Krabi faces 12-day blackout from August 20-31

snoop1130

Krabi faces 12-day blackout from August 20-31

Kritsada Mueanhawong

1_201681817253339_wsSZhxbSPFUilDzlEwghDMajgVloFHUCAmbhkDzz_jpeg.jpeg

KRABI:-- Hotel business operators in Krabi are preparing for blackouts scheduled from August 20-31 due to a halt in the gas supply used to generate electricity by the Malaysia-Thailand Joint Authority (JDA-A18). The interruption in supply is said to be due to annual maintenance. 

Business operators are checking the readiness of their own generators in order to combat the blackouts. 

“Even though the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT) has announced that they have reserved power for that period, we still have to be prepared,” said Ekwit Pinyotham, owner of the Peace Laguna Resort and Spa in Ao Nang, who has kept his 250-megawatt spare generator ready in case of a blackout. 

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Krabi-faces-12day-blackout-August-2031/65417?desktopversion

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2016-08-18

I'm not electrician. But that doesn't look like a 250 megawatt generator (which really would be a power plant instead of a generator, if actually that capacity).

And, if it WAS a 250 megawatt power plant, the hotel wouldn't have to worry about running short on power to serve all its rooms.

So something sounds a bit fishy, details wise...

Sometimes I wonder if the following sentences would make the journalists think:

Overstay fine in Thailand is now 500.000 baht per day.

The price of a new car is about 500 baht. 

A person should drink about 4.000 litres water per day.

The oldest person is now 113 thousands years old. 

Or perhaps it would be possible to get a loan of 1 million baht from a journo and pay 1 thousand back. 

Why it's so ok to do 1000 fold mistakes on sciences, but not when talking about money or similar issues? Aaarghh! I feel better now :)

Don't take numbers in the Thai / English press too serious.

I thought the joke in my post was obvious :whistling:

About every other day you find nidicolous mix-up of numbers/units in those reports.

Here obviously mixed up kW with MW which is subtle difference of 1:1000 :D

Recently I was fooled by a German language report where 38 Million Baht (from a Pattaya tabloid) simply became 38 Million Euro :facepalm:

23 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Wow, a resort with a 250 Megawatt generator.

Some power plants are smaller.

Hell, that's a monster :cheesy:

Yes! A 250 Megawatt Generator is a monster as I have worked with them. So judging from the photo of this Generator, it is nowhere near 250 Megawatts. 

With 250 Megawatts of Power you could provide electricity to about 250,000 homes. I doubt they even have 250 rooms in that hotel. 

My guess is that this is a Type-O Error. They added 3 extra zeros. I would guess this Generator is at most 250 Kilowatts, which in turn is enough to provide Power to about 250 homes, which for a large hotel and air-conditioning would be sized about right.

Archived