something .  He shared a video about Robin Willliams.

But I really hope they will get to the bottom of his mysterious death. 

4 hours ago, skyflyingj said:

not buying it. this is your second post but you and the deceased go way back?

You just found tv today? so many trolls post on the dead farang threads scolding posters and always just signed up.sick if you ask me

1 hour ago, mcfish said:

You just found tv today? so many trolls post on the dead farang threads scolding posters and always just signed up.sick if you ask me

Could be like that...then agsin could be someone who is a member here at TVF was a mutual acquaintence of both Danny and this new member and told him some of the crap being spoken here so he signed up to speak his peace about a dead friend. 

How is one to know?

He did provide the real last name. 

5 hours ago, mcfish said:

Most of Danny's friends are not from Thailand but rather from Basel and the U.S. and we don't normally read articles from local papers. We all kept up with one another through email and through Google plus.

A mutal friend called me and told me about Danny's death (he lived with Danny in Thailand for a while) and directed me to go read the articles and I was appauled at the utter disrespect from some individuals. So I signed up to voice my thoughts and correct the misinformation about his last name and to give a voice from Danny's friends and not just from the trolls stating such disrespect.

Anyone who knew Danny would know his love of books, food, friends, family, motorcycles, and life was his driving force in life.

Responding to individuals like you isn't necessary but I will not have Danny disrespected in death. And I will voice my love and respect to him because he deserves it especially with the way his life was taken while he merely tried to enjoy a simple retired life in Thailand.

I'm also going to place a photo with this so people can see his beautiful smile and know Danny was a person and not just some article to bash.

I ask again for others to please show some respect for Danny Straub. May our friend Rest In Peace.

tmp_2229-IMG_7071218369514.JPG

Remember, ONLINE we can really only judge on a few metrics:  money is the biggest.  so it's just super easy to say , "these POOR people need to go home....."   or "the 1% are all criminals!!!"

if Newton died, we would all talk about that loser being poor........

i think we are all smart enough to know there is more to a person than money, but we need funny posts that come quick.....i bet some post and never think someone died, family hurt, etc....they just post....nothing we can really do about this mentally, as they will always be there...

20 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Technically that is true but in practice they will not normally issue permits to foreigners unless they have permanent residence, are accredited diplomats or seconded from overseas law enforcement agencies like the DEA.  It also depends on the policy of the governor of the province you like in, as they are free to set stricter (but not easier) regulations than those prescribed in the Firearms Act, depending on the situation in their province, as they perceive it.  Bangkok is normally regarded as the easiest because licensing is not under the BMA governor (obviously considered unreliable because he is elected not appointed) but directly under the Interior Ministry which generally administers the letter of the Firearms Act without too much modification.  The logic of the policy re PRs is hard to argue with because all other foreigners are on temporary visas which makes it hard to justify a firearm.

I have had Por 4 permits since 1997, soon after getting PR.  Reading this sort of story I must say I feel safer having a .38 revolver loaded with hollow points handy in the house.  It is not a guarantee, if you are taken by surprise, but with a few seconds warning, I can be ready to face a threat.  A revolver will never jam, as a semi-auto might.  If it fails to fire (it never has at the range), just pull the trigger again and the chances are it will go bang the second time.  The .38 hollow points will stop most threats with limited risk of harming others through overpenetration.  You are not likely to permanently deafen yourself with a .38, as might be the case, if you chose a shotgun as home defence weapon (also rather bulky), although I accept there many other advantages of shotguns loaded with buckshot.  Also handy to have a tactical flashlight available, so you can see the threat clearly but he will be temporarily blinded. 

If you feel you need a firearm here..then multiply that need by 10 times if you lived where I did in the USA.   Property crimes (breaking -in) were common.

That clears up why people want to protect themselves in their homes.

Certain elements of this story the anonymous "friend" told about Daniel are reminding me of the very poor lies that I find Thais seem famous for.  I wonder of this "friend" is also a friend of the friend that Daniel supposedly left his motorbike and other belongings to, and  the 400K baht insurance policy?  Not sure if that is real or not but I read about it.

On 8/17/2016 at 2:50 PM, Agent Sumo said:

Maybe his neighbour was an angry, resentful farang

Asian males, particularly those born into a monarchy structured society, are far more apt to commit murder (over the least significant issue), than those born into a republic. Just an observation:coffee1:

just an observation.

On 8/18/2016 at 0:22 PM, skyflyingj said:

Perhaps it was his naive "love" for Thai people that got your friend Danny murdered, eh? There's a logical reason why the Russians bring their own women to Thailand.:coffee1:

This sounds pretty preposterous, but sadly, not unexpected for Thailand:

Swiss man 'committed suicide' police claim.

Breaking News - The police claim they have new evidence that suggests the Swiss man found dead in his home yesterday in fact killed himself.

Despite original reports saying the man was found tied strangled and stabbed, the police now believe he did it to himself after evidence showing he had prepared for his death, by giving his assets to friends and writing a note saying he wanted his body donated to the local hospital.

The police said that the motorbike they thought was stolen was actually given to his friend in Chiang Mai, along with a watch. His Insurance was given to his brother in Switzerland to look after and over 200 books he owned were recently donated to a book shop on Tha Pae Road.

5 hours ago, Oscar2 said:

the Swiss army and had martial arts skills that could have easily taken down two or even three men. "He was well off, had plenty of money, was attractive to women," said the friend. "But no girlfriend right now as he was doing some academic research for an upcoming book. In fact, we were collaborating on a book. He had no enemies that I know of."

The friend, however, told police of one theory. Between one and a half and two years ago, he claims, Rudolf walked home to find two thieves breaking into his house. The thieves tried to attack him, but with martial arts sills, Rudolf ended up not just beating them up, but using martial arts nunchucks, continued to hit them as they crawled, both legs broken, out of the soi where he continued to him them. The friend suggests that this could be a revenge attack.

"That is speculation," he said. "But the fact is he was not in the least bit suicidal. I told the police that and I hope that they forget this suicide nonsense."

When presented this information, the police told CityNews that they have yet to rule out any conclusions, and are currently waiting for his close friends and family to fly to Thailand to testify about his emotional state prior to the death. They have also not received results from the coroner so a cause of death is yet to be established.

Just a simple thing:

The media reports say he had been stabbed. People who commit suicide rarely stab themselves (as opposed to wrist cutting). But if he had committed suicide, then the knife would have been there found at the scene.

On the other hand, if there was no knife found at the crime scene, that would certainly match with the presumption that he was murdered.

And through it all, neither of the above crappy news reports make any mention of whether or not a knife was found with the body -- not to mention, apparently misidentifying the victim.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived