Thai tourists blamed for messy behavior - not setting a good example to foreigners

webfact

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Pepper1959 said:

Go to a major temple in India and there is always a guy who is responsible for the shoes. You will pay him say, in Thai, a baht and he maintains the shoes in order, and of course stops them being stolen. The great thing about these guys is that with the huge population he never forgets the person and which shoes go together, a fantastic skill. 

Your are stretching it just a little if you expect skill in LOS!

2 hours ago, sandrabbit said:

My wife and her brother will sit outside in the garden and remove the seal from a water bottle and throw it on the ground, it just comes natural to them. The local beach looks like a disaster zone after a holiday although the council has provided rubbish bins all the way up the beach and collect the rubbish regularly.

In the neighborhood..., Mae Ramphung.  The government areas with no chairs are like trash bins at end of weekend.  Bins are ignored by most..., NOT ALL.  Irritating if not infuriating.   There's now a Wednesday mandatory beach clean up day that all beach vendors are required to work or lose their lease.  See how that goes but last 2 Wednesdays have been impressive! 

Most the Thais who have holiday condos (I call them closets) here are the worst offenders.  They come down for an overnight, abuse the staff, and walk about with attitudes.  I wink and smile at them uttering my best "Sabai dee mai?" as they eye me back and quickly scamper off to their trashy little rooms.  

Easy remedy - start patrolling and fining aggressively for littering.  $ 2,500THB should get the word out.  Ya, that's never going to happen. 

It can be very depressing with the rubbish situation here in Thailand because the effect is cumulative and after 25 years of observation, I have only seen an acceleration level of plastic discarded in this part of Thailand. Iwant to feel optimistic but instead get quite depressed. When riding a bicycle, especially in the dry season it is painfully obvious when the vegetation has died back the verges are completely covered in plastic of all descriptions and as others have said, Ban Chang beaches are in a dreadful state. See photos of the beach at U Tapao taken recently. The problem is that Thailand has very bad timing when it comes to development and rubbish control.

At the time the UK was developing and its citizens was throwing their rubbish around the countryside it was mostly paper, wood, tin cans, ceramics and some glass. The trouble is, in Thailand it is mostly plastic which is unnatural and potentially very damaging to the ecosystem and almost impossible to remove once it has been broken down into smaller pieces or incorporated with the soil etc. The few countries left in the World which have not reached the stage of having convenience stores and a population with budgets to buy plastic, but no sense of responsibility to dispose of it, when they get to that stage in the future will most likely be throwing 'smart plastics' away and hopefully avoid such detrimental contamination. This leaves countries such as Thailand, Indonesia and China (worst offenders for discharge of plastic in the sea by the way), as having the hardest job clearing up this mess in the future after they get to the point where they take their environment seriously. Alas, by then the damage is done.

The photos below are mostly of rubbish swept in from the sea but nearly all were local brand containers so presumably, one way or the other originated from Thailand and were purchased and disposed of in the kingdom and surrounding seas. By contrast, I visited very secluded parts of the shoreline in Wales recently which would have had no clean up crews and there was very little evidence of any seaborne plastic.

rubbish1.jpg

rubbish2.jpg

1 hour ago, Bantex said:

Back home people get an £80 fine for littering.

I keep a plastic bag in the car for our litter and place it in a bin at the end of the journey. Still have problems with some of her family who think it's OK to drop their rubbish on the floor inside my house even though the bin is two feet away.

I'm amazed that 'her family' drop rubbish on the floor.  I saw this all over China, where restaurant patrons just poked every scrap, tissue etc under the table.   Later I was amazed to see people walking along a footpath, discarding wrappers, peels and the like.  

2 hours ago, sandrabbit said:

My wife and her brother will sit outside in the garden and remove the seal from a water bottle and throw it on the ground, it just comes natural to them. The local beach looks like a disaster zone after a holiday although the council has provided rubbish bins all the way up the beach and collect the rubbish regularly.

I'm generally against government intervention but they should make those stupid plastic water bottle seals illegal.

15 minutes ago, tpaul1 said:

The photos below are mostly of rubbish swept in from the sea but nearly all were local brand containers so presumably, one way or the other originated from Thailand and were purchased and disposed of in the kingdom and surrounding seas. By contrast, I visited very secluded parts of the shoreline in Wales recently which would have had no clean up crews and there was very little evidence of any seaborne plastic.

Those photos are seriously depressing.

5 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Oh dear, a "shoe sweeping" incident.

When we get a load of family visitors up from BKK during holidays, they walk right out of their sandals up onto the patio.  I let them know to simply shift the shoes to the right or left a bit to leave a path.  It's like talking to a brick wall. 

By day 2, I just kick all the shoes out of way into a heap a few times a day. 

55,exactly what i do,but i do kick them a bit further.

43 minutes ago, tpaul1 said:

It can be very depressing with the rubbish situation here in Thailand because the effect is cumulative and after 25 years of observation, I have only seen an acceleration level of plastic discarded in this part of Thailand. Iwant to feel optimistic but instead get quite depressed. When riding a bicycle, especially in the dry season it is painfully obvious when the vegetation has died back the verges are completely covered in plastic of all descriptions and as others have said, Ban Chang beaches are in a dreadful state. See photos of the beach at U Tapao taken recently. The problem is that Thailand has very bad timing when it comes to development and rubbish control.

At the time the UK was developing and its citizens was throwing their rubbish around the countryside it was mostly paper, wood, tin cans, ceramics and some glass. The trouble is, in Thailand it is mostly plastic which is unnatural and potentially very damaging to the ecosystem and almost impossible to remove once it has been broken down into smaller pieces or incorporated with the soil etc. The few countries left in the World which have not reached the stage of having convenience stores and a population with budgets to buy plastic, but no sense of responsibility to dispose of it, when they get to that stage in the future will most likely be throwing 'smart plastics' away and hopefully avoid such detrimental contamination. This leaves countries such as Thailand, Indonesia and China (worst offenders for discharge of plastic in the sea by the way), as having the hardest job clearing up this mess in the future after they get to the point where they take their environment seriously. Alas, by then the damage is done.

rubbish1.jpg

rubbish2.jpg

Labelled as "culture" so many Thais chuck all their crap on the floor by me its unbelievable, follow the cars down the road as the stuff comes out the windows. Theyre filthy buggers and dont give s h1t about anything but themselves

3 hours ago, sandrabbit said:

Bloody hell,haven't you even trained your own family yet.Village kids come over most days and use my wifi.Read them the riot act once,and now everything is clean,lights and fan turned off for a least 5 years now.

3 hours ago, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

I do love living here but honestly Thais are PIGS!!!

They take no pride in their countries cleanliness yet get so offended when others talk about it.

And get so excited when a farang goes and cleans up some beaches, which tends to get front page news attention.

If you threw some litter on the ground in Canada you would have everyone around you yelling at you to clean it up, everyone from schoolchildren to old people. 

It's about instilling a culture of cleanliness and pride in the citizens.

Would be nice to see that here. That is something that would REALLY help tourism. Forget Pokeman GO

If i see a particularly bad episode of rubbish disposal,i let them know.I ask them do they love Thailand and the answer is always yes.I say"no you don't or you wouldn't throw rubbish everywhere".No reply and no pickup either but maybe they will think about it,maybe.

2 hours ago, NextStationBangkok said:

My two cents. Count the cigarette butts on the popular tourist beaches, you can count an average 7-10 per sq. meter of sand. Whom to blame Thai's or Farangs ?  :whistling: There is voice blaming too many 7-11's....:clap2:

When it comes to throwing butts away there is no race barrier there.99.9% of smokers are pigs.

1 hour ago, kannot said:

Ive got a  really good  idea..................why not just leave  your shoes on?

I wouldn't tread shit into my house, so I won't tread it into a temple.

Do you tread shit into your house then?

Most Thais keep their homes clean but forget about the trash outside,  so Thais do look after their own house and take care of their personal body hygiene.  

What is outside their own door is not so important. 

I think Global Warming will be pretty significant before Thai's change their values.  In most places in Thailand can not find a place to put garbage.

Even in major malls in Bangkok, spend a lot of time looking for some where to put garbage.  They have lots of people ready to pick up if tossed on the

floor. 

How would they know any better? Who is there to teach them about anything? The auto industry teaches them how to drive from adverts.  The mobile phone industry teaches them how to be oblivious.  Thais are proud of there littering capacity I would surmise. 

5 hours ago, NextStationBangkok said:

My two cents. Count the cigarette butts on the popular tourist beaches, you can count an average 7-10 per sq. meter of sand. Whom to blame Thai's or Farangs ?  :whistling: There is voice blaming too many 7-11's....:clap2:

Obviously an ex-smoker!

2 hours ago, louse1953 said:

If i see a particularly bad episode of rubbish disposal,i let them know.I ask them do they love Thailand and the answer is always yes.I say"no you don't or you wouldn't throw rubbish everywhere".No reply and no pickup either but maybe they will think about it,maybe.

no they wont all theyll think is "piss off back to your own country" ..seriously thats what theyll think

19 minutes ago, sambum said:

And get your uppity Thai wife to sweep up all the sand in your house every day?

I dont live on a beach, my Wife doesnt live with me, i do my own cleaning so?

Archived