New Phuket airport terminal set for September opening

webfact

New Phuket airport terminal set for September opening

Chanida Summast

1471518813_1-org.jpg

The model of the new terminal at Phuket Airport went on display at Central festival Phuket today. Photo: Chanida Summast

PHUKET: -- It was announced today (Aug 18) that no formal date has yet been set for the opening of the new passenger terminal at Phuket International Airport, however, it was said that the opening will definitely go ahead some time in September.

The announcement was made by Director of Phuket International Airport Mrs Monrudee Gettuphan at a press held at Central Festival Phuket together with Vice Governor Khajornkiet Rakpanichmanee.

“No exact date has been set for the opening, but I will have a meeting later today with relevant officials where I am hoping the date will be set. However, I can confirm that it will open in September,” Mrs Monrudee said.

“The new terminal is finished and ready to accommodate 12.5 million passengers a year with five million being from international fights and the remainder from domestic fights.

“Tests started being carried out on Tuesday (Aug 16) and will be complete by Sept 7,” she added.

She then went on to apologise for the power outage within the existing terminal yesterday (Aug 17) which was required so that local electricity authority workers could upgrade high-voltage power lines in the area. 

“We apologise for the blackout at the airport yesterday, however it was necessary that the power was cut so that new power lines could be installed. Hopefully this is something that will not occur again,” she said.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/new-phuket-airport-terminal-set-for-september-opening-58759.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-08-19

“The new terminal is finished and ready to accommodate 12.5 million passengers a year with five million being from international fights and the remainder from domestic fights. "

I think something has gone wrong with the translation. I was under the impression that the current terminal is to be used for domestic flights. Edit: I see from the full article that it is, but only after extensive refurbishment. I hope they sort the plumbing out- it was worse than an Indian Airport at times.

Archived