BBC IPlayer

jamie2009

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, johng said:

Please enlighten us how to do it

1. You join a service like UnoTelly's Smart DNS (a few $ a month)
  2. You enter the IP addresses they provide in your router
  3. You buy a product like the Roku from Amazon in the UK (another few $ up-front cost)
  4. You set up your Roku with a UK address - any UK address will do, I use the UK HQ of the multinational I used to work for

That's it - and it's only one of any number of ways of doing the same thing. An Amazon Fire Stick can be substituted for a Roku, and there are a number of SmartDNS providers around (let Google be your friend). As well, the Apple TV4 will give you access to the BBC iPlayer but not Channel 4 nor the ITV Hub. Companies like ExPat TV provide all of the above in one turnkey solution, and charge you  a significant on-going fee for the privilege. If you can't do #2 yourself, get some smart kid from among your neighbours to do it for you, but UnoTelly provide step-by-step instructions. Exactly the same process for the US.

It's 2016 now, not 1996 or whenever people have got their personal technology memories cached. There's a whole world of services designed to ignore, avoid or evade rent-seeking governments and media corporations via SmartDNS and licence-sharing sites such as SlingSharing. If - as one poster suggested - the iPlayer demands a licence number to be entered (something I very much doubt), I'd head straight to SlingSharing and buy a share of someone else's for a few pennies

I remember backpacking 30 years ago and part of the kit was always a shortwave radio, listen to BBC world service and Radio Australia.

It was great technology, no cost, no internet access required, no Geo Blocking, no VPN needed, no TV license needed. 

I recall sitting in a remote village in nepal that didnt even have electricity, listening to the football grand final.

33 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:
  1. You join a service like UnoTelly's Smart DNS (a few $ a month)
  2. You enter the IP addresses they provide in your router
  3. You buy a product like the Roku from Amazon in the UK (another few $ up-front cost)
  4. You set up your Roku with a UK address - any UK address will do, I use the UK HQ of the multinational I used to work for

That's it - and it's only one of any number of ways of doing the same thing. An Amazon Fire Stick can be substituted for a Roku, and there are a number of SmartDNS providers around (let Google be your friend). As well, the Apple TV4 will give you access to the BBC iPlayer but not Channel 4 nor the ITV Hub. Companies like ExPat TV provide all of the above in one turnkey solution, and charge you  a significant on-going fee for the privilege. If you can't do #2 yourself, get some smart kid from among your neighbours to do it for you, but UnoTelly provide step-by-step instructions. Exactly the same process for the US.

It's 2016 now, not 1996 or whenever people have got their personal technology memories cached. There's a whole world of services designed to ignore, avoid or evade rent-seeking governments and media corporations via SmartDNS and licence-sharing sites such as SlingSharing. If - as one poster suggested - the iPlayer demands a licence number to be entered (something I very much doubt), I'd head straight to SlingSharing and buy a share of someone else's for a few pennies

As you say, lots of ways of getting the content. A simple way to get lots of content is Kodi (mediaplayer, streaming, client server). Its free and runs on all platforms, 100s of addons for getting all sorts of content. Currently people use the UKturks addon for UK content.

The good thing is, if there is a change at the UK end (new IP address etc) the people who write the addon do an update, you get the update, and it keeps working.

14 hours ago, Crossy said:

How many times did you click "no - fix it"?

One more would have done it.

Thanks for the advice, i have 2 modern laptops in the house and tried in vain to get them to access the iplayer clicking "no fix it" many times.  Having failed with them i tried on an old laptop i have and it worked first time - very strange.

24 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

As you say, lots of ways of getting the content. A simple way to get lots of content is Kodi (mediaplayer, streaming, client server). Its free and runs on all platforms, 100s of addons for getting all sorts of content. Currently people use the UKturks addon for UK content.

The good thing is, if there is a change at the UK end (new IP address etc) the people who write the addon do an update, you get the update, and it keeps working.

Sure but why tie up a multi-use device when you can have a dedicated one?

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

The BBCiPlayer Kodi add-on still runs without VPN. UKTurks is live streams only.

I also remember backpacking 30 years ago and part of the kit was always a shortwave radio, to listen to BBC world service - I still have the original one bought in 1989 (and used by the MIL when she stays) and a new one bought in 2006 and barely used. Loved and treasured them...there was something magical and comforting back then about being able to listen to the Beeb so far from home

I recall sitting in a cheap hotel in China - China had not long been opened to foreigners - rainy night, poor radio reception, room full of people trying to follow the 1989 Scouse FA Cup final on my shortwave.

The radio was so important to everybody in the days following Tienamen Square massacre, during the curfew, when all news broadcasts in english were blocked by the chinese, and loads of us would gather outside the hotel for the best radio reception, on the hour, to listen to a translation by a backpacker of the news in german - chinese hadn't thought to block german news.

Sorry for reminiscing. Back to your subject.

Now I'm the American who is a self confessed Anglophile, so be gentle with me. Here is my current config, and what I 'think' the future holds with regard to the BBC.

Currently I use a Roku, configured with a UK based account (courtesy of a UK based friend) which allows me access to BBC iplayer, 4OD, ITV etc apps.

I use a DNS proxy on top of a VPN, my current DNS proxy is smartdnsproxy.com.

What I suspect will happen with the BBC access will be something akin to what I have to do with certain US channels. With them, I need to validate that I have a current cable subscription in the US, which carries the streaming channels I am trying to access. I suspect that the BBC will at some point in the near future require a similar validation.  I've already taken steps with my UK friend to get TV license numbers etc, which is the only way I can conceive that they will try to enforce the law

But I'm afraid that after 1st September you will need a license number and verify who you are , every time you use a browser or an app , if they start to ask for a license VPN will be no good anymore.    :(

On 20/08/2016 at 2:04 AM, Peterw42 said:

I remember backpacking 30 years ago and part of the kit was always a shortwave radio, listen to BBC world service and Radio Australia.

It was great technology, no cost, no internet access required, no Geo Blocking, no VPN needed, no TV license needed. 

I recall sitting in a remote village in nepal that didnt even have electricity, listening to the football grand final.

Yes I remember 30 odd years ago backpacking in India around Amritsar before smart phones were even thought of and thinking "I do not know what is happening in the rest of the world" it was a bit of a shock realising I was totally away from international news.

Yes I remember 30 odd years ago backpacking in India around Amritsar before smart phones were even thought of and thinking "I do not know what is happening in the rest of the world" it was a bit of a shock realising I was totally away from international news.

Well I'm going to roam off the reservation, for a moment, just to mourn the loss of the old World Service.
I was probably the sole Hispanic kid sat in his bedroom in the Californian central valley listening to the BBC on shortwave. I liked the fact that everyone spoke with their perfect English accents, I didn't need ethnicity, I could get that everyday of my life.
The world service of old opened my eyes to a world far beyond what I could see; news, drama, comedy, in many ways it made me the man I am today.
That's why I find it tragic what it has become, nothing more than a 'me too' 24 hour news network, spouting trivia and spin.

Sad loss for the teenage boys like me, still sat in their bedrooms longing for something to inspire them

20 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well I'm going to roam off the reservation, for a moment, just to mourn the loss of the old World Service.
I was probably the sole Hispanic kid sat in his bedroom in the Californian central valley listening to the BBC on shortwave. I liked the fact that everyone spoke with their perfect English accents, I didn't need ethnicity, I could get that everyday of my life.
The world service of old opened my eyes to a world far beyond what I could see; news, drama, comedy, in many ways it made me the man I am today.
That's why I find it tragic what it has become, nothing more than a 'me too' 24 hour news network, spouting trivia and spin.

Sad loss for the teenage boys like me, still sat in their bedrooms longing for something to inspire them

I know what you mean, I remember as a child in the 60s listening to the BBC LW Shipping Forecast, I had no idea what Dogger or Forties or Cromarty were (and no Google) but the way it was done always seemed so very reassuring, 

"Tyne, Dogger. Northeast 3 or 4. Occasional rain. Moderate or poor."

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Suddenly from this last weekend 22/10, I can no longer view BBC iPlayer, even via VPN.

Anyone else having luck via VPN?

No problem the weekend before.

If your only goal is to circumvent geoblocking Smart DNS (DNS proxy) is more effective than VPN nowadays. It is also less likely to suffer buffering issues. The cost is similar to a VPN subscription and some providers offer both Smart DNS and VPN in one package 

You can (still) watch BBC iplayer content easily via a Kodi addon which doesn't require either VPN or Smart DNS. Google "bbc iplayer mikey1234". Once you have installed the addon go to addon settings and enable Proxy.

15 hours ago, phetphet said:

Suddenly from this last weekend 22/10, I can no longer view BBC iPlayer, even via VPN.

Anyone else having luck via VPN?

No problem the weekend before.

I use Hoxx VPN, just been on to BBC iplayer,first time with this pc,and a pop up,

asked have you got Tv licence, yes no, click yes no problem,on my other pc it

asked the same question,that was a couple weeks ago,and never asked again,

plan B would just use my daughters license number (hope she has one), BBC

drama ,Documentaries ,are the best in the World,and would hate to lose the

chance to view them,you can see most of them via streaming sites anyway.

regards worgeordie.           Free Browsec VPN does not work for iPlayer, Hoxx have Free service but it's limited to  xx GB ?

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

I use Hoxx VPN, just been on to BBC iplayer,first time with this pc,and a pop up,

asked have you got Tv licence, yes no, click yes no problem,on my other pc it

asked the same question,that was a couple weeks ago,and never asked again,

plan B would just use my daughters license number (hope she has one), BBC

drama ,Documentaries ,are the best in the World,and would hate to lose the

chance to view them,you can see most of them via streaming sites anyway.

regards worgeordie.           Free Browsec VPN does not work for iPlayer, Hoxx have Free service but it's limited to  xx GB ?

I use VPN Express. Tried to download last Friday's episode of The Graham Norton Show. I know what you mean about the TV Licence question. I had the same a week or two ago, and clicked "Yes".

At the moment I get the viewing box for the requested show, but it stays black, with no "Download" option. I have tried different servers, but still no luck. I know the BBC are tightening things up regarding overseas viewers, but wanted to make sure its not just me having this problem.

I do have other alternatives to watch (KODI, IPTV), but sometimes I like to download stuff to watch when travelling.

I tried the SMART DNS route before, Unblock.us. Don't know if I had it set up wrong, but I found it too much hassle on my tv, and switching on and off on my router. Might try another VPN free trial to test.

3 hours ago, phetphet said:

I use VPN Express. Tried to download last Friday's episode of The Graham Norton Show. I know what you mean about the TV Licence question. I had the same a week or two ago, and clicked "Yes".

At the moment I get the viewing box for the requested show, but it stays black, with no "Download" option. I have tried different servers, but still no luck. I know the BBC are tightening things up regarding overseas viewers, but wanted to make sure its not just me having this problem.

I do have other alternatives to watch (KODI, IPTV), but sometimes I like to download stuff to watch when travelling.

I tried the SMART DNS route before, Unblock.us. Don't know if I had it set up wrong, but I found it too much hassle on my tv, and switching on and off on my router. Might try another VPN free trial to test.

Clear your cache and browsing history,i use ccleaner quick and easy, sometimes when i go to iPlayer and forget to click on VPN,

it says iplayer only for UK, blah blah,so I  run ccleaner, click on VPN and go to iplayer ,and all is well. try it

regards worgeordie

Archived