Khao Sarn Road beating: British tourists get compensation, Thai bouncers jail

webfact

Well,  they got some good drinking money there for another week for just a couple of taps about the head. 

Moral of the story here then is always try to get footage of any crimes being committed upon yourself and get it onto Thai social media as quickly as possible.  It's seems the best way to get any justice and indeed,  a story here not long ago had police recommending this course of action to a couple of tourists seeking help at an airport. 

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

So you are saying it is perfectly reasonable for a bouncer to beat someone with a metal bar as they cower on the floor if that person is guilty of purposely spilling beer on the toilets?  What world do you live in?

You've put it perfectly, Shawn0000! Condoning such brutish behaviour is unconscionable.

Can understand the emotions n anger felt at the misbehaviour of the tourists but when will these thais bouncers learnt how to control themselves? I feel that there should be proper training for these security guards n bouncers on safety and how to handle misbehaving customers like securing n locking them down till the right authorities come in n then punish them with compensation or proper lawful charges n not practice their gang bang muay thai techinques every chance they get. 

I am slightly divided in this outcome. Yes those bouncers were in the wrong, there should be a better way to deal with rowdy foreigners.   Yet those Brits were acting inappropriately and did not heed the instructions of the pub management.

Both parties involved here should be fined, instead compensation money was flung out to the Brits? (maybe the hotel is worried about their booking.com rating) - This is the wrong image to send to foreigners. The Police are the law here, Tourist Police are here to assist, Bouncers are to bounce around to eliminate confrontation, and foreigners are here to enjoy themselves yet respect Thai foreign regulations.

Not defending anyone but seems to me "kicking someone when they're down" is normal in Thai culture. I'm basing this on multiple incident videos including Thai on Thai encounters. Be careful with Thai guys. Seems most are bombs waiting to go off.  As opposed to Thai girls who are the bomb waiting to get down.

3 hours ago, teacherpaul said:

You have absolutely no proof the tourists behaved that way. None whatsoever. Whereas the proof of the beating is on video. Stop defending them.

Wow, you're a teacher and you couldn't understand what he wrote?  God help your pupils, he was condemning the tourists, not defending them!

I can believe the  tourists were asking for trouble.And the compensation is  most likely agreed to to end the matter  with them.

The  suspended sentences  for the Thai  bouncers plus  dismissal is well justified due to the excessive extended attack on a prone victim.

Those that dismiss the excuse of throwing beer ignore the fact that these tourists obviously  ignored rejection by entering the premises via the  toilets. Whatever  behaviour they demonstrated was  clearly an provocative invitation . It worked.

if the tourists were guilty of any wrongdoing, the 2 British would be fined very big, thrown in IDC and deported.

The prime minister would hold a press conference, pointing how foreigners are nasty. 

How to add insult to injury : just claims that tourists were throwing beer... complete BS country! 

As i said, just send the video to all your family members , friends and social media.

the 2000 baht fine (for a heavy beating that led could to serious brain injury or death) is more shocking than the assault itself!

I don't know the rights and wrongs of the fight. The Thai kicking the Brit in the head is not a good look; however, we are in their culture, not ours. No doubt Thais think the Western habit of wiping our backsides with toilet paper is disgusting.

IMHO it's quite easy to feel safe in Thailand. Just don't behave like an idiot.

10 minutes ago, Hutch68 said:

Armando Rodriguez? British?

As far as many Thais are concerned, they're white, or white-ish so that's the discussion finished. Close enough is good enough, which is part of the reason why they're in the 3rd world, not the 1st world.

Winnie

6 minutes ago, bazza40 said:

I don't know the rights and wrongs of the fight. The Thai kicking the Brit in the head is not a good look; however, we are in their culture, not ours. No doubt Thais think the Western habit of wiping our backsides with toilet paper is disgusting.

IMHO it's quite easy to feel safe in Thailand. Just don't behave like an idiot.

When in Rome get yourself kicked in the head, the metal object he is hitting him with is actually a traditional Thai extending baton, he should consider himself lucky that he got to experience some genuine Thai culture, right?  You might note that the bouncers got the sack and have been given suspended prison sentences, I think you will find that that is more reflective of the Thai culture than the out of control thug.

6 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

If the Brits were the instigators they wouldn't have received compensation. Simples.

As usual, the Thais are trying to 'buy them off' in order to keep a lid on the incident and keep the bouncers out of jail. 

A very big over-reaction to a bunch of guys trying to get back to their hotel with beers. 

2000thb fines and suspended sentences are a complete joke for kicking people in the head and beating them with telescopic truncheons when they are on the ground though. Lip service to show they are doing something for the tourist industry.

We cannot expect anything different as the justice system such as it is in Thailand is completely broken and dysfunctional. 

Another nail in Thailands coffin as a tourist destination. LOS = land of scams, LOB = land of beatings, LOK = land of killings.

I'm not a Brit but I am still annoyed by the Brit bashing here- tourists from all nations get involved in this sort of thing. 

Edit: except Canadians- Canadians are quiet, unassuming, mellow, peace-loving people. :w00t:

4 minutes ago, bander said:

Another nail in Thailands coffin as a tourist destination. LOS = land of scams, LOB = land of beatings, LOK = land of killings.

Yep, one kicking in Khao San road and its the end of tourism in Thailand- lets strap on the tinfoil hats, eh?

5 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

I'm not a Brit but I am still annoyed by the Brit bashing here- tourists from all nations get involved in this sort of thing. 

Edit: except Canadians- Canadians are quiet, unassuming, mellow, peace-loving people. :w00t:

Until they are on the ice.

1 minute ago, Psimbo said:

Yep, one kicking in Khao San road and its the end of tourism in Thailand- lets strap on the tinfoil hats, eh?

Hardly an isolated incident, even Thais-on-tourists, Lots of Thais on Thais and Thais on Burmese as well, though this last is usually the Thai management on Burmese casual labourers.

Someone would have to be pretty determined not to see the way Thailand is going...

Winnie

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Again the famous Thai justice system is handing out fines and sentences that will teach the people to behave properly. Another powerful judge. LOL. Who are these guys? Is there a single judge in this country with cajones? A two month suspended sentence, and a $57 dollar fine? What can one even say? Yes, the Brits behaved poorly. But, these bouncers were pretty atrocious in their reaction. They gave these guys a good beatdown, it was caught on camera, there were a dozen witnesses or more, and the only consequence they face is losing their jobs? They probably got another job the next morning. 

This has to be one of the weakest judicial system on earth. It sometimes seems as if every judge in this country is hellbent on making sure nobody learns anything, ever. Another boil on the face of Thai justice. Another story gone viral about beatdowns of foreigners. And another example of how tone deaf the current batch of leaders are, when it comes to tourism. 

The bouncers were thug punks, who ganged up on these guys. Do it like a man and assault them one on one. No, they do the coward group thing, once again. And they get away with it. Once again. 

And the headline is incorrect. It says Thai bouncers jail. Not jail. A suspended sentence is NOT JAIL! 

Don't ever let a pursosedly dodgy headline get in the way of a even dodgier story. 

I do not like the box style, if one is on the ground, and then kick in his face with the foot.
If someone is down and not get up again, the fight is usually over.
But often not here.
They love to kick in the face again and again, when the unconscious counterparty can no longer defend themselves.
Bad style.

6 hours ago, Rob13 said:

Not so sure about this. They definitely went over board. But the Brits don't deserve my money, that's for sure.

They don't sound like Brits to me but they do sound like their behaviour deserved just what they received. The Buddy Beer Bar has been part of the KSR scene for over 25 years. A well oiled operation  providing backpackers with their needs. I've never heard of trouble there before. 

6 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

I do not like the box style, if one is on the ground, and then kick in his face with his foot.
If someone is down and not get up again, the fight is usually over.
But often not here.
They love to kick in the face again and again, when the unconscious counterparty can no longer defend themselves.
Bad style.

We all learn when we are 12 years old about how to fight- get em on the ground and kick them till they can not get up again.  England 65 no differentfrom Thai 2016. I think the bouncers did a good job and would like them protecting me from drunken backpackers.

Archived