BBC IPlayer

jamie2009

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't access BBC iplayer anymore unless you pay a VPN set up to unblock it.

Wasn't worth the cost IMO but not really a problem, happier enough with other web sites to watch BBC news, films, TV series and there's YouTube.

Losing torrent was a bit inconvenient because l liked downloading MotoGP. 

Yup from the TV Licensing website here http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/bbc-iplayer-and-the-tv-licence there's more info on the site (you need a VPN or Hola to access it).

From 1 September 2016 you will need to be covered by a TV Licence to download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer. This applies to any device and provider you use.

Don't forget, you still need a TV Licence to watch or record programmes on any channel as they are being shown on TV or live on an online TV service.

Exactly how they are going to verify you have a licence is unclear as yet.

Not sure if it's related to this but I've been using Filmon to record TV shows (BBC, ITV etc) and then download to my laptop the next day. I noticed a couple of days ago that I can still record and watch the show on my laptop but don't have the download option any more.

13 minutes ago, rober507 said:

Not sure if it's related to this but I've been using Filmon to record TV shows (BBC, ITV etc) and then download to my laptop the next day. I noticed a couple of days ago that I can still record and watch the show on my laptop but don't have the download option any more.

I use Filmon too, but have not had access to BBC new and BBC1 since the Olympics, hope it improves when they have finished

21 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I used to be able to access the BBC iplayer using the chrome hula vpn but now can not. Has something changed.

Hola does still work, I just tried it on Chrome.

If you get the "only in the UK" message hover over the Hola drop down and you should see a "did it work" message, click on "no - fix it" and try again, you may need to hit no a few times before you get the "do you have a TV licence" message at which point saying yes should get you watching.

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Can't access BBC iplayer anymore unless you pay a VPN set up to unblock it.

Wasn't worth the cost IMO but not really a problem, happier enough with other web sites to watch BBC news, films, TV series and there's YouTube.

Losing torrent was a bit inconvenient because l liked downloading MotoGP. 

IF you're in the UK and you're watching BBC iPlayer and you don't have a television licence and you get caught then yes, you'll have to pay

I use UnoTelly's DNS service (not VPN) and watch television from the US, the UK and a number of other places that are supposedly geo-blocked. I don't anticipate this will change come 1 September

23 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

IF you're in the UK and you're watching BBC iPlayer and you don't have a television licence and you get caught then yes, you'll have to pay

If you access the TV licensing site I linked to earlier there are some weird conditions.

For example if you are watching on a portable device anywhere you're covered by your home TV licence, until you plug it in to the power, then you need a licence for your location.

13 minutes ago, Crossy said:

If you access the TV licensing site I linked to earlier there are some weird conditions.

For example if you are watching on a portable device anywhere you're covered by your home TV licence, until you plug it in to the power, then you need a licence for your location.

You're claiming that "your location" includes Thailand?

51 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I wonder how they check if the device is plugged into the power outlet on a wall or running on batteries?!

2 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

I wonder how they check if the device is plugged into the power outlet on a wall or running on batteries?!

Haha  I think the young ones had that covered too  they use the specially trained SPG hamster to plug things in.

1 hour ago, lelapin said:

Had used Torrentz for downloading TV series and when that stopped switched to Torrentfunk but that doesn't work now. Tried Pirate-bay  nproxy but having trouble with that.  Any suggestions what I could try now.

For TV?  Easy.  Well eztv dot it.

17 minutes ago, emilymat said:

My access to i player is as normal. However let' see what Sept 1 brings. Have the Ex-Pat TV anyway, so I don't use I player much - except for Parliamentary Channel. Sad eh!  :(

17 minutes ago, emilymat said:

My access to i player is as normal. However let' see what Sept 1 brings. Have the Ex-Pat TV anyway, so I don't use I player much - except for Parliamentary Channel. Sad eh!  :(

I emailed My Expat, they didn't know but advised me to get a UK TV Licence and even sent me the link.

i think after September the 1st you will have to log in using your TV Licence numbers 

5 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

I don't know, are you? If not, what is the relevance of your post for people living in Thailand?

Since you are not permitted to use iPlayer from outside the UK then this entire topic is, by your logic, not relevant to those living in Thailand (or Australia).

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

Hola does still work, I just tried it on Chrome.

If you get the "only in the UK" message hover over the Hola drop down and you should see a "did it work" message, click on "no - fix it" and try again, you may need to hit no a few times before you get the "do you have a TV licence" message at which point saying yes should get you watching.

Don't work me or any of the things posted here,  me being with fibre True maybe True wants more dosh per month from me. :lol:

19 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Don't work me or any of the things posted here,  me being with fibre True maybe True wants more dosh per month from me. :lol:

How many times did you click "no - fix it"?

One more would have done it.

12 minutes ago, Crossy said:

How many times did you click "no - fix it"?

One more would have done it.

Fix it use to work after a few times but now after about 20 or more l gave up.

Going on the help thingy it said l need to subscribe to a VPN site to get  BBC iplayer.

23 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

yet again i am amazed to see the amount of ex pats on here that have zero clue about how to watch uk tv.........seriously.......how do you all make it through the day?

Please enlighten us how to do it

Archived