Farang scene in Nakhon Phanom

AlanM

you might find that 'up here' the farang scene is somewhat limited as a lot of us live here because we are misanthropes - at least when our fellow light skinned species is concerned. the 'getting away from it all' thing seems to be prevalent with all farangs that i know.

(i live 55km south of nakhon phanom).

good luck

mft

I need to visit someday. A good friend of mine worked out of there with the Ravens back in the day. He wanted to know what was left of their old base. Yes, as to Agent Orange, he has problems from Agent Orange as do many of us. Because of the "secrecy", that part of the war long ago ceased to be secret, he fought for over 6 years to get his disablity. The VA denied the US had every been there. And yes, they used here in Thailand, everywhere Americans staged out of.

Good to know there is at least one place to go, although I don't mind going to the Thai places one bit.

There was a Lolita's there however not any more, bad luck! Across the road from the Fortune Viewkong Hotel there is a shophouse where a few westerners hang out and drink beer, no lady's but the owner has about fifteen dogs running amok, the crew there will steer you in the right direction.

||it it a fairly large town. I'm sure you won't be the 'only farang in the village' as the phrase goes. I'm also sure you'll get a few sarky replies along the lines of 'why go all that way just to seek out other foreigners?' 

However, as one who has lived out in the 'sticks' I can sympathise with the need for a little western company from time to time, especially during the football season. I'd say find out which bars show the Premier League (or Bundesliga)- or any of the Euro leagues) live games at weekends and use them as your starting point. When I lived in remotest Thailand the few bars in the nearest town which had the football were a magnet for all Westerners in the area and our weekly meets there were a boon for all and a good chance to have the craic with the locals too (unless they were Liverpool fans.....)

On 8/17/2016 at 9:29 PM, Issanman said:

The USAF cleared out of NKP over 40 years ago.

But I also would like to hear about any farang restaurants there because I live only about one hour away.

USAF had a base in NKP?  I only thought that the Marine Corps was there.  

I flew on a C-130 out of Bangkok heading to Udorn.  I fell asleep on the aircraft and woke up when it landed.  I looked out of the window and thought I was back in Vietnam.  Everything I saw looked like it was a Vietnam airstrip surrounded by the same tropical wooden barracks in Vietnam.  The landing strip was dirt!

Turns out the aircraft flew to NKP first then back down to Udorn.  

On 8/17/2016 at 6:29 PM, Issanman said:

The USAF cleared out of NKP over 40 years ago.

But I also would like to hehear about any farang restaurants there because I live only about one hour away.

THANKS  , for  the  recent  info ,   keep us informed , 

On 8/19/2016 at 1:06 PM, radiochaser said:

USAF had a base in NKP?  I only thought that the Marine Corps was there.  

I flew on a C-130 out of Bangkok heading to Udorn.  I fell asleep on the aircraft and woke up when it landed.  I looked out of the window and thought I was back in Vietnam.  Everything I saw looked like it was a Vietnam airstrip surrounded by the same tropical wooden barracks in Vietnam.  The landing strip was dirt!

Turns out the aircraft flew to NKP first then back down to Udorn.  

I was only at NKP at the very end so I'm not going to claim to be an expert on its full history.  Heard about the air commandos, A-1 Spads and things that go bump in the night, but missed hearing about a significant Marine presence.  It was Nam Phong in Khon Kaen province which the 1st MAW operated out of for a while.  At least by 1974, the runway was definitely paved and the hootches were well away from the runway.  The runway is still in use for commercial flights.  The housing and support areas have pretty well gone back to jungle.

'KOP' (three letter IATA code) has changed a bit over the years. she now has 3 or 4 different car hire companies, restaurants and i finally saw a taxi stand for the first time last friday when i picked up a friend.

but since my first flight there in 2005 i always thought that that airport appeared like a relic of a military conflict (that i know nothing about).

to all you veterans of those past days: Thank you very much for having been there.

cheers

mft

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't there (wrong passport and date of birth) but very keen interest in that conflict. You will find many airports in Thai (East and N East) were courtesy of our friends from the states. Udon Thani, Nakhon Ratchasima Are but two that i recall from the top of my head.

v

i also think ( not sure) that the big navy base down in Rayong area has its roots from the same source.

• 4 months later...
On 8/18/2016 at 0:34 PM, manfredtillmann said:

you might find that 'up here' the farang scene is somewhat limited as a lot of us live here because we are misanthropes - at least when our fellow light skinned species is concerned. the 'getting away from it all' thing seems to be prevalent with all farangs that i know.

(i live 55km south of nakhon phanom).

good luck

mft

Agree wholeheartedly. Most of the farang I know I would never associate back home so why should I hang out with them here?

I know 4 exceptions to this rule. Only 4. You know who you are.

Archived